Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Eight of Nine or Five of 357 (harder to decide than you might think)

If you have problems with shooting semi-autos I would stick to revolvers. If you figure out what you are doing wrong with the semi I would carry the one that you can shoot better. If that is equal just carry what you like better. I don't think it really matters that one is a little more powerful than the other. Both can do the job well if you put the rounds where they need to be. Both can fail to stop if certain factors are present or you miss. I also don't think the few extra rounds will matter in the vast majority of situations that may happen.

One thing to consider is if you can afford to practice with the .357 as much as the 9mm. That would have a bearing on what I choose to carry.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Eight of Nine or Five of 357 (harder to decide than you might think)

Years ago I had a model 60 .357. Defense loads were a ton of recoil and fireball. Same loads through my Vaquero were great ( love the .357 cartridge). I traded the 60 in on an airweight 637. That revolver carries like a dream and is a great shooter. I also have an LC9s. It's actually more comfortable to carry than the 637 ( I make my own holsters). It has a great trigger and is easy to get shots on target. I've never had any malfunctions on either. I usually choose the LC9s as it conceals and carries easier. I have no issues grabbing the 637 though. I don't carry a spare magazine or speedloader currently, something I'm reconsidering. Don't think you're going wrong with either choice.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    There's a coupla things about her that stick out.

Noah
    The elbows no doubt..
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The 357 doesn't really shine until you use a 4" barrel.
    Hawk,

I understand interior ballistics. The links you provided don't include my ammunition. I'll have to see if my old F1 Chrony is still working. I certainly agree that a longer barrel (up to a point) is very important for taking advantage of the cartridge. That's actually another issue I have. Will 135gr .357 ammo deliver more or equal punch to 124gr 9x19mm? Hornaday also has 125gr. The 135gr is Critical Duty. The 125gr is Critical Defense. Nice marketing terms, eh?

You raise an interesting point when you bring up barrel length. In a semi-auto, the barrel is measured from the muzzle to the breach face. So the chamber subtracts from the listed length. On a revolver, the barrel length is measured from the muzzle to the forcing cone. The cylinder chamber is not counted. It becomes a bit of an apples vs pears comparison.

I take your point. I really do like the trigger on the LC9s Pro. Ruger did a very good job with it. The pistol itself is a bit snappy with standard pressure 124gr FMJ loads that I use for practice. High bore axis. That said, it is controllable if you don't crank the trigger too quickly. The reset is the full pull of the trigger, just like on a J-Frame. I will say that I will take the LC9s over the Glock model 43. I was trying them both out at my local gun shop, side by side. I didn't even look at the price tag to make a decision.

I've found that for standard barrel lengths, 124gr in the 9x19mm is the "ideal" bullet weight. 115gr is faster. But it has less momentum. 147gr has the momentum, but that comes at the cost of muzzle energy. The 124gr seems to offer a good balance. 9x19 is also relatively cheap, making practice less expensive if you don't reload.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    One thing to consider is if you can afford to practice with the .357 as much as the 9mm. That would have a bearing on what I choose to carry.
    I can shoot 38 Spl through the 649. It handles that like a dream. My 638 has rather more recoil for obvious reasons. 38 Spl is near parity with 9x19mm in cost as far as I can tell.

I usually don't have problems with semi-autos. Either I got a bad LC9s or I am making errors that I could make in stress. I have upgraded my LC9s with TruGlo night sights and Talon grips. It does conceal well. The loaded weight is very hard to tell from the 649. The 638, with its rather less potent 38Spl +P is lighter still. Pops into the pocket nicely too. It will also fit the same IWB holster that I carry the 649 in.

You mentioned trigger pull. That is certainly a very relevant point. I chose the LC9s over the G43 because of the trigger. I was looking for a good single stack nine at the time. If I opt to go the LC9s route for my everyday carry, I still won't be carrying a spare mag. I've never done that. J-Frames have long, heavy triggers. By doing a trigger job, I've reduced the pull weight on the trigger. I have not altered the length of pull or the reset length. So both are rather different animals.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    That revolver carries like a dream and is a great shooter. I also have an LC9s. It's actually more comfortable to carry than the 637 ( I make my own holsters). Don't think you're going wrong with either choice.
    What sort of holsters do you make? The one problem I have with my J-Frame DeSantis IWB holster is that it only has one belt clip. It would be better with two. I have this holster in tan:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZSIQB0/

A second belt clip on the other side that allows me to adjust the cant would be awesome. I also have a similar holster for the LC9s:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KAKA2S/

It's only OK. I don't see much need for the reinforcement at the top. Also, it doesn't keep the pistol completely off my skin.

