Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Looking for some basic gun cleaning tools that are a step up from hoppes kit.

I'm thinking of picking up the following products to help me to clean the hard to get parts in the slide of my 9mm pistol. I am guessing it may not be necessary to do this, but I like taking things apart, so...heh

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Hamme...ds=armorer+kit

https://www.amazon.com/SE-7615NB10PC...ds=gun+brushes

https://www.amazon.com/SE-CS100-6-Co...ords=gun+swabs

4/5 stars from 940 people is pretty good. Since I'm just looking to do a "deep clean" of a couple of 9mm pistols and maybe my 22 over the next year or two it seems like it should be good. Anything else recommended?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Looking for some basic gun cleaning tools that are a step up from hoppes kit.

You are more courageous than I am . . . I have "armorer" tool sets and rarely use more than the biggest flat blade screwdriver bit that will fit and not strip.

For me, pipe cleaners were the most useful tool for getting into tight places without popping springs all over the place lol. Yeah, they still make them.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Looking for some basic gun cleaning tools that are a step up from hoppes kit.

I find that having the right screwdrivers that have the gun screw grind on them is one of the most important tools to have. Punches, non marring hammers and the right bore brushes are important too but there's nothing worse than seeing screw slots that have been damaged by using the wrong screw driver blades. I buy all my tools from Brownells and manufactured in the USA.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...ade%2bin%2bUSA
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Deep clean...CRC Brake Cleaner, toothbrush & pipe cleaners...I'm actually serious. I use it on my AR's, AK's and semi auto pistols. It goes no where near my Pythons though...

(Bucks County)

Decades ago there was a gun shop on a main road near us. He did fantastic bluing. Dropped in one day as we did now and then to what was new. He was in a bit of a mood. Seems a customer had a fit about his having buggered the screws on a double barreled shotgun. He was saying, "Screws! Can you imagine?? How fussy can you be??" Not long after, he moved, and seemed to disappear. He was from upstate Penna somewhere, I think in Schuylkill county. We guessed he went back.

Lately, I have been cleaning with (besides Hoppe's) Ballistol and Kano Kroil.
    Last edited by Bang; December 31st, 2016 at 11:27 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I find that having the right screwdrivers that have the gun screw grind on them is one of the most important tools to have. Punches, non marring hammers and the right bore brushes are important too but there's nothing worse than seeing screw slots that have been damaged by using the wrong screw driver blades. I buy all my tools from Brownells and manufactured in the USA.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...ade%2bin%2bUSA
    DON'T LOOK!!!

No, I did not booger them up like that. Every single screw looks that way.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Call it patina

(Berks County)

I've had screw slots messed up from the factory.

Ever notice how easy Philips head screws get messed up? Turns out they were designed that way, to limit torque. Turn them too hard and they twist up and out of the slot.

(Bucks County)

One reason Phillips are easy to mess up is a SAE driver in a Japanese screw. The Japanese screw looks like our Phillips, but it is different. Different enough that our screwdriver doesn't fit it very well.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    DON'T LOOK!!!

No, I did not booger them up like that. Every single screw looks that way.
    Ouch
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast