Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default NRA dumps "blended learning" classes

Here's a nice Christmas present for all of us instructors - the NRA, admitting their mistake, will do away with the online "blended learning" pistol class within the next 60 days. And not a minute too soon! What a disaster it's been.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...istol-classes/

https://www.thegunwriter.com/21851/e...ining-mistake/

(Berks County)

Default Re: NRA dumps "blended learning" classes

I just watched an episode of one of the gun programs and they talked about how great this blended thing was. To me it sounds like something that should be free just to give out information. It shouldn't be considered a replacement for actual teaching.

(Monroe County)

So screw everyone who sent in their student packets for a partial refund?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Pike County)

It is a good news. The program was a joke. I never felt threatened with it personally as an instructor, but I didn't wand the quality of NRA safety education go down the drain. Because that would affect all NRA instructors as a group, when it comes to the credibility.
    Je suis déplorable

(Monroe County)

Funny i still haven't gotten the official email yet. Though I got 12 when they rolled it out.

EDIT reread the OP next 60 so it's going to be a bit till they finally give the official oops.

Glad I didn't pitch my books.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Wayne County)

Blended learning classes are to education what engineering plans drawn in metric (in the US) were for state DOTs, a colossal waste of energy and money.

My side job uses this method of training to lure in people into thinking that they can get certified with less class time. In reality, they have to sit through long, very badly animated online trainings that don't teach what they are supposed to, only to have to sit through skills sessions for extra long, because they didn't learn what they were supposed to. Which makes me have to teach longer than I'm supposed to because I can't certify the suckers if they don't pass the skills portion.

My main job is trying to implement blended learning for our national training. Since I'm on the national training cadre, I'm fighting this like hell. Nothing replaces actually being taught by a real person who knows their job.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

A while back I was told by a trainer at the NRA office that they were going to give students the option of blended or full instructor only classes very soon. I don't know where things are at currently. I have not received any emails. Has anyone heard this or anything recently?

(Monroe County)

Nothing yet. I wish they would get moving. The Scouts have pistol fully rolled out and we have to do the full pistol basics course first with them. The internet is not really a thing at camp. It would be nice to have this settled before I stand it up in my council.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    A while back I was told by a trainer at the NRA office that they were going to give students the option of blended or full instructor only classes very soon. I don't know where things are at currently. I have not received any emails. Has anyone heard this or anything recently?
    That's exactly what I was told at the GAOS. I have not been given a time frame and really don't expect it until National Meeting - make a big effort at publicity. It's also an interesting story behind how this whole thing got legs and grew to be the disaster it is today.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Blended learning classes are to education what engineering plans drawn in metric (in the US) were for state DOTs, a colossal waste of energy and money.

My side job uses this method of training to lure in people into thinking that they can get certified with less class time. In reality, they have to sit through long, very badly animated online trainings that don't teach what they are supposed to, only to have to sit through skills sessions for extra long, because they didn't learn what they were supposed to. Which makes me have to teach longer than I'm supposed to because I can't certify the suckers if they don't pass the skills portion.

My main job is trying to implement blended learning for our national training. Since I'm on the national training cadre, I'm fighting this like hell. Nothing replaces actually being taught by a real person who knows their job.
    Online learning is fine, as a refresher or to update knowledge you have already have but where standards might have changed (say, this drug for that drug, or different dosages).

It can not take the place of classroom for new learning IMO, and every blended class I have seen has been awful. All online classes have been good, blended, not so much.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast