Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Which AR-15 Carbine do you like best?

Anyone done a serious comparison of AR-15 carbines? I would love to hear some expert opinions comparing the Colt, S&W and other makes out there. For your money, which would you buy for occassional range shooting, extreme home-defense, trips to family farm to shoot varmints and such, etc.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but in Best of Shooting Times this month there was an article of a comparison of AR's. The article is on page 28-32 if you can find the issue. In it, they compare AR's from Rock River, Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, and Stag Arms. It's a fairly complete review more in terms of long distance accuracy. They cover several different topics like bullet weights and barrel twist, and the AR's potential and different uses someone might like. If you'd like, I can post some of what they found, but the most accurate was teh Rock River Varmint with the 24" barrel and a 1:8 twist.

(Bucks County)

Cool, Tomcat. Could you post a little mini-summary? I haven't seen the article.

I have never been impressed with the "pony" The one's I used in the Army weren't very accurate. The parts for a Colt will cost you more because Colt pins are larger then the other AR's. Colt is the only company that has different specs on their AR's. If I were you, I would suggest going with another company that is to "mil spec." I am not a fan of Armalite as a company as well...they burned me in the past, so I wouldn't get an Armalite...I have heard their QC has been hit or miss...mostly AR10s from what I have read.

What I think are good AR builders...DPMS, RRA, Bushmaster, Stag. Cool think about the AR's are their options seem to be limited by your imagination. If you buy the upper and lower separate, you will avoid paying the 11% excise tax. It isn't very difficult to put together a complete upper and complete lower. I think the first thing you should do is determine how much you are willing to spend...you can spend as little as $650-700 and go up from there.

(Delaware County)

I have Colt and RRA.

Don't short change the Colt because of the older ones in the military arsenal and the pin size.

(Lancaster County)

I have the nrew Bushmaster Carbon 15 M4 and like it a lot. It is the first one I have ever owned but no complaints at all.
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Chester County)

I can tell you first hand Rock River Arms. i have the 24 inch varmint and I shoot it 500 meters. I also have a 16 inch mid length. Rock river is probably the best for price and quality. colt is excellent too but pricey. RRA you wont be dissapointed!!!!

(Bucks County)

It really depends on how much money you want to spend. My Bushmaster M4A3 is a nice little gun, and cost around $800 before upgrades. There are quite a few better guns out there, but you'll pay the price for better equipment.

(Bucks County)

I just lunch with some Colt guys and they have nothing but bad things to say about Busheys. Not surprising I guess but they claimed that Bush has purchased some products from Colt vendors that were rejected by Colt.

According to them if you buy a Bush, RRA, etc. and you are only going to shoot it a few weekends a year then they are fine. However none would hold up in Military conditions.

Again, take this for what its worth.

BTW, I have a Colt and love it. However not at all the lowest cost option.

(Chester County)

I am a big colt guy but I dissagree with your lunch buddies. colt makes nice stuff but to think RRA will not hold up to combat think again. RRA is bad ass. I liked them from the get go. I remember when they broke off from armalite.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast