Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Women and the semi-auto slide

I have been reading for years that the problem women have racking the slide on semi-auto pistols is due to lack of strength. My wife has a weak left arm because of a major spiral fracture that had to be surgically stabilized with a metal plate that runs from her elbow to her shoulder. Even so, she has no trouble racking the slide on my Colt Pony Series 90, my Colt 1911, and my SIG P220. I became curious as to what may be the source of this discrepancy. At first, I thought it may be that her finger strength was actually better than most because she is an obsessive knitter. But, I started paying more attention to women trying semi-autos at the range and the LGS. A pattern that I have noticed is that the women who have trouble with the slide also tend to have long fingernails. Those with highly decorated nails seem to be especially handicapped in slide racking. My wife's nails are short because she doesn't want her yarn to catch on her nails. She grips the slide serrations with fingers and thumbs curved in to give her a mechanical advantage. Women with long nails tend to lay their fingers and thumbs alongside the slide which seems to me to be a weaker grip. So, is the problem fingernail preservation rather than strength? I don't write this to denigrate women, but out of genuine curiosity as to whether this may be the real reason for the observation.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Women and the semi-auto slide

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I have been reading for years that the problem women have racking the slide on semi-auto pistols is due to lack of strength. My wife has a weak left arm because of a major spiral fracture that had to be surgically stabilized with a metal plate that runs from her elbow to her shoulder. Even so, she has no trouble racking the slide on my Colt Pony Series 90, my Colt 1911, and my SIG P220. I became curious as to what may be the source of this discrepancy. At first, I thought it may be that her finger strength was actually better than most because she is an obsessive knitter. But, I started paying more attention to women trying semi-autos at the range and the LGS. A pattern that I have noticed is that the women who have trouble with the slide also tend to have long fingernails. Those with highly decorated nails seem to be especially handicapped in slide racking. My wife's nails are short because she doesn't want her yarn to catch on her nails. She grips the slide serrations with fingers and thumbs curved in to give her a mechanical advantage. Women with long nails tend to lay their fingers and thumbs alongside the slide which seems to me to be a weaker grip. So, is the problem fingernail preservation rather than strength? I don't write this to denigrate women, but out of genuine curiosity as to whether this may be the real reason for the observation.
    Isn't the correct way to rack a slide to not use your fingers? Hold the slide in the palm of your non-dominant hand, hold the grip in your dominant hand with your finger off the trigger, with the muzzle facing down and away, pistol near chest, push forward with dominant hand. Nails don't come near the serrations.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/rack...ique-strength/

Sorry for the reference, but it was the best I found. CTD sucks.

(Lancaster County)

I've always found PUSHING the frame with my dominant while holding the slide with my weak hand much easier than trying to pull the slide back - or moving both hands in opposite directions - either way is easier than pulling the slide back with my "weak" (non-dominant) hand...

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Bucks County)

Yep, Pete got it right. Too many don't realize it takes more strength to pull a slide rearward, and that also promotes 'riding the slide' , than it takes to push the gun out from under the slide, and that prevents slide riding. Proper strong hand grip, comfortable weak hand grip of slide, shove gun with strong hand forcefully forward until the slide slips from weak hand. I haven't met a woman, girl, or even girlie-man yet that can't handle a full size 1911 using this method.

(Chester County)

Long nails can affect the way you grasp a slide especially nails that have been carefully painted. I keep mine medium length and use a clear most of the time and can rack any slide.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

I rack the slide with my teeth.
    I thought this was going to be a new dance like the electric slide

(Bucks County)

I don't understand the physics, but for me pulling a slide from the rear is much more difficult than pulling it from up near the front.

Many semi-autos have serrations near the front as well as the rear, possibly for that reason. Problem is, RSOs freak when they see your hand near the muzzle.

I have installed grip tape (aka skateboard tape) on my G23 and my P3AT on the rear sides of the slides. Makes drawing the slide effortless.

I file the tape to reduce the unneeded sharpness before applying.

Grip tape can also be placed strategically on all manner of rifles (and magazines) to give better grip.

(Indiana County)

Grab the edge of the bench with the rear sight and push the frame forward.
    No off hand needed...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Grab the edge of the bench with the rear sight and push the frame forward.
    No off hand needed...
    And when there's no bench available to clear a malfunction during a self defense situation?

(Berks County)

Slide rack effort is the plywood animal with the yardstick at the entrance to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast