Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Gun

(Delaware County)

Default Stolen Gun

My handgun was stolen out of my house it was in it's case locked with a triggar guard I reported it and the gun was recovered went through all the tests came back clean. What do I have to do to get my gun back?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Stolen Gun

Call or stop by and ask them. If it isn't evidence they should return it to you. I had a .22 pistol stolen about 10 years ago and after it was recovered they(PSP) ran their illegal check and returned it to me.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Westmoreland County)

It's always a good idea to keep a list of your gun serial numbers and any bill of sales that you might have. This could help getting a recovered gun back quickly in such a case.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooter357 View Post
    Call or stop by and ask them. If it isn't evidence they should return it to you. I had a .22 pistol stolen about 10 years ago and after it was recovered they(PSP) ran their illegal check and returned it to me.
    Running a check to find the last rightful owner is NOT an illegal check. I guess if they never ran their "illegal check" you'd still be out a pistol, right??

Unfortunately you may have to wait until the criminal case is completed before getting your firearm back. Easy way to find out is call the Officer who took your report & find out what the disposition of the case is. If the weapon was vouchered into evidence they'll still have it. If it wasn't it's probably with your county Sheriff's dept. & you can pick it up from them. Can you tell I've been through this before...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Running a check to find the last rightful owner is NOT an illegal check. I guess if they never ran their "illegal check" you'd still be out a pistol, right??
    Good point. Can't have it both ways can we.

Dave
    3%

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Good point. Can't have it both ways can we.

Dave
    On the other hand, if the pistol serial number had been included in the original stolen property report, there would be no need to check the PSP database either. I have yet to hear of anything the PSP database does that couldn't be handled just as well in some other fashion.

If someone else has a better example, please let us know how the PSP database saved your bacon to the exclusion of all other possibilities.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Lycoming County)

I had a .22 pistol stolen about 10 years ago and after it was recovered they(PSP) ran their illegal check and returned it to me.
    I believe NCIC would be the method of determining the owner. True the PSP record of sales would do it but I think NCIC would be more appropriate.

I too had a .22 pistol stolen from my vehicle in Wilkes-Barre years ago. Actually, it was my Brother's. Anyway, it turned up in NYC 4 days later. I went back and forth with Kings County DA's Office about having the firearm returned. It was not involved in a crime, other than the possession of it. They would not return it to save my life. I told them it was not their call, I was a Citizen of the Comm. of PA and NY Law meant nothing. Told them the pistol was owned by a PA Trooper (my Brother) to no avail, they did not care. He contacted them, got nothing but aggravation. It was only a Jennings, so I gave up.

Be safe.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    I was a Citizen of the Comm. of PA and NY Law meant nothing.
    Yep and where you lived meant nothing to them as well. When I was processing with NYPD, they demanded I bring all my weapons to them and surrender them till I was out of their academy. I told them they would not be getting my guns until I was a member of the department and subject to their rules.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    Yep and where you lived meant nothing to them as well. When I was processing with NYPD, they demanded I bring all my weapons to them and surrender them till I was out of their academy. I told them they would not be getting my guns until I was a member of the department and subject to their rules.
    say that again? I don't think I understood... did the NYPD demand all your legally owned firearms be handed over to them?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast