Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Thumbs up Encounter with Berwick Police Officer Saturday morning

Coming back from meeting with friends Friday night, I pulled a bonehead maneuver with my truck at about 1:30 Am Saturday morning thus causing the Berwick police to want to have a word with me. He pulls up behind me in the Dunkin Donuts drive thru with the lights on. I realized I was carrying my J-frame in my front pocket so I put my hands in the window to show I was no threat. He comes to the window and asks for License & Reg. I reply telling him I have a LTCF and I was doing so. He looks at me surprised that I gave him the courtesy. He asked where it was I told him asking if he wanted me to step out. He said yes come on out. I do so giving him my license & reg, He looks it over and asks how much I have had to drink. I replied, not a drop. He looks a bit longer at everything and told me to have a good night & be safe. He never asked me to give him my weapon. And handled the situation like a complete professional A+ IMHO. I wish I could remember his name.
    - Big D
    I am looking for SIG ST Series pistols. Please PM me if you have one you would like to sell.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Encounter with Berwick Police Officer Saturday morning

It's funny that we treat these encounters as if we got away with something, when the fact of the matter is, the officer did nothing special. He had no lawful reason to do any more than he did, or respond in any other manner.

I'm glad you didn't suffer any damage from the encounter, but, please, bear in mind, this is exactly how it's supposed to happen, and should decidedly not be the exception.

Gotta watch those late-night bonehead moves, though!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    It's funny that we treat these encounters as if we got away with something, when the fact of the matter is, the officer did nothing special. He had no lawful reason to do any more than he did, or respond in any other manner.

I'm glad you didn't suffer any damage from the encounter, but, please, bear in mind, this is exactly how it's supposed to happen, and should decidedly not be the exception.

Gotta watch those late-night bonehead moves, though!
    This I understand. But with all of the bad news that I read about, I thought it would be a good idea to post what went right.
    - Big D
    I am looking for SIG ST Series pistols. Please PM me if you have one you would like to sell.

I certainly prefer hearing these kinds of stories over the other. I wonder if he needed an excuse to pull into DD's for something to drink/eat...

(Monroe County)

Woohoo someone made a doughnut comment
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

I also would much rather reading boring reports of police officers doing their difficult jobs properly, rather than them acting like thugs and stomping people rights just because they got a badge.

It’s to bad the few thugs on a power trip with a badge, give the rest a bad reputation.

(Lawrence County)

ok question. do you immediatly tell the leo that you have a weapon? or do you wait for him to bring it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    ok question. do you immediatly tell the leo that you have a weapon? or do you wait for him to bring it up?
    It's personal preference. You're not required to inform the officer in Pa. It's up to you. Some say it helps and they appreciate it, others say that since you're not required to, why tell them...

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Woohoo someone made a doughnut comment

mmmmmm Forbidden Donut.
    - Big D

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    ... He looks it over and asks how much I have had to drink. I replied, not a drop.
    Sounds like a tricky way of asking if you were drinking. Otherwise sounds like a fine encounter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast