Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Eight of Nine or Five of 357 (harder to decide than you might think)

Quote Originally Posted by Fudmottin View Post
    Hawk,

I understand interior ballistics. The links you provided don't include my ammunition. I'll have to see if my old F1 Chrony is still working. I certainly agree that a longer barrel (up to a point) is very important for taking advantage of the cartridge. That's actually another issue I have. Will 135gr .357 ammo deliver more or equal punch to 124gr 9x19mm? Hornaday also has 125gr. The 135gr is Critical Duty. The 125gr is Critical Defense. Nice marketing terms, eh?

You raise an interesting point when you bring up barrel length. In a semi-auto, the barrel is measured from the muzzle to the breach face. So the chamber subtracts from the listed length. On a revolver, the barrel length is measured from the muzzle to the forcing cone. The cylinder chamber is not counted. It becomes a bit of an apples vs pears comparison.

I take your point. I really do like the trigger on the LC9s Pro. Ruger did a very good job with it. The pistol itself is a bit snappy with standard pressure 124gr FMJ loads that I use for practice. High bore axis. That said, it is controllable if you don't crank the trigger too quickly. The reset is the full pull of the trigger, just like on a J-Frame. I will say that I will take the LC9s over the Glock model 43. I was trying them both out at my local gun shop, side by side. I didn't even look at the price tag to make a decision.

I've found that for standard barrel lengths, 124gr in the 9x19mm is the "ideal" bullet weight. 115gr is faster. But it has less momentum. 147gr has the momentum, but that comes at the cost of muzzle energy. The 124gr seems to offer a good balance. 9x19 is also relatively cheap, making practice less expensive if you don't reload.
    You just have to ask yourself: does the .357 have more value out of the snub nose J frame than the 9MM out of the LC9s? I think the felt recoil alone could be the determining factor.
    Toujours prêt

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Eight of Nine or Five of 357 (harder to decide than you might think)

The 649 is more reliable. I haven't had many misfeeds at the range with the LC9s. But I have had a few. I've been told it's user error. Does that really matter?

I'm genuinely torn about which should be my everyday carry. The odds say I will probably never need either in my life time.

Which way would you go and why?
    User errors suggests that if you correct your mistake through practice misfires should be eliminated.

Why not 8 of 357?

(York County)

Given all you say, I'd get the longer 9-round magazine for the LC9s and with one in the chamber have "10 of 9". Actually, I -do- daily carry that exact configuration. Have had it a couple months now and with ~800 through it, never a malfunction.

I have not found the extra mag length to have any real impact on carry/printing. (I carry at 6:00 in a leather IWB holster in warm weather under a shirt, and at 2:00 in an alien IWB holster when I have a jacket or something to help conceal.

Extended mag also makes it nicer to grip (you can get your pinky on it).
    DGAF

(York County)

I haven't had many misfeeds at the range with the LC9s. But I have had a few. I've been told it's user error. Does that really matter?
    How is it supposed to be user error? I'm curious...
    DGAF

I feel just as adequately armed when I carry my 5-shot S&W Mod.37 loaded with .38 Spec 125gr. +P as with my 8-shot Firestar loaded with 9mm 124gr+P.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    How is it supposed to be user error? I'm curious...
    Limp wristing most likely.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Limp wristing most likely.
    Oh, right. Duh! Somehow I was thinking some more 'physical', i.e. not lubing gun, not seating magazine all the way, etc.
    DGAF

Realistically, most modern "defensive" 9mm loads are designed well enough to do the job.

Statistically, you'll need to make between two and four "good" hits before the threat is stopped, regardless of caliber. There are also more and more incidences of criminals working in groups; plan on having to shoot at least two before the threat is stopped.

Choose whichever combination of firearm and load that you can be confident will (a) cycle reliably, and (b) allow you to quickly get back on target and make good follow-up shots.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by HXD View Post
    Realistically, most modern "defensive" 9mm loads are designed well enough to do the job.

Statistically, you'll need to make between two and four "good" hits before the threat is stopped, regardless of caliber. There are also more and more incidences of criminals working in groups; plan on having to shoot at least two before the threat is stopped.

Choose whichever combination of firearm and load that you can be confident will (a) cycle reliably, and (b) allow you to quickly get back on target and make good follow-up shots.
    I'm not sure of the source for your 'statistically' (cite?) though it seems a fair 'ballpark' to me even if it's anecdotal.

Even if so, 2-4 is a wide range considering the implications: 2 each stops 2 assailants with one to spare on a 5-round gun. On the same gun 4 each leaves you one assailant likely still standing when you're empty). There are many variables involved: Skill of shooter, overall experience of shooter, military experience or not, practicing enough 'tactical' vs. 'range' to offset adrenaline rush in a real situation, etc.

Given the scenario provided to start the thread (9mm or .357, compact pistol) I'm basically sticking with "more rounds = better"... which means 9mm.
    DGAF

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast