Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Advice/Experience on classifieds

We recently had a thread here, since closed, on classifieds.

My question is actually seeking advice:

I regularly see classifieds with woefully unrealistic prices. E.g. 9mm or .223 ammo (my interests) at prices higher/same as brand-new/commercial pricing. Ditto for many firearms: folks looking for 'retail' pricing for an aftermarket transaction.

I've posted a couple classified here myself, with (I think) fair aftermarket pricing. In the case of ammo, e.g., 33% ish off regular retail, and seen them move quickly.

Is there any point making these folks an offer? Are they best ignored? Is this a case of "ads that sit and sit are sitting for a reason?" Is there a point in trying to engage them at reasonable 'aftermarket' prices? Or simply 'let it go' and watch them "bump" the ad over and over...

Just seeking to get some 'collective wisdom' from those with more experience than I with PAFOA classified.

KC
    DGAF

Default Re: Advice/Experience on classifieds

If someone is selling with retail prices listed then I just ignore the ad. If they overpriced their item intentionally expecting low ball offers then that's their mistake.

I have an issue when a standard Glock what ever carries a $900.00 price tag because of a collection of crappy accessories I don't want or need. Same goes for AR's and most everything else. Your used beat up holsters aren't worth 50% of their original cost. Better yet keep them because I know what works for me and will stick with that brand.

Taking a loss sucks but it's a part of the used or secondary market on most modern run of the mill firearms, that's just life. I've sold a lot here over here the last few years and have always done well. Some of my listings that have not done as well I either keep it or move it to a wider audience on GunBroker and typically get what I want or more depending on the item but it also comes with the hassle of shipping and listing fees.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 27th, 2017 at 07:02 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: Advice/Experience on classifieds

There is a wide degree of sophistication on here. Some folks know what they have and what is reasonable, others not so much. My system is to check the better on line sources like gun broker, ammoseek, and others and them start my ad a bit below or at least competitive with those. If I don't get takers I will lower the price after a time.

If I see something that tickles my fancy, I will usually contact the other party and see of they are open to discussion and we can come to terms and close the deal. The normal response is usually positive, but not always. What I do not like is folks who do not respond in any manner. It is not hard to say at minimum 'thanks but no thanks'. Sometimes it takes a bit of education or discussion (on either or both ends) to get folks who overvalue or do not understand what their goods are worth in the open market. Rarely, it shows me why their price is actually quite reasonable. Lowballers are just one of the pains that are part of the game, and I normally give them the polite 'thanks but no' mentioned earlier.

If you do not want to deal with people and only want the one price or else, you likely are in the wrong place. At least send me a reply that says I am an inflexible ass who does not really want to sell this item, so I know not to deal with you. I do check feedback, it can be helpful.

The ones who really piss me off are the ones who post an ad, quite reasonable, then do not sign on again for a week.
    Last edited by gghbi; January 27th, 2017 at 08:35 PM.

My thoughts are if you see something you like, make an offer. It takes less than a minute of your time and the worse that will happen is they will ignore or say no. Making an offer costs you nothing.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    There is a wide degree of sophistication on here. Some folks know what they have and what is reasonable, others not so much. My system is to check the better on line sources like gun broker, ammoseek, and others and them start my ad a bit below or at least competitive with those. If I don't get takers I will lower the price after a time.

If I see something that tickles my fancy, I will usually contact the other party and see of they are open to discussion and we can come to terms and close the deal. The normal response is usually positive, but not always. What I do not like is folks who do not respond in any manner. It is not hard to say at minimum 'thanks but no thanks'. Sometimes it takes a bit of education or discussion (on either or both ends) to get folks who overvalue or do not understand what their goods are worth in the open market. Rarely, it shows me why their price is actually quite reasonable. Lowballers are just one of the pains that are part of the game, and I normally give them the polite 'thanks but no' mentioned earlier.

If you do not want to deal with people and only want the one price or else, you likely are in the wrong place. At least send me a reply that says I am an inflexible ass who does not really want to sell this item, so I know not to deal with you. I do check feedback, it can be helpful.

The ones who really piss me off are the ones who post an ad, quite reasonable, then do not sign on again for a week.
    Thanks, it's actually very helpful to know that you've found reasonable offers are worth the effort. And I agree that if you're going to sell here, sell here. Don't come back 1x a week just to 'bump' your listing.
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    My thoughts are if you see something you like, make an offer. It takes less than a minute of your time and the worse that will happen is they will ignore or say no. Making an offer costs you nothing.
    Yeah, true. And yes it 'costs' me nothing to make an offer. OTOH, my experience is it's not even worth the minute or two to make an offer when folks clearly have unreasonable prices. Was just seeking some guidance/experience on that in particular.
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    If someone is selling with retail prices listed then I just ignore the ad. If they overpriced their item intentionally expecting low ball offers then that's their mistake.

I have an issue when a standard Glock what ever carries a $900.00 price tag because of a collection of crappy accessories I don't want or need. Same goes for AR's and most everything else. Your used beat up holsters aren't worth 50% of their original cost. Better yet keep them because I know what works for me and will stick with that brand.

Taking a loss sucks but it's a part of the used or secondary market on most modern run of the mill firearms, that's just life. I've sold a lot here over here the last few years and have always done well. Some of my listings that have not done as well I either keep it or move it to a wider audience on GunBroker and typically get what I want or more depending on the item but it also comes with the hassle of shipping and listing fees.
    Thanks for the insight, Hodgie. You've honed in on exactly what I'm asking about: if someone thinks they're getting 'retail' price for their secondary-market item, is it worth engaging with them to try and make a reasonable offer (nobody, including me, likes equally-unrealistic lowballers).

E.g. most recently (i.e. today) I sold some ammo for $0.15 a round after having paid 0.25 a round for it new. I thought it was a fair asking price, and hope my buyer felt the same. But I'd neither offer at (nor buy at) $0.20+ a round for that same ammo. To me that's not 'sufficient' discount to give up the advantages of buying new, from a professional vendor, using my credit card, return policy, etc. etc. OTOH, if someone had offered me $0.10 per round for it, my response would have been a (polite) version of "pound sand"...

I guess one man's 'reasonable' is another man's lowball is another man's overpriced is all.
    DGAF

My experience is no, it's not worth giving an offer. They'll act like you've insulted then. Just move to the next one.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    My experience is no, it's not worth giving an offer. They'll act like you've insulted then. Just move to the next one.
    Yeah, see, that's exactly my issue. My -experience- is that if the offer price is unrealistic, then move on, no point. Classifieds come in two varieties: reasonable ones that don't stay posted for long, and unreasonable ones that have been "bumping" for months...

I have to balance that against the -hope- that folks can get reasonable and it's worth making an offer.

Truth is, I probably lean to your POV: If they're not realistic up-front, let 'em keep "bumping" ...
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

I've purchased almost every firearm I own via the classifieds here.

I've flat out said "I'll take it" and paid the asking price without hesitation.

I've made offers that were in direct conflict with what the seller had stated such as "Price is firm" (and offering less), or "No shipping" (and getting it shipped) and successfully completed the purchase.

I've offered MORE than the asking price at times when I felt it only fair to offset shipping or some other factor like wanting to ensure that it didn't get sold to someone else.

There are no set rules on any of it - only guidelines. Some get a bug up their ass about anyone straying from their own idea of what is acceptable. Screw them.

Heh. I had one of those absentee sellers once where I sent a PM asking if something was still available. It had been posted two months prior and I ran across it by chance. It was priced REALLY good and I figured it had surely sold and the seller just never closed the ad, but I asked just in case.
    About 4 days go by with no reply, so I tried again. Nothing. Oh well.
    Two weeks later I got a PM - "It's still for sale". Perfect! It all worked out in the end.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast