Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Beretta 92 inox frame badly scratched. Its aluminum, can I repair it? (pictures)

I bought a used 92 inox and the frame looks like the previous owner tried to buff it with steel wool or sand paper. From a short distance it's hardly noticeable but up close it's pretty bad. Not deep but it is everywhere. Does anyone have a solution? If coating is the only solution Ill probably just live with it. I've actually had it for a while but looking for something to pass a winter afternoon. B

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Centre County)

Default Re: Beretta 92 inox frame badly scratched. Its aluminum, can I repair it? (pictures)

You might try some Scotch Brite pads and a light touch. It will take some time but go at it slow and I think you can get it much better looking. Yes, definitely a winter weekend project. Steel wool or other metallic pads would do more damage.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Beretta 92 inox frame badly scratched. Its aluminum, can I repair it? (pictures)

Go to the auto parts store or section and get some polishing compound, with a bit of patience, it will work wonders. Scotch Brite may be a bit too much.

OR

strip it down and get it sand blasted to an even matte finish.

(Chester County)

If you really want to fix it, get the aluminum receiver re-anodized.

(Montgomery County)

Maybe Fitz polish?

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    If you really want to fix it, get the aluminum receiver re-anodized.
    ^^^This.

The frame is anodized aluminum alloy. The silver appearance is the colored film of anodizing (aluminum oxide) applied by electrolysis in a chemical bath, then "dyed" or colorized to get the silver metallic look. The anodizing film itself is damaged and is only around 0.002" to 0.003" thick, so any polishing will thin the anodic film and will make the polished areas higher in gloss.

You might try Flitz as Don suggests, but be prepared to live with more of a "shine" to the polished areas of the frame, and the scratches will still likely be visible.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Delaware County)

Bead blast and anodize.

(Warren County)

Latex house paint and a roller? Sherwin williams is running a special on flamingo pink.

Just kidding.

The paint on sale is on Whore Lipstick Red.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Monroe County)

40 grit steelwool.

j/k not starting that argument again.

Fritz and the lightest touch on the smoothest grit Scotch Brite but you can't get the motted appearance back exactly as before. That's the drawback with that finish.
    As others suggested- Bead blast and anodize. Or get it coated.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Just live with it. Guns are going to get dings and scratches if they're getting used. Personally I would call it "honorable usage wear" . I dropped my ruger SBH huner once while hunting and dinged the front sight and scope rings. I just chalked it up to hunting activities, and lived with it.
    Hunting Dog breeds at shows with scars from working don't get demerits, and daily carry guns in my general opinion with scratches and worn bluing show they were trusted enough to defend the previous owners life from day to day. You might just make it look worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast