Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I'm not a fan of the AR15, but RRA has the best reputation. I'm not impressed with my Bushmaster XM15E2 (20inch A2) at all. If I were to buy another AR15, it would probable be a RRA.

(Fulton County)

only problem with buying a complete ar... thats the 11% XS tax they charge you plus your state tax but a lower one day and the next day buy a upper and you wont have to pay the xs tax save yourself 11%

(Blair County)

Colt and FN are " Tier One" in that they are the companies DoD buys from. However, Colt commercial guns have some differences from the GI models, and there are no FN commercial guns.

In the mid 90s I was a Rifle Company XO, and we had mostly Colt and a few FN M16A2s. Compared to the Colts, they were crap. Bad finish, poor parts fiit.

None of this means that BM, RRA, or anyone elses gun is not as good as a Colt or FN, or not suitable for combat use. I've been carrying a (actually a series of) BM guns in Iraq for about two years, and all of them have run without a hitch. The only bolt I've ever seen break was on a Colt M4A1, for what it's worth.

I've owned Bushmasters that were very good, but that was a few years ago. Most of my current guns are built on mostly RRA parts. Which is to say, mostly CMT parts.

RRA, BM, S&W, Armalite, Colt, LMT, and some others make quality guns. If you inspect the gun prior to purchase, you should be able to see any of the glaring deficiencies (tilted front sight bases, etc.)

I don't have an ideal manufacturer so much as an ideal configuration. Here's what I want on a general purpose rifle: flat top reciever, collapsable stock (preferably an Vltor), 16 inch barrel (preferably chrome lined), red dot sight (preferably an EOTech on a Larue mount), free float handguards (Yankee Hill or better), back up iron sights (flip rear, flip or fixed front), Phantom or Vortex flash hider.

As far as complete rifles go right now, I believe the S&W M&P 15T is the best deal going. The forend and flip sights are worth almost $600 on their own, and it's going for about $300 more than baseline rifles.

Regardless of what you get, make sure your carrier key is staked. That's probably the one overlooked manufacturing step which is most frequently overlooked, and it will make an otherwise good gun go single shot in a hurry.

As always, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

doug

(Schuylkill County)

Default ARs

I've had the opportunity to have trained on and used the M16, CAR, M16A1 and M16A2 as issued. I have also trained on the L.E. versions of the M4. I think the AR15 type rifles have come a long way, especially with the optics available today . I assembled my own AR with a Bushmaster lower and Colt HBar flat-top upper. The rifle shoots well and has had no failures. I'm satisfied!!! I have heard nothing but good things about the Rock River units also. My advice, buy the best you can afford and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Actually, spect already made his choice and bought a BM.

As with many things in life...it is about personal preference. I am not impressed with Colt, but there are loyal fans out there...to each his/her own.

(Allegheny County)

I did just buy a bushmaster.. Ive been shopping around for an AR for a while now.

I am very happy with the bushy! It was listed msrp of 1100 on the website (I realise nobody pays msrp), and I bought it for 800. Its the 'M16 A2 Type'.

The reason I went with the bushmaster over DPMS or RRA are the features the bushmaster offered stock. I am a machinist, so things that other people overlook are very important to me.

The bushmaster came stock with chrome lined barrel+chamber, which inceases barrel life by 2x in some cases, and also helps with cleaning and cartdrige extraction.

The other biggie for me was how the front sight/gas fixture was attached. The best method IMO is taper pins. Im not sure what DPMS uses, they didnt list it on thier website. I know Armalite uses socket head cap screws, which work fine, but still not as solid as taper pins. This means if I ever smack the front sight off of something, it will be much more difficult to move it.

It also came stock with a flash suppressor.

The finish on the aluminum is beautifull hard flat black anodizing. It seems to be very VERY durable and scratch resistant. Trigger pull is nice and crisp.

Came with a 30rd mag, plastic case, chamber flag, and sight in target. It wouldave been nice to get it with a cleaning kit too, but not a big deal.

Ive had about 200 rounds of various wieght and manufacture through the gun so far, and I have only had 1 hiccup, which I think may have been an underloaded cartridge. The casing extracted, but the bolt closed too quickly and jammed the casing between the bolt face and the side of the ejection port.. Just a quick pull on the charging handle and it was back to buisness!

If anyone in the pittsburgh area is interested in a bushmaster, go to sportsmans warehouse. They had the best price I could find anywhere. Closest anyone else could get was 900 bux. This was 809 (ended up 860 out the door)

Just my 2 cents.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Which AR-15 Carbine do you like best?

Spectre6,

Congratulations. BM makes excellent rifles.

Another benefit of the chromed chamber/bore is that there is no recommended break in procedure, you just shoot it. After a couple hundred rounds, re confirm your zero, and your set.

RRA FSBs are installed with straight pins. Don't ask.

doug

(Allegheny County)

I forgot to mention, the BM came perfectly sighted in.

Talking Re: Which AR-15 Carbine do you like best?

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Bill T.

(York County)

I looked at a number of AR 15's. I chose a Rock River Arms Tactical Entry which seemed to be a great value.
    Another one I looked at was the S&W which is made by Stag Arms...nice rifle, but I think the RRA is the better gun. I am, admittedly, far from being an expert on rifles.
    I did give serious consideration to Stag Arms since I'm more of a lefty (NOT left in politics!), but with the case deflectors, that not really a consideration.

The RRA is a great shooter...better by far, then I am! Next is picking up a 7" or 10" upper for an SBR!

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast