Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Your Opinion on the FN 5.7x28 pistol requested....

Thinking about buying or trading into an FN 5.7x28 mm semi automatic pistol.

They are pricey at around $1,200.

Wanted to see if any of had thoughts, opinions, or experience with this weapon or caliber first.

Thanks....

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Your Opinion on the FN 5.7x28 pistol requested....

They feel really cheap in the hand, basically the whole thing is plastic. They are blatantly over priced for what they are and unless you specifically need to shoot through body armor the cartridge isn't that great ballistically. 5.7 is also a giant PITA to reload (I can say that from personal experience). The only thing they really have going for them is that they are undeniably cool and pretty exclusive. The cheapest factory ammo can be had for around the same price as 5.56 if you order cases.

Get one as a toy, but not if you are looking for something to use as a defensive pistol.

(Philadelphia County)

I've had one for a few years and love it. It's a large gun, but very light weight. Minimal recoil and great accuracy.

The ammo can be difficult to find at most LGS, but is readily available online. Palmetto State and Cabela's usually have the American Eagle target ammo for around $17-18 for a box of 50, but I often see it on sale for $13/box. The green tips are usually extremely hard to find locally and and at the big0box stores, but can be found on Gun Broker.

It's definitely not an inexpensive gun and caliber, but I've had a high quality trouble-free experience.
    Last edited by PHLJJS; December 25th, 2016 at 05:03 PM.

I don't find it to feel cheap. The polymer used is top notch. The polymer used in Kel Tec PMR feels cheap.

The factory ammo being offered is crap. You will want to reload to get good defensive ammo. My biggest grip was location of the safety, as I not have large hands to reach safety.

I paid $800 shipped directly from FN through their LEO/military program.

(Beaver County)

I had one a few years back. I liked it but not nearly as much as the 460 S&W Mag Revolver I traded it in for. If you buy one just buy ammo in bulk.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Indiana County)

Shooting 4" steel at 100yds with open sights...

Current market prices for the FiveseveN are close to what I paid for my PS90. I've wanted a FiveseveN for years, but $1200 is a ridiculous. There was a time you could get them for less than $800 and they weren't selling because no one wanted to invest in what amounted to an oddball round. Then the media and the Dems tried to ban the 5.7x28 because it was some sort of evil, armor piercing cop killer round. Soon as that happened demand went up, supply went down, and prices crept into the $1k+ range.

I just saw someone selling a 500/rnd case of American Eagle 5.7x28 for $170. It's not as good as some of the small batch of specialty ammo from places like Elite Ammunition, however. So there are plenty of deals to be had on factory ammo. Unfortunately, no good deals on the guns themselves.

I just acquired this on Sunday, took it to the range Monday and put 100 rounds through it. I use the Wexford SGL range, and considering recent weather - the drive way to the pistol range was iced over and my car couldn't make it up. So I took it to the recently renovated rifle range further down the road - which also has a 25 yard range now (although I would have preferred to have started at the 10 yard range).

It does feel a bit odd - but not certainly not cheap. The frame has a lot in common with Glocks (of which I own eight) - all polymer with metal internals. The magazines are full polymer. The slide is a single piece of metal, and is coated in polymer. The barrel is all metal, and the recoil spring is captive on the barrel. I'm not a fan of the adjustable rear sights - I definitely have to get this on the 10 yard range and try to get those adjustable rear sights dialed in a bit more. The sights are also suppressor height.

Ammunition isn't that bad anymore either. PSA has the factory loaded 40gr Hornady VMAX rounds (SS197SR) for $17.99 for a box of 50. I'm looking at 1,000 rounds for less than $0.38 a shot. The LEO/Mil restricted ammunition can be found on Gunbroker readily, should you desire a round that is capable of penetrating soft kevlar armor and still doesn't meet the Federal requirements to be classified as "armor piercing." FNH USA does not recommend reloading this round. Apparently this goes beyond the regular manufacturer warnings against reloaded ammunition - the 5.7x28mm round has very, very little tolerance for incorrectly loaded ammunition. And it has a lacquer coating that supposedly acts as both a preservative and as an aid to extracting spent casings.

The only big downsides I see to this is the cost of a threaded barrel ($324.99 for a 5.4" EFK Fire Dragon or $354.99 for a 6" EFK Fire Dragon) and the lack of night sights (the most common option I see is to ship your slide to a specialty shop that drills out the white dots and replaces them with tritium vials). And I definitely have to get the slide cerakoted to match the frame.

(Indiana County)

Search around for ammo.
    I can't find my post, but iirc I posted this hat Sportsman's Guide had ammo for $14.99

This is the best deal going right now - Outdoor Limited American Eagle 5.7x28. I purchased 500 rnds on Monday and the order shipped on Tuesday.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast