Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default not really sure what happened

so im 18 and went to buy my first gun the other day, a remington 870 xcs marine mag, not that it matters. i went in and they got it from the back, had it just behind the counter and called to do the backround check. the guy hung up the phone and told me i had been put on "research." im not sure what that really means, and i dont think the guy there did either. this was about 3 weeks ago, he said it would take 15 to 30 days for results to come back, but obviously im getting a little impatient since id been saving for this for the previous 8 months. im wondering if anyone can explain to me whats going on, since i wasint denied, but i dont have my gun yet either. i probably have a record of simple assault (m3 misdemeanor) and harrassment (summary offense), both from a fight i got into (which is a whole other fiasco, since he started it, and i have the police report stating that. as a side note it was supposed to be expunged twice now, one when i got off probation by judges order, and again when i turned 18) but in any case they shouldent deny my gun ownership anyway, should they? and finally is there anything i can do now? like call the gunshop again? or are they out of the loop?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: not really sure what happened

Quote Originally Posted by eells View Post
    so im 18 and went to buy my first gun the other day, a remington 870 xcs marine mag, not that it matters. i went in and they got it from the back, had it just behind the counter and called to do the backround check. the guy hung up the phone and told me i had been put on "research." im not sure what that really means, and i dont think the guy there did either. this was about 3 weeks ago, he said it would take 15 to 30 days for results to come back, but obviously im getting a little impatient since id been saving for this for the previous 8 months. im wondering if anyone can explain to me whats going on, since i wasint denied, but i dont have my gun yet either. i probably have a record of simple assault (m3 misdemeanor) and harrassment (summary offense), both from a fight i got into (which is a whole other fiasco, since he started it, and i have the police report stating that. as a side note it was supposed to be expunged twice now, one when i got off probation by judges order, and again when i turned 18) but in any case they shouldent deny my gun ownership anyway, should they? and finally is there anything i can do now? like call the gunshop again? or are they out of the loop?

research sucks...it means they have record of something with your name and their computer system is incomplete so they have to look into it...I got put in due to a dui that I had two years ago that was supposed to be expunged...but you may get denied because your case was an assult arrest...best thing to do is mail copies of the court order signed by the judge to the PSP firearms div. I did that and as soon as they got it i got approved....

(Bucks County)

ok, so i waited, and the results came back undeterminable. what the f does that even mean? the dude at the store said they couldent find any reason to deny me, but didnt have any reason to approve me either. well if they dont have any reason to deny me doesnt that mean that im approved? seriously peeved (although thats not really the word for it)

(Pike County)

eells, IANAL, but I believe that you need to send in a challage form ASAP. Hopefully, one of the big dogs (animals) on the site with the laws will chime in on this.
    Run a search on this site for pics challage and I believe that you will find a lot of good info. Sorry that this has been a negative experiance for you, and good luck.

(Blair County)

Go back to the dealer as soon as possible and get a challenge form. You can download one just in case he doesn’t have one. Fill it out as soon as possible and have him fill out his part. YOU mail it to PSP. There is no estimate of time to clear, but the challenge means they have to return either a denial or a pass.

Steve

Kids with guns makes me nervous. But in your case eells I'll make an exception. It seems you've thought this out, have taken the right steps and most importantly, have noticed BS in the system. Not denied....sure does sound like approved to me, just wtf DOES not denied mean!? Do as the wiser heads say and get the challenge form right away. And welcome to the forum, keep coming back if you want to learn more about firearm ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Kids with guns makes me nervous. But in your case eells I'll make an exception. It seems you've thought this out, have taken the right steps and most importantly, have noticed BS in the system. Not denied....sure does sound like approved to me, just wtf DOES not denied mean!? Do as the wiser heads say and get the challenge form right away. And welcome to the forum, keep coming back if you want to learn more about firearm ownership.

Kids with guns? 18 is the law, no need to talk down to him because of something he can't control. You were 18 once. I took my brother in law to a gun shop to buy a rifle right after he turned 18. Just a Mosin Nagant M44, but still...he's more mature than most of the people I went to college with who are now in their mid 20s.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    but still...he's more mature than most of the people I went to college with who are now in their mid 20s.
    Exactly, I think that was ErSwnn's point:-) Being in my low 20's I can assure you that WE KIDS are pretty darn scary at times... I'd hate to see some of my old roomates with guns...

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    Kids with guns? 18 is the law, no need to talk down to him because of something he can't control. You were 18 once. I took my brother in law to a gun shop to buy a rifle right after he turned 18. Just a Mosin Nagant M44, but still...he's more mature than most of the people I went to college with who are now in their mid 20s.
    Ok...I can see where it may seem I was "talking down" to him. My apologies eells if you too took it that way. Yes, the law is 18 but the reality is some 18 yo's aren't very mature, thus my nervousness about them with guns. Truly, there are kids way more mature than some 50yo's. jt, you'll notice...I hope...that I did compliment him on how he was going about this AND that in his case I made an exception on my concerns based on what I perceive as his levelheadedness. Now, can we get off this BS and answer his concerns?

(Pike County)

While legislation is what it is, numerical age is not a showing of maturity. As for me, when I was 13 I was much more mature that most 40 year olds I know.
    I will give eells the benefit of the doubt until shown otherwise.
    He comes with questions, let's try to help him out.
    Once again, the whole hang together or hang seperately!
    Last edited by gf45acp; September 4th, 2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: hanging

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast