Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Actual weight of a S&W MP 9c?

I have looked around online and found a few different answers to this...I was wondering if anyone had a scale and could post the answer!! I would be looking for the weight of the gun and then the weight of the gun plus the mag. I have a Glock 26 gen 3 which weighs in at 21.5 unloaded with mag an 19.5 without the magazine...

What is the weight of a S&W MP 9c? (the compact) Can anyone help a guy out!?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Actual weight of a S&W MP 9c?

Per S&W website, 24.7 Oz with thumb safety

gun + empty 12 round mag = 24.95 oz
    gun w/o mag = 22.45 oz

all reading from my (decent) kitchen scale
    my 9C equipped with thumb safety

(Berks County)

Size and round count, Glock beats everybody. Smaller with more rounds. Smith feels better in the hand. Smith looks nicer. I don't have a scale handy to weigh pistols. I will say, for me, side by side, on technical points, Golck wins. It was not the conclusion I would have predicted before I objectively considered both brands. Glock stacks the bullets wider, getting more in the columb. Glock mags are cheaper and can be more available. Glocks are homely looking. hope it helps.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Size and round count, Glock beats everybody. Smaller with more rounds. Smith feels better in the hand. Smith looks nicer. I don't have a scale handy to weigh pistols. I will say, for me, side by side, on technical points, Golck wins. It was not the conclusion I would have predicted before I objectively considered both brands. Glock stacks the bullets wider, getting more in the columb. Glock mags are cheaper and can be more available. Glocks are homely looking. hope it helps.
    Thanks for the weights Grumpy!

Smaller yes, but what I've been finding interesting is the fact that with the flat bottomed magazine the 9c and 26 are the almost same height but the 9c holds 12 rounds vs the Glock's 10....Yes I know the extra weight most likely comes from the extra bit of length but I have to say I love the feel of the 9c but the 26 was a better deal at the time...

So I also weighed a Glock 19. That came in at 21.5 empty with no mag....So I'm debating if the smaller package is worth being essentially the same weight as the Glock 19...The biggest difference is that the Glock 19 would weigh in higher due to the additional 3 rounds.

Anyone have both a Glock 19 and a 9c and choose the 9c? If so why, or if you choose the 19....what are you thoughts?

(Columbia County)

Anyone have both a Glock 19 and a 9c and choose the 9c? If so why, or if you choose the 19....what are you thoughts?
    I owned a MP9 C and I own and still have a glock 19. The reason I got rid of the MP was the trigger. I never like it. Apparently the trigger on the MP is not very popular which is why a aftermarket company makes a trigger kit for it called the apex.

http://www.apextactical.com/

I like a gun that works to my satisfaction right out of the box. After I buy a gun I shouldn't have to buy an internal part to bring it's trigger up to par that most likely voids the S&W warranty. Also if the gun fails to fire or fires unintentionally with the trigger kit installed, I am certain that S&W is going to blame Apex and Apex is going to blame S&W for the mishap. My suggestion is to pass on the S&W and consider a Glock or other striker fired such as H&K Vp9 or Walther PPQ.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    I owned a MP9 C and I own and still have a glock 19. The reason I got rid of the MP was the trigger. I never like it. Apparently the trigger on the MP is not very popular which is why a aftermarket company makes a trigger kit for it called the apex.
    I agree with your assessment of the 9C trigger, as long as you limit the criticism to the earlier, "pre-shield" 9C's. The 2 problems with the earlier guns were gritty triggers and lack of audible/tactile reset. The Apex kit addressed the reset issue (but not on my gun because mine has a thumb safety). The gritty-ness was pretty easy to resolve with some disassembly and cleaning up the burrs on the firing pin blocker boss. I did mine after viewing a few videos on the interweb.

When S&W was designing the Shield, they decided to incorporate the trigger design from the Shield into new M&P's and when I handled a new 9C in my LGS the trigger seemed much improved. So don't let reports (accurate reports!) of a crappy trigger on earlier 9C's discourage you from, at least, looking at a new one.

(Berks County)

Other than the trigger are there any reasons you would prefer the Glock over the 9c?