Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anywhere In South Hills to shoot Semi Auto (rapidly if I want)?

Emptymag,
    Thank you for the offer, but we have been out there a few times for different events and as guests.

I just have to make a decision.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Both my father and I have been members at Clairton for over 8 years now. The only thing we ever get in the mail form them is to renew the fee. I havent even heard of a anything fun like that going on there! Most of the people that are on the range are pretty nice. Its the A-hole's that drive their truck up and down and monitor if you are rapid firing. Seriously, get a life other than hanging out at the range all day. Yet you will go up to the shotgun range and let semi auto shotguns pop off all day with no restrictions. Def not renewing here...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Long Branch sportsman's club near Belle Vernon has an indoor pistol range (currently limited to 22s only while they fix it up but it used to be any center fire pistol) and they have an outdoor 10 yard rifle range with effectively no rules.

I shoot my ARs and similar rapid fire at Clairton once a month and I'm not even a member. I just go the first Sunday of the month to the action shoot. Members pay $10 and non-members pay $20. Usually a lunch is provided. They set up fun courses on all the pistol bays that are leo only. You can shoot them however you see fit, dump a lot of rounds and do mag changes, etc. No times unless you want to race. They typically also set up the bays and shoot the Sunday prior. Also they do some night shoots. The more you go the more you will get to know the people and get more opportunities to shoot without following the stupid rules at Clairton.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    It is far enough to matter. For me, it's 23 miles one way, which is pretty damned far just to go pop off some rounds, especially since you have to go through two damned tunnels from where I am.

Probably explains why I have yet to go there in 18 months or so. But they still get my money, so I guess it is the thought that counts.

Maybe I'll go there one time next summer.

In any event, I'd rather pay PMSC $100/year and not go, than go to some bullshit 1-round at a time range for free.
    I have to drive further than that just to hit the State Game Lands ranges.

(Allegheny County)

My wife and I joined Washington County Machine Guns about a month ago. We live in Scott township, it takes about a half hour to get down there. It's a very nice set up, and it looks like there is room for expansion. Plus, As you probably know, there are no restrictions for firing rate or amount.

(Allegheny County)

I just joined CSC in December. The fee structure is different but I don't mind it. I just moved here from upstate NY where nearly all the gun clubs are closed memberships with waiting lines. For the clubs that had openings, the membership fees were very expensive. Also, compared to paying 20 a visit to an indoor range, the CSC membership is worth it. I am not sure why people complain about a 5 dollar guest fee, if you are bringing people so frequently that this fee becomes too much for you they should probably just become a member. However, as I am a new member I guess I will reevaluate at the end of the year when it comes time to renew. Also, FWIW, I get an email from CSC every few days about things going on at the club.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by uaheclipse24 View Post
    PMSC is way to far. I just dont understand these gun clubs. AR's and other tactical firearms are very popular, yet no gun club lets you use them to their potential. I have to go out to my buddies cabin 2 hours away to rapid shoot. It just stinks...
    Everyone is afraid of trial lawyers and law suits.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    Everyone is afraid of trial lawyers and law suits.
    Well, not everyone.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Well, not everyone.
    From what I understand, the action pistol range at CSC is not limited to LEOs. It is a supervised range meaning you just need to schedule a time a range officer can meet you there. I am pretty sure you can use your AR or other tactical firearm to its "full potential" on that range.

Another vote for PMSC. I too lived in the South hills for a few years. My wife (g/f at the time) introduced me to PMSC. I was reluctant at first as it was a far drive and I was pretty close to Clairton. I never went to Clairton but went to PMSC so my wife and I could shoot together. At the time PMSC was also cheaper than Clairton but I think they're about the same now. I maybe didn't go as often as I would have liked due to the distance but I'm not sure that I would have gone anymore if it was closer (although I may have tried to be more involved in club activities). I've never had a problem at PMSC. Only 1 time in my 3-4 years as a member I was checked by a board member just to ensure that I had my badge and was current. All of the members I have interacted with have been friendly and most importantly SAFE. I've never witnessed unsafe behavior, although I have heard stories like any other club. I've even taken part in a few classes there that were offered. Put it this way...I now live almost 3hrs away from PMSC and I'm still keeping my membership current because it's a great club and maybe I'll shoot there once or twice a year while visiting friends and family.

All work is done by volunteer. Like I said, living in the southhills it's tough to be "involved" on a regular basis when you have to drive so far. Some have mentioned hiring a groundskeeper but I don't think it has gone very far. Don't get me wrong, the members do a good job keeping up with the place. I guess my point is, if you join, try to help out whenever you can even if it's something as simple as emptying a trash barrel(of which there are many). Clearly too many members use and abuse and then complain when things are not to their liking. The dues have also increased in recent years. I became a member roughly 5 years ago and at that time it was $65, then it was $75, and now it's $100 all within 5 years. I hope that's the end of it for a while though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123