Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Where to get training for LTC/safety for my daughter

My 25 year old daughter, who has never to my knowledge even held a gun in her hand, spoke up a couple of weeks ago and said she wanted to get her LTC permit and then in turn carry for self defense. Her job as a family therapist takes her to some not so desirable areas and I think she has come to grips with needing to do this.

Having grown up with guns my whole life and having my own LTC permit for as long as I can remember, I could do this, but would rather she take some sort of structured class. And handling a gun is almost second nature to me and I am not sure I would do a good job of addressing all she needs to know as a newbie. I have been searching on the internet and quite frankly haven't found much, and have also looked at the training section of this forum and can't find anything local. Live between Butler and Pittsburgh and would appreciate any advice on what would be an appropriate class(es) as well as knowledge of where to find it/them.

Hopefully can find something in time to make this a Christmas gift.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

(Berks County)

Default Re: Where to get training for LTC/safety for my daughter

If she isn't familiar with firearms, I would highly recommend that she initially obtain instruction from a female trainer, as women learn very differently than men. Once she has the core principles down, then she'd benefit from training from both sexes. While I don't know if they have a female instructor, Rockwell Tactical is a PHENOMENAL training group here in PA, with former and current special operations officers - http://www.rockwelltactical.com .
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

(Allegheny County)

F.I.R.E Institute has a nice One Day Handgun Clinic that is geared towards the novice.
    I took the class myself several years back and found it to be useful even though I've been around guns since I was ten.

It looks like this year's courses are over. Maybe call to see if they have an idea what is planned for 2017?

I really don't know of any others to suggest - I'm sure you'll get some other suggestions though.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Here is the order of approach:

1. NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting class (there is some shooting involved, but not a whole lot) - this way she can figure out the initial likes and dislikes of each type of handgun (semi-autos vs. revolvers).

2. Go to the range and try various handguns by renting them. Shoot atleast 30 rounds of each type of ammo - run the gambit from .38 special to 9mm to 40S&W

3. Buy the handgun that shoots and feels the best. Put atleast 200 rounds through the firearm at the range on two separate occassions to make sure that whatever she learnt at the NRA class actually stuck.

4. Go to a Concealed Carry Class.

By now, she will know if she really wants to carry or not and the intent to carry will be more than a knee jerk reaction.

5. Go to an Advanced (fighting) Pistol Class.

Even if she opts not to carry, she will still have a home defense weapon.

Here are some links:

Sheriffs office at butler county offers a course. CLICK HERE TO GO TO THAT PAGE

North Side Sportmen’s Association located at:
    325 Mt. Pleasant Road
    Warrendale, PA 15086
    they have a bevy of courses starting December 17th. CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE TRAINING PAGE

Good Luck.
    Last edited by TheTailhound; December 8th, 2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: had the wrong NRA course name

thewellarmedwoman.com

Its for girls only.

(Venango County)

In our store we have a fellow who advertises classes. He also gives a female only course of instruction which a lot of the newer ladies like. I am off today but will check into it.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTailhound View Post
    ... Shoot atleast 30 rounds of each type of ammo - run the gambit from .38 special to 9mm to 40S&W ...
    .45 ACP - the red-headed step-child... again.

Mrs.K loved shooting my 1911, it was just too big for *her* to carry. Don't count out my favorite caliber just 'cause she's a girl...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    F.I.R.E Institute has a nice One Day Handgun Clinic that is geared towards the novice.
    I took the class myself several years back and found it to be useful even though I've been around guns since I was ten.

It looks like this year's courses are over. Maybe call to see if they have an idea what is planned for 2017?

I really don't know of any others to suggest - I'm sure you'll get some other suggestions though.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
    I also would suggest taking the FireInstitute's One Day Familiarization class for what it costs.

I don't believe it's necessary to get the instruction from a woman.
    I have taken quite a few classes where women excel in the learning curve as opposed to males.
    Women, #1, listen to what you say, then, #2, actually DO what's presented. They are not as one instructor pointed out, testosterone impaired.

Very few people continue training beyond basic familiarization.
    People who don't even know what they don't know look at the $400 to $500 cost of a 21 hour tactical pistol class and feel they could have a tangible item for that money ( another gun) as opposed to an intangible ( knowledge ).
    In my case, learning how much I didn't know opened my eyes to how MUCH info is out there.
    To me, it was like a series of plateaus. Once I learned the basic manipulation of

Loading, unloading the firearm.
    Sight alignment, sight picture.
    Trigger manipulation, reset and follow through.
    Presentations , reholstering.
    Rounds on target from 3 yards and out.

Clearing malfunctions.
    Shooting on the move.
    Use of concealement and cover.

Night, low light situations and all the manipulations needed with minimal visual assistance.

Shooting at moving targets. Distance shooting.

People insist that classes on how to fight with a gun are necessary, yet repetition of the basics and ingraining those skills are probably as important as taking high speed , low drag courses. Slow is fast.

Somewhere along the line, defending yourself without a gun should come into play.
    Contact weapons, edged wepons or hand to hand defense.

While everything I listed is good stuff, understand there is no training facility or instructor that can teach you this in a single class,
    There is just too much information to process, practice and remember.

Of course, please realize this is only one man's opinion and by this time, everyone should know how I feel about those.

Good luck.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Check out the classes at Millvale sportsmen's club near Cranberry. They have female only and co-ed classes.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    .45 ACP - the red-headed step-child... again.

Mrs.K loved shooting my 1911, it was just too big for *her* to carry. Don't count out my favorite caliber just 'cause she's a girl...
    Easy Sarge. I loved shooting .45s till i started shooting 10mm. I started off on my dad's old 1943 remington rand 1911. i was about 8 and i could barely hold on to it. Didnt even have enough strength to activate the grip safety at times. Anyhew, hung in there and in about 3 years i could shoot it just fine.... In the OP's daughter's case, I figured, she could go up to .40 and if she had the need to up the power factor from there, she could make the jump on her own to the .45.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast