Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Spray?

Default Pepper Spray?

Alright, ive finally decided its time to get some pepper spray. Im 19 so I cant carry and I would like to have something on me that I could use to defend myself. Ive done some research before and ive heard that Fox Labs comes in high regards. In your opinion what is the best type of spray to use? ie;stream, foam, cone, fog. My thoughts were that the stream would give you more distance and a better chance of not getting yourself in the process. I got my first taste of pepper spray the other day and I would not like anymore to say the least.

Does anyone know if this is the stream type?
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TAC164-1.html

Also if there is any others that you could suggest it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Re: Pepper Spray?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAHF View Post
    Alright, ive finally decided its time to get some pepper spray. Im 19 so I cant carry and I would like to have something on me that I could use to defend myself. Ive done some research before and ive heard that Fox Labs comes in high regards. In your opinion what is the best type of spray to use? ie;stream, foam, cone, fog. My thoughts were that the stream would give you more distance and a better chance of not getting yourself in the process. I got my first taste of pepper spray the other day and I would not like anymore to say the least.

Also if there is any others that you could suggest it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    I have the Mean Green Fox Labs but in the 1.5 OZ can, and it's the cone version. I think the 3 OZ can is a little to big to carry around, however I do have one in the stream. I would say forget about the foam. That is more to be used indoors such as prisons, I've been hit with that it looks like your face is covered with cheese. I prefer the cone because it comes out wider but it doesn't go as far. The stream comes out thinner but will go a lot farther. So basically I would recommend the 1.5 OZ cone version. Good luck.

Bazinga

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAHF View Post

Thanks.
    There are a bunch of threads on this already, see for example here.

Fox labs makes both stream and fog, so I can't tell from your link which it is; you should check with the retailer. They also make a foam, but I think it is only in a 50 gram container. I don't much rate foam anyhow. Smaller particles are quicker to act, and foam can be scooped up and thrown back at you.

Fox also sells two types of trigger, the model you linked appears to be the flip top. You slide your thumb (thumb, not index finger, it's not air freshener) under the lid and press down. The "cop top" version does not have the flip up lid, because it's designed to be carried on a belt (OC for OC!). With the cop top you just push straight down.

(York County)

I have a JPX for when I travel to and through the good ol' state of Maryland, and the Guardian Angels (now called Pepper Blaster), that are in my car and my wife's, as well as one in her purse.

Here's the link -

From KimberAmerica - - - - http://www.life-act.com/

Ebay, new - G/A is about $36-$40, JPX is about $300 depending on options. I have the orange model with laser.

Before you decide on what size you want you should compare.

Bazinga

(Dauphin County)

I have been thinking about carrying pepper spray too, and i have herd alot of good things about Fox Labs products. I know a Maryland State Trooper that said he was hit with this stuff and it was stronger than any other spray he had been hit with before. So today I decided i was going get get some, and I called Fox Labs and talked to Ed (who i assume is the owner) and he was a great guy, and talked to me for about 10+ min about their product and answering any questions I had and he was very informative. I ended up getting the the FIVE point Three version and a holster and a training unit/dummy unit so i can see how the device works with out hurting myself or others. Ed also told me that he supplies alot of big name law enforcement agencies use his product, from the Supermax prison in Colorado (which is assume is ADX Florence), to the prisons over in Afghanistan, to numerous State Police and Sheriffs offices to Soldiers in Iraq. I think based upon the reviews and testimonials as well with Ed's knowledge he dropped on me today about their product, I will be satisfied. I also gave Ed the address to this website and told him to drop in and say HI as there is usually a thread every 3-6 months about what spray is best ect. ect. So hopefully he drops in and says Hello.

This is the product I purchased

Exclamation Re: Pepper Spray?

To all considering pepper spray: It is an Aerosol/Compressed gas product. As such, you really don't wanna keep it in your vehicle on a HOT day. There are a few brands that claim to be vehicle friendly, but overall I would not recommend keeping it in your car.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter9x19 View Post
    To all considering pepper spray: It is an Aerosol/Compressed gas product. As such, you really don't wanna keep it in your vehicle on a HOT day. There are a few brands that claim to be vehicle friendly, but overall I would not recommend keeping it in your car.
    Yea i wouldn't leave it in the car either, I cant image opening your car up after work or something and have a face and mouth full of fox labs hit you....That would suck.

Im going to carry it at work and see if they say anything...which i dont think they will because i know some guys that carry like multi tools with knives ect so i dont think it will be a big deal. I have been watching soem videos of people and copys getting hit with this Five point Three stuff on youtube and its looks pretty darn good. lol

(Berks County)

I dig the Sabre OC/CS hybrid spray in the stream. Cones are fine, but I like the stream to prevent blowback, and it gets behind sunglasses better. Took a small hit to try it, was definatley blind off the bat, didnt regain any real vision for 3 minutes, and my face hurt like hell for the rest of the day.

(Montgomery County)

Took a small hit to try it, was definatley blind off the bat, didnt regain any real vision for 3 minutes, and my face hurt like hell for the rest of the day.
    You actually timed how long you went blind? And why would you spray yourself? I never understood why some non leo/military people do this. Don't think I'm insulting you, I just don't get it.

I prefer the streams too. Would rather have the extra reach.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast