Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default .45 GAP vs .40 S&W?

I recently started reading some things about the .45 GAP and was quite impressed. I know that it can push a 200 grain bullet at exactly the same specs at the .45 ACP, but once you put 230 grain bullets in it, the performance drops, which is fine. My big question though is does anybody know what the recoil, etc is compared to the .40 S&W? I haven't shot much .40, so I never paid that much attention to the recoil since I'm not recoil sensitive at all. A very close friend of mine who is a smaller young lady would like to buy a pistol and wants me to recommend something to her. I would really like to stay away from the 9mm, and so naturally I considered the .40 S&W. Some things I've read have told me that the .40 has about the same recoil as the .45 ACP, because it pushes a smaller bullet faster as opposed to the .45 ACP pushing a larger bullet slower. I understand the physics of it, but still find that statement a little hard to believe. In the review of the .45 GAP in Best of Shotting Times, they said the .45 GAP recoil felt like a .40 S&W. When I read that, I naturally thought that I would consider recommending this caliber to my friend since it would be a larger projectile, very accurate, with the same recoil as the .40 S&W. Any input from other women would be nice, or others who have experience with both rounds.

(Luzerne County)

Shot both still perfer .40 S&W to save my tail.

I guess nobody has any more detailed evaluations of these two calibers? I still didn't really get that much from either post.

(Bucks County)

Well, I don't know if this will help either, but I'll offer my opinion as well. Both the 45gap and the 40s&w are very effective choices. However, I'm not really a fan of the 40. My reason for this is the general shape of the round.(flat nosed) There have been feeding issues in some handguns due to this shape. I personally have a Colt Defender in 40s&w which had these problems. I had to spend a few bucks on the feed ramp to get the rounds to chamber properly, even then, I'm not overly impressed. The 40 is also very snappy while firing, which is fun of course, but might not be what you're looking for. I'm sorry I have no experience with the 45gap to offer. Best of luck in your choice.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

Your post definately helped me out and I appreciate your input. I figured that both would be pretty effective rounds, and I know there's only 15 grains of difference between the heaviest bullets you should fire for each of them. I believe that she'll be loaded up with JHP's, so they will be flat nose rounds for either caliber, but I will definately keep that in mind in the .40 S&W. I know on my XD the feed ramp angle isn't too extreme, I'm recommending the XD's, just trying to decide on the caliber. Since she has kind of weaker wrists, I'm not sure that the .40's snappiness would be so good for her, then again I don't know that the .45 GAP is much better. I definately appreciate your input, and thank you

(Chester County)

shoot 45ACP. Much more ammo to choose from and a great auto round.

Wow, I really feel like nobody is quite tackling or reading what I said in my post. Thank you for the advice, and I already shoot .45 ACP, this is for a young lady who probably doesn't want to shoot .45 ACP. Any other input on this would be much appreciated.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088
    Wow, I really feel like nobody is quite tackling or reading what I said in my post. Thank you for the advice, and I already shoot .45 ACP, this is for a young lady who probably doesn't want to shoot .45 ACP. Any other input on this would be much appreciated.
    I guess I'm curious why you want to stay away from the 9mm? There's a lot of real nice compact 9's out there to choose from, and with the improvement in ammunition over the years, they're really nothing to sneeze at. If you're decidedly against it however, the best advice I could offer would be to take her to the range. Try out some rentals. Look around the range and see what others are shooting, then maybe borrow for a few rounds... Let her shoot your 45, if she doesn't like it, the chances are she won't much care for the 40 either. Let us know how you make out.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

Thank you very much for the reply starblazer, and for jumping more on the issue, you've been one of the most helpful to me on this issue. I know that in the event that one has to draw and fire their firearm to save their life, shot placement is crucial, over caliber or anything else; but if she was comfortable with at least a larger caliber like .40, I feel that in unoptimal shot placement, it offers better performance, even if only slightly better in the .40 S&W. I do realize that if she isn't comfortable and cannot hit with a larger caliber though, that is the end all be all, and she should be firing a 9mm. I'm not necessarily looking for the smallest compact pistol, at least a 4" barrel, for the benefits of a slightly longer sight radius, and not as much recoil in case of a follow up shot. Also, I know that the .40 and .45 gap both fit in the same sized pistol as a 9mm, is that not correct?

Since she is totally a new "virgin shooter", I plan on starting her with a .22 rimfire while learning to shoot, and then moving up to 9mm, .40 etc. I do not want her to be afraid of recoil, and so I will definately work her through them and see what she prefers. I would never recommend something to her, if her life might depend on it, that I would not place my own life on. I personally would not feel as comfortable with a 9mm, although that could be my own insecurity. Ultimately it will be her decision, and if she is comfortable with that choice, then I understand, but I also wanted to look at some other options. I won't have to rent pistols at the range, so I'll probably bring lots of different calibers with me, so that she can shoot them all in similar pistols. I've heard that the .40 S&W isn't very much different recoil wise from a .45. It's been so long since I've shot a .40 that I honestly don't know, and I need to just take a couple of friend's out and give them a whirl.

Thank you again for your help starblazer, and as I stated, I'm not totally closed off to the idea of a 9mm, just slightly less uneasy about it.

(Philadelphia County)

I never shoot the 45gap,but I think it is a solution looking for a problem.230gr jhp ammo work very well(230gr GS jhp 18.60/.74)Now I personaly like the 40cal and find the recoil only slighter then a 9mm.Also the 40cal is a great balance of vel/pen/exp.It fits in a 9mm size weapon with hi capacity and almost mirrors 45acp ballistics(180gr GS jhp 16.80/.69)I carry a G22 most of the time now and swicth up with my Sig P220.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast