Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Looking for my first mid-range glass - Nightforce NXS vs Vortex PST

I'm close to finally getting everything I need to assemble an 18" SPR-ish style AR and am at the point where I need to decide on glass. Or at least shortly decide on it. For a while I have been lusting after a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 because I know they are near bombproof and proven to work and work well. But they also carry a $1400+ price tag to match. Even used they still tag for $1k+ but for good reason. Last night I was doing some internet window shopping and saw that Vortex offers a 2.5-10x44 PST. Larger objective and 1/2 the price. Now I know that it doesn't say NF on the side so it won't survive a nuclear blast but does the pros of the NF outweigh or at least equal the substantial increase in cost? For now, I'll be limited to 100 yards but I want the option to shoot further in the future. I read a lot of positives about both but would also want to get some hands-on opinions from the POOFA.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Looking for my first mid-range glass - Nightforce NXS vs Vortex PST

No experience with Nightforce glass so can't comment on them.

I have the Viper PST 1-4 and it's really good glass, super clear and bright. Vortex has lifetime no questions asked guarantee where they'll replace or repair scope for free.

Seeing as your limited to 100 yards for now my recommendation is go with Vortex, use it, shoot a lot and see if the scope becomes a limiting factor later since you can always upgrade if needed.

(Armstrong County)

I have the PST 1-4 on my SPR and the 2.5-10 PST on my .308 AR.

They are my "go to" for scopes. The 2.5-10 handles the recoil on the .308 just fine. Battery life is so so. But I wouldn't replace them with a Nightforce, unless the Nightforce scope was the same price. I know I just picked up the 2.5-10 with a Burris PEPR mount from Optics Planet for $550. I think the 1-4 was like $100 cheaper.

(Bucks County)

I'm honestly torn. If there were more NF options a little closer to the price of the Vortex (or even a used NF) I would be more inclined to spend the extra $$$. But considering the Vortex is 1/2 the price, it's a tough call but I want to lean towards the PST. Or maybe the Gen II PST which I hope bridges the gap between the two a little more.

(Lackawanna County)

The only fair comparison to the nightforce from vortex is their razor line. And not the new 2-10 razor hd. If you can swing the. Nihtforce get it. If you don't you'll always question it. The pst is not bad at all but it's definitely not in the same class

(Bucks County)

I was doing a little browsing and while Leupold was always on my list, I never knew which one to consider. I started reading about the Mk4 series and they seem to be a step above the Vortex and almost on par with NF while being, on average, a few hundred bucks less. Opinions?

(Armstrong County)

Just a heads up, don't be surprised to see a couple hundred dollar price increase on NF scopes after the first of the year.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Bucks County)

At the risk of post whoring my own thread, I think I found what I want and that is a Nightforce SHV in 3-10x42. Yeah, it's not illuminated and doesn't have the Zero Stop but I imagine this one will mostly be a daylight range queen so what different does it make? I can still get NF build and glass quality while sticking to the Vortex price point and get the MOAR reticle which I hear people love.

(Allegheny County)

Check out the Burris XTR II 5x25. It's 34 mm tube, zero stops and are usually priced at a little over 1k. I know guys that use these with no complaints, it's the one I'm seriously considering for my 6.5.

Comes in either SCR mil or moa reticle and is illuminated.

(Allegheny County)

+1 on Vortex. The question is: is the NF twice as good as the Vortex for your use? I'm willing to bet the NF isn't going to give you any tighter of a group than the Vortex at 100/200/300 yards.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast