I asked this of a PSP trooper and he said there is no list he knows of, but I find it hard to believe there is no data base of reported lost or stolen firearms to compare against if they come across a suspicious weapon or recover one.

The reason I ask is s simple one. If you lose a firearm and after a certain period of time it is not found, if it is found by someone and they do not report it, wouldn't or couldn't it then be considered stolen? After all, it does not belong to the person that found it, they did not report finding it so in essence they have stolen it.

Now say that person gets pulled over for a traffic stop and they run the gun against that "Non-existent data base", shouldn't they contact the owner of the weapon, or if not and it is put into storage shouldn't a person be able to call and find out if a certain firearm has been recovered or not?

We always hear there are not data bases, but they have the information when one is reported missing or stolen, do they just keep them for themselves when they recover them? Is there a central data bank a person can call when looking for information on their missing or stolen firearm? Or does this entire post not make sense?

Just curious,
Pooch15825