Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Denied CCW Renewal in Philly... wtf do I do now?

So this is my third renewal, first time in Philadelphia. I have one juvenile offense that was a misdemeanor non-violent crime. It was supposed to have been expunged. I was 16 at the time, I'm 31 now. I filled out my application per usual, nothing I did was even remotely related to crimes in 6105.

Philly then interviewed me and asked me the same questions as the permit application form. I answered the questions the same. They then took 51 days without processing my application, i came back in, they said it wasn't done and were doing it then. 10 minutes later they denied my application under character judgement becasue I lied, not on the application but during the interview. However I didn't lie. PICS Approved me. They had some weird looking background check stack that even had teenage traffic tickets in it that looked nothing like PICS.

I was approved two times prior in bucks. I have no idea what to do now. I'm a lawshield member and they're claiming to be working on it, but I don't know how much time a prepaid legal service is going to devote to a non-emergency issue like this.

Default Re: Denied CCW Renewal in Philly... wtf do I do now?

Move back to bucks!

(Montgomery County)

Haha that's my eventual goal. But I have to get more equity in my home before I can afford to leave it. This incident was the tipping point for me. The city has great restaurants, Shit to do, walkability and I work in it so I was nice being close to work. But this situation is the tipping point for me when dealing with Philadelphia politics. I'm so over living here.

(Mifflin County)

What do you do now? (Other than regret foolishly moving INTO Filthadelphia) In a word, LAWYER.

(Columbia County)

You need to find out what it was that you allegedly lied about.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    You need to find out what it was that you allegedly lied about.
    It was about being arrested. I answered no to the question on the application about being arrested for a crime enumerated in 6505. I answered no becasue I never have been. During the interview they put me through, they were asking the same questions on the application (along with some ridiculous ones about tattoos and my relationship with my wife). When she asked me if I'd had been arrested I answered no. It was never explained to me that the question pertained to ever in my life, I thought it was a second check of the application. This interview thing is entirely new to me. They pulled up and printed out a misdemeanor theft charge I had in my teenage years that I was adjudicated for and that was expunged. They then accused me of lying in the interview and denied me on the grounds of bad character.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by NonLinearEdits View Post
    It was about being arrested. I answered no to the question on the application about being arrested for a crime enumerated in 6505. I answered no becasue I never have been. During the interview they put me through, they were asking the same questions on the application (along with some ridiculous ones about tattoos and my relationship with my wife). When she asked me if I'd had been arrested I answered no. It was never explained to me that the question pertained to ever in my life, I thought it was a second check of the application. This interview thing is entirely new to me. They pulled up and printed out a misdemeanor theft charge I had in my teenage years that I was adjudicated for and that was expunged. They then accused me of lying in the interview and denied me on the grounds of bad character.
    If a record was expunged, how do they have a copy of it, and then use it against you?

Apparently expungement doesn't not mean what we think it to mean.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If a record was expunged, how do they have a copy of it, and then use it against you?

Apparently expungement doesn't not mean what we think it to mean.
    It didn't even look like a PICS document, it looked like something from JNET. The offense was trivial and doesn't appear on the 6505 list so I couldn't be denied it based on that alone. Luckily I kept the paperwork from that stupid ordeal so I'm rummaging through it looking for the expungement documents. I can't wait to move out of here.

Years prior when I was applying for careers i paid for a PSP background check to confirm the offense was expunged and sure enough it was not there. So I have no idea where they're pulling this from unless they're pulling up court documents and judicial records.

You need to appeal, and not just Philly's ltcf kangaroo appeal board/court. Philly denies for anything and everything. You need to talk with a firearms lawyer and file an appeal with the court of common pleas. You have only 30 days. Don't dork around.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by NonLinearEdits View Post
    It didn't even look like a PICS document, it looked like something from JNET. The offense was trivial and doesn't appear on the 6505 list so I couldn't be denied it based on that alone. Luckily I kept the paperwork from that stupid ordeal so I'm rummaging through it looking for the expungement documents. I can't wait to move out of here.
    The problem is, expunged should mean those records are no longer available. It would seem that the records either aren't expunged, or Philly is doing something shady. I know, shocker, right?

I'd say you have a good chance of suing them if they used an expunged record against you.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast