Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Mossberg 14" PGO

Letters like that are what got the ATF to make legal stuff illegal.

Good luck. I wouldn't take the response you get as any more legit than from a cop or a gun shop counter guy.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Letters like that are what got the ATF to make legal stuff illegal.

Good luck. I wouldn't take the response you get as any more legit than from a cop or a gun shop counter guy.
    Agreed.

It's not classified as a shotgun at the time of manufacturing so it cannot legally be an altered or sawed off shotgun.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 11th, 2017 at 04:25 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    So to open up an old can of worms on the legality of the items like the Mossberg Shockwave 590. Here's a draft of something I've put together to send to the PA AG. Any thoughts?

I am contacting your office for confirmation of the legality of possession of the Mossberg Shockwave 590 firearm. This item has 14” long smooth bore barrel, a 26-1/4” overall length, and fires shotgun shells.

ATF does not classify the Shockwave 590 as a NFA firearm because overall length is greater than 26”. So no NFA registration and tax stamp are required, as it is neither a Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS) nor Any Other Weapon (AOW)

Pennsylvania law prohibits ‘sawed off shotguns’ with barrels less than 18” in length, but the Mossberg Shockwave 590 is classified as ‘other’ on ATF Form 4473 because ATF does not classify it as a shotgun. This is because a shotgun, by ATF definition, possesses a stock and can be fired from the shoulder. Further, since it has a factory 14” barrel, the barrel is not ‘sawed off.’ Therefore, since the Mossberg Shockwave 590 is not a shotgun, nor is the barrel ’sawed off’, it certainly cannot be a 'sawed off shotgun' or Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS).

The Mossberg Shockwave 590 is also not classified by ATF as Any Other Weapon (AOW). This is because ATF has long held that in order to receive the status of AOW, an item must be ‘capable of being concealed on the person’, and that status only applies if the item has an overall length of less than 26”.

Therefore, since ATF does not consider the Mossberg Shockwave 590 a firearm as defined by NFA (SBS or AOW), and it is also not a shotgun, no law would prohibit its possession in Pennsylvania. I appreciate your time to confirm the legality of the Mossberg Shockwave 590 in Pennsylvania.

Thank you very much for your time.
    Hello esh,

Thank you for writing me on this very important matter.
    My staff informed me of this potentially dangerous legal issue and I felt it best that I address this directly.

As a strong supporter of hunting rights as well as the rest of the constitution, I can assure you that I have your best interests in mind when say that I will lobby to end all confusion by removing these dangerous weapons from the hands of civilians.
    A weapon of this configuration is clearly intended to circumvent the law by using loopholes and clearly has no sporting purpose as was intended by the founding fathers when they penned the US constitution.

As the top attorney in the commonwealth, you have come to the right man. I will not let you down - I must not - not when innocent lives are at stake.

Thank you for alerting me to this matter.

Sincerely,
    J0sh Shapir0
    Attorney General, Pennsylvania

A reminder... (from this post)

Josh Shapiro- Anti-gun –supported by ceasefire-PA
    Has a D rating from the NRA Political Victory Fund

From Montgomery County- Endorsed by Gov. Wolf and Ed Rendell. Those endorsements should say where he stands on gun rights. Also according to an article in the Morning Call newspaper Shapiro made the following statement in a debate:
    http://www.mcall.com/news/local/elec...220-story.html

“Asked how he would reduce gun violence, Shapiro said he would use his office to ensure that Pennsylvania closes legal loopholes that allow some gun ownership to be transferred from Florida to Pennsylvania. He also said he would use the bully pulpit to stand up to the National Rifle Association.”
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Thanks for the reality check, lol. I guess I just wanted further reassurance (in writing) that couldn't be disputed in the future, and was thinking about 'doing the right thing.' But you guys are right, that often leads to further oppression. If it were used in a self defense situation, what disaster would develop.

How about this? Does anyone here own a 14" birds head PGO and willing to chime in? I asked earlier if anyone had experience with Elk County Ammo and Arms in St. Mary's, who is selling a version of this, and there were no replies. I've emailed them and all they say is that it's not NFA and federally legal. I wonder if I called them if they could provide anything that specifically states PA legality.

wether this AG says its good to go or not that opinion can change like a fart in the breeze. if you have your own land that youll shoot it on id go for it but if you drive to a range i think too many questions could be asked...

(Chester County)

I got to hold the Mossberg Shockwave this weekend. I thought it felt uncomfortable and unnatural to hold.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I got to hold the Mossberg Shockwave this weekend. I thought it felt uncomfortable and unnatural to hold.
    I actually found it a bit more ergonomic than a standard pistol grip. But different people will have different opinions. Some people like how flip-flops feel, some don't.

Here's a very good overview on different types of shotguns for SD situations.

(Allegheny County)

I shot my pistol grip 500 with the buckshot mini shotgun shells, and for the first time I actually enjoyed shooting it. If I bought one of these it's the only ammo I'd shoot out of it.

just put the birdshead grip on the chainsaw for hip shootn action https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+Grip+CHAINSAW

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast