Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: 45-70 vs ? for 0-150 yds for all around use.

So which of these monstrous calibers are able to be uber effective with shelf bought stuff? (ie: reputable hunting ammo maker offline.) As I said, no time nor interest in reloading. Just some good R&R hunts when able are projected. But I like to go with the most capable gear. Ya know, the old saying, pay once cry once.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ammo View Post
    So which of these monstrous calibers are able to be uber effective with shelf bought stuff? (ie: reputable hunting ammo maker offline.) As I said, no time nor interest in reloading. Just some good R&R hunts when able are projected. But I like to go with the most capable gear. Ya know, the old saying, pay once cry once.
    None of these calibers will be uber effective on their own. And Walmart carries many of the calibers. So do many gun stores in your area.

Making "off the shelf" purchases shouldn't be an issue, whatever caliber and platform you decide is right for you.

If you're not already familiar with the mechanics of taking your rifle off "SAFE" before you press the trigger, sight picture, trigger pressure, follow-through, distance and lead estimation, wind assessment, shot placement, the effect of temperature and altitude) on your ballistic curve, etc., all of those and more figure substantially into the equation on just how "effective" YOU will be.

Approximately 99.99% of the "misses" have to do with the fella behind the rifle....
    - bamboomaster

(Westmoreland County)

I said first hunting rifle. Your talking to a guy who's shoulder fired M82-A1's for kicks and giggles.....definitely not recoil sensitive. Big booms build character!

The bigger animals ya gotta travel for, looking to get to Alaska and a few other states eventually, also Canada might be worthwhile so I've heard.
    The .375 H&H is a great all around cartridge if you're talking about an all around rifle world wide. Suitable for large and dangerous game and with hand loads can be loaded down to mimic the .375 Winchester making it a great and reasonable PA deer and black bear weapon. The flight path is virtually identical to the .30-06.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

OK....I thought I'd had articulated my request clearly.

In short, I'm unfamiliar with popular hunting ammo performance for taking large game on our continent. I'm trying to nail a one gun for most, hunting. I'm not going to be reloading for the previously stated reasons.

What are the most effective calibers for taking the above game at the range I stated 0-150, or even beyond? As well as will provide the best probability of a quick stop should the animal charge at a close range? Considering that stopping a two legged target with a shot or two sometimes doesn't always work as planned up close and personal, something quite larger without the psychological capacity to say "I'm hit and bleeding out!" and continues running with a vengeance at you must be put down ASAP. Call me a realist.

Seeing as I am not going to be reloading, and from some comments above, it seems that Walmart probably wont be the source for the type of stuff I'm looking for; I mean they barely keep any decent regular caliber ammo, even so, when they do their bullet weights are way to light or average for those respective calibers. So "off the shelf" is a bit tongue in cheek, meaning what I said above, (ie: reputable hunting ammo maker online) High end producers of serious ammo that's ready to go get the job done.

Uber effective, means all the metrics have been factored in when produced and will perform within the spectrum which it is intended. How you interpreted that I somehow expect some heat seeking bullet is beyond me.

I wish people would slow down and absorb what is written in its entirety as well as the rest of the thread prior to responding. It'd save much "right information wrong interpretation" from just grabbing a nugget here and there.

If you want to really chatting about enjoy long range ballistics, projectile dynamics for tactical shooting, that's a whole other subject. Unfortunate I don't have time to banter back and forth about long distance horizontal shots, extreme distances and gravitational effects. I never get people who so easily assume, and want to jump in as "instructor" for something that had nothing to do with the question being asked. You may wish to read my prior posts to give you a bit of guidance, possibly you will notice something that doesn't say "novice at the helm" per say; maybe in your MO the word "Barrett" isn't or never was used, but its something I'm intimately familiar with. Don't assume. No more monkey business OK? I'd hate for us to get into some elongated cyber battle and keyboard anger, that might result in the words "Baboonmaster", or "small caliber ammo" kinda stuff being thrown out. Think of the children!

Back to my normal boards for Q & A...... Thanks to all those who were actually helpful.

(Delaware County)

Are you related to Free?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Never perused the genealogy database.....dunno.

(Delaware County)

Never perused the genealogy database.....dunno.
    I think maybe you guys are long lost cousins.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Wayne County)

Ok 1 rifle for everything including grizz, )30-06. Don't ask again.

(Berks County)

If you just want 45-70, go for it.

If you want the best generic hunting round, I would say 308 Winchester. It's the "updated" 30-06. You're not going to miss that extra 1/2" of case capacity with modern powders.

If you're really wanting a lever gun though, as mentioned previously, 30-30 or 35 rem will be much easier & cheaper to shoot than 45-70.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast