Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Cool My Little Maggie

S&W Model 629-5 with 3" Magnaported barrel from factory.

• Hogue Coco Bolo grips
    • XS Sight Systems Big Dot Tritium Express Set
    • Wilson Combat spring kit using 13# return spring (sweetest feeling trigger!)
    • Extra length firing pin

Carries surprisingly well in Kramer horse hide pancake holster (not that I would, it's still 40oz!) not shown.

IMG_6043.jpg

Ammo has gotten super expensive, even for the practice stuff.
    Last edited by Fudmottin; December 25th, 2016 at 05:01 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: My Little Maggie

Nice gun. Merry Christmas.

(Delaware County)

Thanks! Merry Christmas to you and yours also.

(Warren County)

Very nice!

You should learn to reload. It's easy and inexpensive and frees you up from the market fluctuations.
    Also, you can tune your loads to your gun/ comfort level.

I'm in the market for a small 44 mag.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Chester County)

Nice....

Once you have the brass, you can reload .44 Mags for $.18-$.45 per round, depending mostly on the pill. I think 200 gn Nosler JHP's would do the trick nicely for your full-power loads.
    - bamboomaster

(Cumberland County)

Very nice - a real flame thrower Congrats !

(Delaware County)

Thanks, all!

I've had this puppy for a while. It hasn't been fired in a while. I've got no ammo! I ordered some from Midway. That should also give me brass for reloading. I do have reloading equipment, but I fear it may have rusted in storage. I'll have to see. Both .44 Magnum and .357 Magnum are well worth reloading for, especially when short barrel recipes are called for. Faster powder is needed. I've got a bunch of 249gr LSWC. I don't plan to use them. I hate cleaning lead. They don't have gas checks. FMJ flat points I think are what I want for target/range use.

I still have the factory main spring if the Wilson Combat one doesn't light primers reliably. I used Flitz to shine it up. The camera flash made it come out looking dark rather than shiny. You know how cameras can be. I thought I would do it up as a carry gun even though I don't plan on carrying it, hence the grips and night sight. The factory rear sight did not survive changing out.

The short barrel and porting does make for quite a fireball in low light, especially if the ammo was designed for a much longer barrel.

I don't think S&W makes this exact version anymore. The product code on the box is 148719. There is a "Spec. Ord" on the box labeled as 9265. This gun doesn't have the key lock thing. Sadly, my 649 did. S&W does have a short barrel .44 Magnum:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...l-629-deluxe-0

It's a bit different from mine. Mine has a full length lug. It never had the sight insert. And of course there is the porting. The MSRP is surprisingly high. I wonder if that helps the value of my gun. It's the jewel of my collection.

(Wayne County)

Nice piece. If you run out of ammo you still have a 40oz hammer.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fudmottin View Post
    I've got a bunch of 249gr LSWC. I don't plan to use them. I hate cleaning lead. They don't have gas checks. FMJ flat points I think are what I want for target/range use
    a little more research is needed on your end. lead can easily be shot with no leading issues. gas checks are not needed except for the hottest loads.
    i have lead loads for almost all my hand guns....the 44 mag eats them at around 1100ft/sec per 240 grain swc... zero leading. a lot has to do with the hardness of the lead and powder choice.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Delaware County)

I had developed a load. It was fairly light. I didn't cast the bullets. The local gun store used to sell reloading components. The Speer manual I have provided me information for safe pressures. It did not help me avoid leading issues. So yes, I do need to research more. I've got a couple thousand of those LSWC pills. It would be a shame to toss them. They are also short on the wax lubricant.

I remember loading .44 Mag as fun because the case is so big. 9x19mm and .45 ACP throw the brass far enough that I lose it. I did develop a load that pushed 9x19mm past 1400fps. I won't publish that for obvious reasons. I was using Power Pistol powder for that. My other goto powder has generally been bullseye.

I'm not sure on the shelf life of primers. I would only load for range/target use. For defense against animals (most likely bipedal things), I would just go with factory defense loads. If I miss, maybe the fireball and concussion will cause some disorientation. Maybe even in the assailant too. OK, I know that is a myth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast