Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Neat little Gat

(Susquehanna County)

Default Neat little Gat

Weather wasn't bad today so I finally got to the outdoor range to start letting my new handgun break me in. This time it's a little Browning 1911-380. Now the trial wasn't extensive, just 50 rounds to get things started. As the name says it is, .380 ACP caliber and as the advertisements say it is 85% the size of an M1911. Polymer frame metal slide. Fit and finish is nice, the sights are fairly large and easy to use. Function was flawless (bear in mind only 50 rds) and surprising me was a fairly nice trigger, no creep, with a crisp let off that seemed on a par with my Jim Clark built 1991 and a positive reset.

I can't claim it to be a world-beater in accuracy, for whatever reason all my shots seemed to run left, but at 25 yards I managed to keep all of them on a standard 25 yard slow fire target. Not the scoring area the whole target sheet! But, I don't blame the gun on that. For whatever reason all my shots from a new Glock 17 ran left also, so I think the problem is mine not either of the guns.

Things I like the most:
    Nice size! Enough grip length to get full hand support.
    Trigger
    weight, not going to tire anyone out through a day's worth of carry
    Controls and control locations identical to M1911
    Magazines drop free (unlike my Glock M42)

Things I didn't like
    Magazine capacity 8 rounds provides a flush fitting magazine which is fine, but I'd like 10 rounds
    Magazine disconnect, (hate 'em on ANY gun) but with this one the hammer cannot be lowered unless a magazine is seated.

Overall, I think this little thing and I are going to become good pals.
    Last edited by Brick; December 27th, 2016 at 07:28 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Neat little Gat

This was a very informative post, thank you very much for the info and insight.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Northumberland County)

Thanks for the review on this; I was thinking of picking one up and wasn't sure but think I just might now.

(Susquehanna County)

Finally able to get outside with this piece again and went through another 100 rounds of Fiocchi ammo.

This time I shot at the standard IDPA practice target at typical match ranges. Accuracy wasn't bad (I was able to make head shots at 15 yards) and I'm pretty sure the points down I would have scored were my fault. Messing with me a little bit is the relative size of the front and rear sight. Front sight appears MUCH smaller (narrower) than I'm used to with LOTS of room on each side.

I also experienced a few stoppages, one failure to feed, one where a cartridge popped out of the magazine during a reload and one failure to go into battery because the slide stop unshipped a bit and hung up the slide.

One odd problem developed was with the Browning supplied magazines ( the gun comes with one and I bought 2 spares, they're the only source so I'll probably get 2 more). For reasons I've yet to determine one of the mag spring coils peaked out through the window on the side of the magazine. This kept the follower from entering the magazine body, the problem was NOT self correcting and I had to disassemble the magazine, strip out spring and follower and reassemble. Fortunately the actual disassembly of the mags is very easy. If the problem reappears I'll send a nastygram to Browning about it and suggest a fix (eliminate the window).

So far I still like this piece more than my Glock 42. I like .380 ACP caliber also as it is very gentle on my hands (arthritis is starting to take its toll). I can't think of a better way to learn the foibles of a handgun than to use it in an "action pistol" type competition like IDPA and all should note I really don't give a damn that .380 ACP does meet the required power factor, I just might try it out in one of our club matches.

(Bucks County)

Find a comfortable way of carrying a second magazine, staged for quick acquisition/insertion. That's 8+8+1 = 17 rounds...and, having the weight of 8 more rounds not adding to the pistol weight is a plus.

(Susquehanna County)

My usual means is a properly sized magazine pouch carried on left side. But, I can also use a jacket pocket also on the left.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Weather wasn't bad today so I finally got to the outdoor range to start letting my new handgun break me in. This time it's a little Browning 1911-380. Now the trial wasn't extensive, just 50 rounds to get things started. As the name says it is, .380 ACP caliber and as the advertisements say it is 85% the size of an M1911. Polymer frame metal slide. Fit and finish is nice, the sights are fairly large and easy to use. Function was flawless (bear in mind only 50 rds) and surprising me was a fairly nice trigger, no creep, with a crisp let off that seemed on a par with my Jim Clark built 1991 and a positive reset.

I can't claim it to be a world-beater in accuracy, for whatever reason all my shots seemed to run left, but at 25 yards I managed to keep all of them on a standard 25 yard slow fire target. Not the scoring area the whole target sheet! But, I don't blame the gun on that. For whatever reason all my shots from a new Glock 17 ran left also, so I think the problem is mine not either of the guns.

Things I like the most:
    Nice size! Enough grip length to get full hand support.
    Trigger
    weight, not going to tire anyone out through a day's worth of carry
    Controls and control locations identical to M1911
    Magazines drop free (unlike my Glock M42)

Things I didn't like
    Magazine capacity 8 rounds provides a flush fitting magazine which is fine, but I'd like 10 rounds
    Magazine disconnect, (hate 'em on ANY gun) but with this one the hammer cannot be lowered unless a magazine is seated.

Overall, I think this little thing and I are going to become good pals.
    Dang! And for years, I thought this was a neat little "Gat":

1877 Buldog 1.jpg

Guess I gotta periodically get out of my cave at the edge of town....
    - bamboomaster

(Bucks County)

To me, a gat was a handgun in the hands of a ganksta or gun moll in Chi town or Cicero, circa 1920s or until repeal of the Hallstead Act.

(Berks County)

Just don't call 'em bee stingers and we're good. Gat, heater, rod, Rosco all good.