Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Mossberg 14" PGO

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    That's certainly relevant, but the Streetsweeper, USAS-12, front grips on TEC-9 pistols, and the Akins Accelerator were also non-NFA . . . until ATF changed its mind.
    I am making comments on the current legality of the Shockwave. Yes, anything can happen in the future in regards to these guns, but it's
    pretty clear that it is legal federally and in PA.

(Berks County)

Is your length under 26" that is had to be a SBS?

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    This is my sbs with the shockwave. This is so close to that thing it's not even funny

(Lackawanna County)

I don't remember the exact length but it does when I put the shoulder stock on it. Plus it's a 12 inch barrel and started out as a real shotgun. I bought the shockwave grip for shits and giggles. The way I see that mossberg is it's just asking to get stuck and it's only one idiot sending s clarification letter to make you in possession of an nfa item without proper paperwork.

(Berks County)

^Got it. Was a shotgun, shoulder stock, 12" barrel surely puts OAL under 26" as well.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    No, it looks more like a DD:

26 U.S. Code § 5845(f) Destructive device

The term “destructive device” means (1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (E) mine, or (F) similar device; (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.
    Or shotgun shell. The firearm is not a shotgun but it shoots a shotgun shell. Mossburg will pump out a billion of these and everyone will end up owning two.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    I don't remember the exact length but it does when I put the shoulder stock on it. Plus it's a 12 inch barrel and started out as a real shotgun. I bought the shockwave grip for shits and giggles. The way I see that mossberg is it's just asking to get stuck and it's only one idiot sending s clarification letter to make you in possession of an nfa item without proper paperwork.
    If street sweeper is president you will then fill out paperwork and own a very good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Or shotgun shell. The firearm is not a shotgun but it shoots a shotgun shell. Mossburg will pump out a billion of these and everyone will end up owning two.
    "shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes;" "sporting purposes" is the key to not being a DD or not

(Wyoming County)

I had been following this thread with great interest, but then lost track of it.

There are many great comments and I get the fine line of the DD concern, but I kept wondering why this doesn't get called a "handgun" do a record of sale along with the 4473 and just treat it like a AR pistol?

How is it different than a Taurus Judge or S&W Governor?

I have yet to see any official position from the PSP.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I had been following this thread with great interest, but then lost track of it.

There are many great comments and I get the fine line of the DD concern, but I kept wondering why this doesn't get called a "handgun" do a record of sale along with the 4473 and just treat it like a AR pistol?

the barrel isnt rifled and the bore is over 50cal so it cant be a "pistol" the judge and governer are 45cal pistols that just happen to be able to chamber a 410.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post

Those two you mention above are handguns because they have a rifled bore. It is NOT the cartridge that makes the firearm, otherwise anytime you fired a CCI .22 shotshell, or a CCI .38/.357 shotshell, out of .22 or .38/.357 caliber firearms, respectively, they would be come a "shotguns" - which they do not.

Those two handguns are .45 caliber revolvers with rifled bores. It just so happens that a .410bore shell is nearly the same diameter as a .45Colt. .....so, all they had to do is lengthen the cylinder to accommodate .410 shells.

I've said this countless times here.. The Thunder 5, Taurus Judge, S&W Governor, T/C Contender, oddball derringers, etc that are chambered for .45Colt/.410 are .45caliber handguns with rifled bores. Shotguns have smoothbores. AOW's can have smoothbores. DD's can have smoothbores. SBS's can have smoothbores.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast