Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Hornady L n L AP ?'s

I currently have a single stage setup and with wanting to be able to reload bulk ammo so I am looking into a progressive setup. I want to go with the Hornady Lock n Load AP. I want to order everything I need to load 45acp at once. I know I need the press, shell plate #45 for 45acp, Hornady 3 die set with the Hornady taper crimp die for station 5. What else do I need? I know there is a power rotor for pistols, powder through expander die etc. So if someone could just throw a list out there for me so I know exactly what I need to get rolling, that would be awesome. I want to keep this as simple and least expensive as possible ie no frills but a good setup so I can churn out good rounds without issues or finding out I need this accessory or that. Thanks in advance for help/advice.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Hornady L n L AP ?'s

I have a micrometer metering insert for in mine, its nice that you can see how much your moving the knob to adjust the drop. Id like to get the pistol metering pieces yet but its not needed, Im still using the standard one with the micrometer insert, and when I first started loading I used the one that came with it for a while. all you really need is the dies and plate, everything else you "need" comes with the kit. if you were already loading with a standard press you can even use the dies you had for the other one. you dont need hornady dies, I have a set of lee's Im using for my .45 auto

the kit does come with some die bushings but id order a couple more of those, you never have enough if your loading more than one caliber, I think I have like 15 bushings and still dont have enough. but I load 9mm, .45 auto, .223 ( I have 3 sets of those ) .225 win, 30-06

Last edited by lethal93ta; September 2nd, 2008 at 05:54 PM.

(Bucks County)

Nice work area! Wish I had the room to do something like that.

(Monroe County)

Really nice set up. I wish I had a window in my reloading "dungeon". I am in the process of buying the Horndady AP and it looks like a solid competitor to the Dillion 550. Good luck with your purchase. The best price I have found so far is at Midsouth Reloading Supplies. Its like $20 cheaper than Midway or Cabela's.

(York County)

Ive also been looking at the AP and i think its what Im gonna get , also want one of those RCBS prep centers , Lethal how do you like that thing?? Seen I guy on you tube who even put a case trimmer on his somehow and trims on it too.

(Berks County)

I like my prep center, I had bought it to do my mil crimped brass with, theres a taper reamer to get rid of them, but that took a little to long, I bought a dillon super swage for that now, but I still use my prep center for deburing the brass, I have a primer pocket uniformer I use on there to.

(Butler County)

Well I pulled the trigger. Got the Lock N Load AP for $337. Purchased the pistol rotor and micrometer as well. I just decided to get everything at once and be done with it. Now I just have to wait for things to come. I bought the press from Natchez and the rest from Midway. Some of it was on backorder which I think was just the pistol rotor and micrometer.