Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Beretta 92FS mag issue

I have a Beretta 92FS Inox, and 7 mags for it. Four of the magazines are factory mags, and three are made for Beretta. Two of the factory mags, and two of the non-Beretta manufactured mags fail to cause the slide to lock back after the last round is fired. I am wondering what if anything I can do to these mags to correct the problem. Is it just a matter of making a minor adjustment to the lip of the mag? All of the other mags function fine, and I have fired lots of different ammo through the gun. I don't think the ammo should have any bearing on the situation but I am trying to include as much info as I can in advance. I have used other people's Beretta mags and after market mags without a problem (i.e. the slide locks back/open after the last round is fired/ejected). That is why I feel it is an issue with just those particular mags. I will admit that through fault of my own it is to late to return any of the mags, I would just use the mags that didn't lock the slide at the range and keep a rounds fired count in my head and then do a chamber clear drill when I reach what should have been an empty mag. I have reach a point now where the Beretta is the main go to gun in the safe, and I want to be able to grab any mag I find and have the gun function as intended. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

Raskin

Liberta, numquam ex more

(York County)

Default Re: Beretta 92FS mag issue

Unless the mags are Beretta or Mec-Gar (who also makes the Beretta mags) the others are simply junk. I have had issues in the past with 92 and 96 mags from various makers and nothing I have tried ever made them better. In the end, I pitched the junk ones and continued using my Mec-gar and Beretta mags. I tried replacing the springs and followers, etc....all to no avail.

Just my .02

John

(York County)

This might be a small item to check, Have the magazines ever been
    completely stripped? if they had and were re-assembled, Check to make
    sure the magazine springs have been inserted correctly with the proper end
    under the magazine follower. Just one item to eliminate from your problem.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Luzerne County)

each mag has a small plastic lip on the side, when the mag is empty it exposes the lip which pushes up on the slide release and thus locks the slide in place. If you mag spring is weak tired or just plain dirty it cannot function properly. Leaving your mags fully loaded at all times is a good way to compress the sping and make it loose its tension. Changing your springs from time to time makes a world of difference. You can get a pack of new springs from wolff really cheap.
    - Big D
    I am looking for SIG ST Series pistols. Please PM me if you have one you would like to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    Unless the mags are Beretta or Mec-Gar (who also makes the Beretta mags) the others are simply junk. I have had issues in the past with 92 and 96 mags from various makers and nothing I have tried ever made them better. In the end, I pitched the junk ones and continued using my Mec-gar and Beretta mags. I tried replacing the springs and followers, etc....all to no avail.
    IIRC, MDS makes the Beretta mags. And they also sell mags stamped "MDS" and not "Beretta" that are just as good as factory.