I would be interested in leather IWB holsters that are reasonably priced and provide good comfort as well as stability and adjustable cant for my 3:30 position. I really like leather against my skin. Kydex is cool and all, but it sucks for comfort. This would apply to both the 649 and LC9s. The 649 barrel is ¼ inch longer than the 638 barrel.

As I said, the holsters I listed are OK. Neither of them are perfect though. Experience has taught me that carry comfort is paramount. That means good weight distribution. For concealment and accessibility, the right cant is required. I like to carry just to the rear of my right side hip bone for comfort and concealment. Usually the only thing between me and the holster is skin. I also like the ability to tuck my shirt when required. DeSantis has done a good job in this respect.

I should have spare space in my inbox if you wish to PM instead of advertising your work in this thread. I'm not clear on the rules about that. I actually prefer horse hide over cow hide. I do not like squeaking though. I've had that problem with custom (or small manufacturer) holsters before.

(Allegheny County)

Fudmottin, I don't sell holsters. I'm just a guy that wasn't getting what I was looking for out of holsters I was buying. I have my own shop for wood and some metal working so I just made a kydex press and started trying to make stuff. I have made a few for myself and friends and family, that's it.

I have looked at most of the holsters on Amazon. The first one you show for the j frame to me looks so unbalanced. The clip is not centered on the gun at all, so it looks as if the gun will sag in your pants. Hence the need for the second clip. The second one that you show for the LC9s is one I almost bought just to try so that I would have a tuckable holster. I don't like that it is just a slip in fit. I have read about guys that wet and mold that holster a little more to the gun and that might help.

I've never tried a hybrid holster with two belt clips. They look like they would be secure and not move on your body, but look like too much material and difficult to take on and off.

For my holsters, I wanted something minimal. Kydex is easy to work, so I started with that. I wanted easy on, easy off, but still secure on the belt. I wanted the retention that comes from kydex and the easy draw. My first few were pretty decent, but always rotated the cant on the belt because of a little play in the belt clip. I usually make the belt clip about 1 1/4" wide by the width of the belt, about 1 5/8" for 1 1/2" belt. I decided to try some leather on the back of the holster and that helped. It was too thick though so I started using a piece of thin suede. Now my holsters are extremely thin, lightweight, comfortable, and secure. I always wear an under shirt though. I decided last spring that was how I was going to start dressing. I got used to it easily and wore shorts, an under t-shirt, and a regular t-shirt all summer. I carried in comfort, even working all day in construction. I also carry at 3:00.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

The last post has pictures of the holster I made for a friend's xds9. The one I made for my LC9s is the same. Here are some pictures of my J frame holster. This was with me 24/7 on our camping vacation this past summer. Very comfortable. It was loaded with a mix of snake shot and lead swc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

I carry a 649 more often than any other handgun I own, within its intended distances it is very accurate. It carries real nice in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster, especially wile driving. Lately this is my preferred carry along with IWB cross draw due to recent elbow surgery I can not twist/reach my right arm behind me. I am much too small framed to pocket carry a J frame. Another thing about shrouded hammer revolvers is you can have them in your hand in a coat pocket and shoot right through the coat if needed that quick...surprise!!!

A long time ago I took an NRA instructed pistol class ( this was before the plastic wondernines). an interesting quote from the instructor ( ex PA Trooper)
    he called most gunfights he witnessed, both LEO and Private Citizen by the "rule of threes"

"the overwhelming majority of encounters will happen at about three feet distance, take less than three seconds, and three or fewer rounds"

I do not feel undergunned with a five shot snubbie, although the LCP sometimes comes along in the pocket as a New York reload

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    There's a coupla things about her that stick out.

Noah
    If you are building a robot you might as well do it right.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast