Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Discussion VS Information

Every so often we get a thread like this

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...ally-site.html

I was away for a week, I came home to see this and was and still am interested in what is happening. Thing is I can't sort through all the discussion in the thread to find out what is going on exactly.

Possibly in the interest of informing readers, threads like this could be divided into one thread for information and another thread for discussion. In this manner people are able to remain informed on issues even if they do not wish to participate in the discussion.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Discussion VS Information

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    Every so often we get a thread like this

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...ally-site.html

I was away for a week, I came home to see this and was and still am interested in what is happening. Thing is I can't sort through all the discussion in the thread to find out what is going on exactly.

Possibly in the interest of informing readers, threads like this could be divided into one thread for information and another thread for discussion. In this manner people are able to remain informed on issues even if they do not wish to participate in the discussion.
    Very good idea, if you could keep folks from going off track, which seems impossible here. The only way it might work is if the info portion of the subject was locked for approval before posting.

Bill

(Butler County)

I copied this from Mtn Jack thread.

You guys should be ashamed. I was referred from another site, read all 41 pages of this thread only to find perhaps 10 posts in the whole thing that actually have any meaningful information. What a great disservice to MtnJack that more people are probably turned off by having to sift through so much bullcrap spouted off by everyone on their own damn high horse.

ARe there no moderators here? Do you guys make any effort at all to clean things up & keep threads on topic? Police trolls?

1iarrowking, Mondain... an e-slap on both your houses.

Pathetic. I want my 1/2 hr back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Oreo : 41 Minutes Ago at 03:57 AM.

If there was a way of separting the threads, but still linked somehow, I think that would be great. I also get tired of waded through the controversy to keep abreast of what is really going on.

(Westmoreland County)

This suggestion screams...BLOG!! If we had an official PAFOA Blog, important news and features could be posted by the official PAFOA Bloggers only and then comments could be left by anyone under the said informative post. Then the important info wouldn't get lost in the comments. Just my $.01 after taxes.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Luzerne County)

This has been done in the past. (gnbrotz revocation, among others)

We will compile the info into a info thread as soon as someone has time.
    If someone wants to do this feel free.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Philadelphia County)

If you post a story in a discussion forum, it will get discussed. If this is undesirable then there should be a separate, locked thread or some other distinct place where only a select few can post.

There are 10K+ people registered here. In the case of the MTN Jack incident, there are something like 5 of us who can actually post primary information about the story. If the thread is designed to act as a reference (and such a thing would be great to have) then it ought not to be an open thread in a discussion forum where 99.95% of us cannot contribute to that purpose. It might be unpleasant to read the present thread to find out what's going on with a story, but even with the arguing gone there would be pages of posts expressing outrage, congratulating Jack, and asking questions that can't be immediately answered. They aren't useful for someone coming in a week later and looking for the straight facts.

Rocketfoot's blog idea is excellent. I understand this would take work to set up, but having locked "news" threads would also be useful.

(Westmoreland County)

What if a mod was designated in charge of such things say for a single forum? Information could be sent directly to them and posted in a locked thread. Either in the news forum, or the forum that it pertains to. In this way Mods would not have to sift through and pick out actual information, only post it.

It is understood that things will be discussed, that is the primary reason for having a DISCUSSION forum, can't really blame anyone for that. However, one of the primary goals of PAFOA is to inform people of things such as discussed in the MTN Jack thread. It seems that having just information available would be very effective in achieving that goal.

This would be the reason I rarely read any thread that is longer than 2 pages. Once it gets past page 2 it's way off course. Heck I still don't know the outcome from PA Patriots ordeal (if it is over??) because I'm not going to read 30 pages of wasted bandwidth. Perhaps, just a thought... when something "big" like the PA Patriot/MTN Jack situation arises the author/mod/admin could put the outcome in the first post. My .02
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein