Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DeepInTheWoods, Pennsylvania
    (Warren County)
    Posts
    2,073
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: Concerning deceased family members guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Primginger View Post
    Can someone point me in the right direction as far as what we can do with our deceased brothers guns? My father and I would each like to have one, but we are not sure if there is a process we need to go through in order to use the gun and register as a conceal carry weapon. Thoughts?
    A. All of the above is correct.

    2. there is no registration of guns in PA

    Thirdly, the state police maintain a registry of sale database that is illegally (by them) used as a registration. Police agencies regularly run gun serial numbers through it to determine if a gun is stolen or not.

    So, people wanting to carry for protection should only carry guns that have been entered in their database, or they risk losing the gun in a roadside stop or actual usage of the gun for self defense.

    Yes, even if you have legally acquired the gun, you are de-facto guilty until proven innocent.


    d. Police and gun shop owners are dismally uninformed about the real laws.

    Finally, you have arrived at the best resource for gun rights / knowledge in the state of PA. Welcome to PAFOA!

    Correction.... POOFO.
    Last edited by markshere2; January 1st, 2017 at 09:24 PM.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    127.0.0.1, Pennsylvania
    (Lancaster County)
    Posts
    17,895
    Rep Power
    21474867

    Default Re: Concerning deceased family members guns

    Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    A. All of the above is correct.

    2. there is no registration of guns in PA

    Thirdly, the state police maintain a registry of sale database that is illegally (by them) used as a registration. Police agencies regularly run gun serial numbers through it to determine if a gun is stolen or not.

    So, people wanting to carry for protection should only carry guns that have been entered in their database, or they risk losing the gun in a roadside stop or actual usage of the gun for self defense.

    Yes, even if you have legally acquired the gun, you are de-facto guilty until proven innocent.


    d. Police and gun shop owners are dismally uninformed about the real laws.

    Finally, you have arrived at the best resource for gun rights / knowledge in the state of PA. Welcome to PAFAO!
    Ʃ. He doesn't know the forum he's on.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Lower Macungie, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Concerning deceased family members guns

    Yes, we are in Pa, Lehigh valley

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    7,626
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: Concerning deceased family members guns

    If the question, "Long guns, handguns or both?" was never answered, can accurate and complete assessment and quoting of fitting law be applied?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    26,297
    Rep Power
    21474875

    Default Re: Concerning deceased family members guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Primginger View Post
    The estate is closed, my dad was the executor and he and my mom were the beneficiaries of the will. I think it actually closed at the end of 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    If the question, "Long guns, handguns or both?" was never answered, can accurate and complete assessment and quoting of fitting law be applied?

    I can't say with 100% certainty, but I would think that the fact that dad was the executor as well as beneficiary means that they now belong to dad and dad can give him either a handgun or rifle since parent to child transfers do not require an FFL transfer.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Lower Macungie, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Concerning deceased family members guns

    My brother was a trapshooter so he's got what I would assume are long guns, possibly three or more and then he has at least three handguns.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh (Allison Park), Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    3,477
    Rep Power
    15965739

    Default Re: Concerning deceased family members guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Primginger View Post
    The estate is closed, my dad was the executor and he and my mom were the beneficiaries of the will. I think it actually closed at the end of 2015.
    Given this information I don't think this is really an estate question. However I am not an attorney so YMMV. Your brothers estate does no longer own his firearms your father does.

    Now you just have to follow the rules for a transfer. If you both live in PA your father can simply give them to you. No transfer. However as others have mentioned if you plan to carry you may want to transfer through an FFL ($20-30) so that the firearm shows up in PA sales database (illegal registry). If you live in separate states you have to transfer through a FFL.

    Also as others have said if said carry firearm is ever used you may not get it back and it will probably not come back without some sort of damage.
    Last edited by QuackXP; January 4th, 2017 at 01:20 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Lower Macungie, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Concerning deceased family members guns

    Thanks for this info, I really appreciate it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Gun transfer from deceased family member
    By jb4802 in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 27th, 2015, 11:09 PM
  2. Pistol transfer from a deceased family member.
    By Spartan15184 in forum Pistols
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 27th, 2013, 09:33 AM
  3. Deceased Father's Guns...
    By BadAssMom in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 1st, 2013, 05:52 PM
  4. selling guns of deceased family member
    By mbh66 in forum General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 11th, 2012, 03:03 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 29th, 2008, 12:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops