Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default IDPA pistol: get one in same line as my ccp?

I'm strongly considering participating in some IDPA matches next year to help improve my skills. I currently have a Springfield XD Mod 2 Subcompact. I enjoy it, but obviously it's primarily for home defense and carry. I'm considering getting a 5" gun. For a while I was looking at the Walther PPQ/Q5 Match. I also took a look at some 1911's in 9mm, though I've never shot a 1911. I know those are popular in IDPA. But The XD Mod 2 Tactical would be a really similar grip and sight picture to my sub-compact, so I'm leaning that direction right at the moment. Thoughts?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: IDPA pistol: get one in same line as my ccp?

If you like the XD, and are comfortable with it, stay with a similar gun. The manual of arms for a 1911 is different, and requires different moves than a striker fired gun. You do not have to move up to the top of the line, but might want to, to get that our of the way. Take your time, you can start with what you have.

(Mifflin County)

Thoughts? Get out and shoot a few matches with the gun you have before you go spending money on a gun, for a game you're not even sure you're gonna like.

(Delaware County)

Go for a Sig P320. That way you can use literally the same gun (trigger pack). Then switch out the frame from the full size to the sub compact size. This way you have a consistent trigger pull that you are used to and will be natural after you train with it. I have the Compact size that I carry and love it. The P320 trigger is also a great stock trigger out of the box. Only draw back would be in doing this is it's a fairly large investment to make the switch.

Shoot what you have and you will see what works. My first match I had a HK USP compact. After that match I immediately bought a Glock 17. I realized I didn't like the safety and I wanted a DAO trigger. I have a 1911. It's cool, but it's not my Glock. You really have figure out what works for you. Just something to consider, of all the guns I've seen at shoots 1911 ' s have more problems than any other type of gun. Not that they are bad, they can just be temperamental.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a glock 19 set up similar to a glock 43 for consistency and i haven't had a chance to shoot a match in over a year but I still managed to convince myself to buy a CZ P-09 for matches. I have only had a chance to put a couple hundred rounds through it and still tell myself I could use a glock 34 instead of the P09 when in reality I could sell the P09 and get enough ammo to become a lot better with my glock 43 and shoot that at matches.

IDPA was founded to be ran with what you carry, give your current set up a chance and see what happens. There's no hope for me, I'll always convince myself I need something else.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Delaware County)

I started shooting IDPA with my carry (also my only) gun about 3 years ago. Along the way I picked up a 2nd gun - same make, model, color, etc. Gun 1 gets shot weekly at matches, gun 2 (after functionally checking it) lives on my hip. Same belt, same holster, effectively same gun. It works for me.

Yeah, it's a 5" 1911, but that's not the point...

(Montgomery County)

Do you want to be a top competitor and have a better chance at winning, or do you want to participate primarily to practice defensive shooting?

I'd start with your XD subcompact, and then yes getting the full size certainly makes sense in my opinion.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Shoot what you have and you will see what works. My first match I had a HK USP compact. After that match I immediately bought a Glock 17. I realized I didn't like the safety and I wanted a DAO trigger. I have a 1911. It's cool, but it's not my Glock. You really have figure out what works for you. Just something to consider, of all the guns I've seen at shoots 1911 ' s have more problems than any other type of gun. Not that they are bad, they can just be temperamental.

A part of me loves seeing the pretty shiny 1911s choke at every match

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Just something to consider, of all the guns I've seen at shoots 1911 ' s have more problems than any other type of gun. Not that they are bad, they can just be temperamental.
    Have yet to ever go to a match without someone having a 1911 that is choking on something or having issues.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast