Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default What do I need to reload 44 mag?? Total relaoading newbie here.

I was wondering what the most basic of supplies I need to reload 44 mag would be. I'm talking even if Id be moving at a snails pace. I need something gun related to keep me busy on the upcoming cold weekends where outdoor range trips will be sparse. I already have casings but that's as far as I've gotten. I'm sure similar threads have been started but my phone and the search function don't get along. Thanks in advance, Brian
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Centre County)

Default Re: What do I need to reload 44 mag?? Total relaoading newbie here.

First get one or more reloading manuals. "The ABC's of Reloading" is a good one that explains the who, what, where, when, how's of reloading. then you can go to a bullet manufacturer manual. Hornady, Speer, Barnes, Sierra, all are good ones. You can also download reloading data from the net.

For equipment, look at getting a basic reloading setup kit, it will have all the parts needed to get started. Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, etc. all make a starter kit, just shop around for the best price. Read the manuals for what powder and primers to get, they can vary depending on the bullet, bullet weight, and how fast you want it to go.

This will get you started. Then if you find you really like loading your own, you'll start to gather more specialized equipment to make things easier/more accurate.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

Depends on what you have now! A set of .44 Spec./.44 Magnum dies (most die manufacturers make one die for both) CARBIDE! Of course depending on your press you need the appropriate shell holders, then just the cases, large pistol (standard or magnum as dictated by your references) primers, the powder of your choice (or what's available) and the bullets of your choice. If you've been reloading everything else wrt equipment should be on hand.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clarion County)

This is as basic as you can probably get: http://www.titanreloading.com/presse...um-lee-loader-
    Need to supply your own hammer, rubber mallet suggested, powder, cases and primers.
    You won't be loading full house mag loads but can make some respectable plinking ammo.
    Painfully slow, remember doing about a box an evening. But upside is you'll appreciate any press you upgrade to.
    Good info at the top of the main page: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=40420

Edit: utilization of the classic hand loader will probably require some lubrication of the cases. Remembering the 38/357 did a few decades ago.
    Last edited by cephas; January 2nd, 2017 at 07:36 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

You you want to load just jacketed, cast or both?

(Lancaster County)

^Im starting from ground level. All I literally have are casings and mallets. I think I'm going to get the Lee Loader mentioned above and see where it goes from there.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Tioga County)

If you do not have room for a press, I started with a Lee Hand Press for $30, which is like a Thighmaster thing you hold in your hands and will accept all reloading dies, and a $20 Lee Perfect Powder measure plus my dies, calipers for measuring, a $20 Hornady digital scale and a few other things like reloading manuals. That got me going reloading 9mm. The Lee Pistol dies are easy to deal with, easy to adjust and have good instructions for newbies.

Once I got going and got a bench then I got a proper bench mounted single stage press and a better powder measure.

My recommendation is to read the intro how to sections in reloading manuals and watch some Youtube videos which will give you some idea how things will look.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    ^Im starting from ground level. All I literally have are casings and mallets. I think I'm going to get the Lee Loader mentioned above and see where it goes from there.
    You can do the Lee Loader but it's very slow and if you don't want a bench, get the hand press and dies. The Lee Loader was really designed for people shooting bolt rifles back in the day that were shooting a few shots here and there.

(Chester County)

Glad you're bringing in 2017 with a bang...

Sorry the phone isn't working with the search function, for as you know, there are numerous forum threads on PAFOA (in the reloading section) about "pet" loads, tips, and tricks for nearly every caliber imaginable. The .44 Rem Mag is included in there. If you have a laptop, just type on the search bar "Reloading .44 Mag" or some variant, and you'll have a plethora of great advice from long-experienced reloaders that want to make sure you do this safely, find the load that works in your firearm, and have fun!

BTW, I may have missed it, but I don't recall you mentioning the firearm that's gonna be pushing these .44's. You can load rounds that you can shoot all day long with little or no recoil and you can also reload rounds that hit like THE HAMMER OF THOR. Some are good for plinking, some are good for hunting, etc. I think you may need both!

The first thing I would get is Lyman's 49th reloading manual (but they may the 50th out by now) which will serve as a bible of sorts, for there are minimum and maximum loads for nearly every powder and every bullet in your caliber, and they're there for a reason. Don't purchase ANY powder until you've consulted YOUR reloading manual - or read some of the other remarks on PAFOA about reloading .44 Rem Mag.

The second thing I would get is a bullet puller because you're gonna need one just getting the seating depth correct on your "set-up" rounds (that you use to set-up the press), sans primer and powder. Pulling bullets is not a big deal - takes 10 seconds or less and you'll be able to re-use all of the components.

The third thing I would get is a digital caliper which you'll use to confirm the OAL (overall length) of the "set-up" rounds.

Everyone here has their preferences about reloading presses, and they all work. Carbide dies work great too. Three-die sets for the most part work better (for me) than two-die sets, but it may not matter to you at this stage.

Just get started! It's not gonna cost anywhere near a small fortune to set-up your reloading room (just don't put it in the kitchen) - for there are plenty of used pieces of equipment and single stage presses out there. They still work great 80 years later....

We've got your back covered on this. And the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked so fire away, for we all started pretty much on the same path you're now navigating...

Please keep us updated on the process, for despite the cold weather, this is a really good time to start your reloading treck...
    Last edited by bamboomaster; January 2nd, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Warren County)

Cephas showed you the cheapest way into the hobby...

If you wanna plan for a reasonable level of future reloading, buy a used single stage press. LEE, RCBS, Hornady... they all take each other's dies.

44 MAG/ SPL...straight wall pistol cartridge is a great way to start.

Buy a manual or 2 or 3. Lyman, hornady are good names.
    Ebay's OK for older books - the ink ain't gonna fade away, and the info's not gonna become wrong.

You can start with Lee powder scoops, then buy a balance beam powder measure later. They're plenty accurate, especially for pistol loading.

Pistol accuracy is more a function of hand and arm and eye precision than load/ gun precision.

Cheap dial calipers from harbor freight to get you started for length and diameter measurements.
    Stay away from that cheap digital crap. Cheap analog is better than cheap digital.

Get a kinetic bullet puller. Mistakes are how you learn.
    RCBS will replace this for shipping cost when you finally break it.
    http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/685...let-puller-kit

I don't own any carbide dies, but I sure have loaded a lotta bullets.
    Non-carbide dies demand case lube. I've used RCBS and a lube pad for a long time.

Powder - read the manuals to select a powder.
    Primers - for handguns loads, any large pistol primer will do.
    Bullets - again, Read the manuals.

Do we have any lancaster area reloaders wanna pop this guy's cherry?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast