Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anywhere In South Hills to shoot Semi Auto (rapidly if I want)?

A sponsor is technically required, but anyone will generally sign for you. I just showed up and a board member signed for me.

To hell with Collier, I got a membership there when I lived in Scott Twp. My second visit, has some drunkard come up from the bar, claiming to be a rangemaster demanding I pay him $5 for my Dad's guest fee. I was in my early 20's at the time and it was a very discouraging place to be overall.

Went back to DMSC where I grew up shooting and have now been a member for 10 years. It's a great group of guys who generally care about the sport and less about the social club aspects. They also care about conservation and you can fish the crick.

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like I found a new gun club...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    My drive to PMSC is over 25 miles, and I never thought it was all that super far... It's not a "roll out of your bed and into the range" kind of distance, but I have no issues going there once a week, if not more...
    It is far enough to matter. For me, it's 23 miles one way, which is pretty damned far just to go pop off some rounds, especially since you have to go through two damned tunnels from where I am.

Probably explains why I have yet to go there in 18 months or so. But they still get my money, so I guess it is the thought that counts.

Maybe I'll go there one time next summer.

In any event, I'd rather pay PMSC $100/year and not go, than go to some bullshit 1-round at a time range for free.

(Allegheny County)

My wife and I are currently members at Colliers and Iron City Armory. (We also get together with 10 or so friends once a month to rent a bay at A&S indoor range to run some practice drills.)

We are currently debating which club we are going to join next year, the drive to PMSC is 45-50 min from our house in the south hills (and yes, I have gone via different routes with the same - if not worse results). I have been reluctant to join PMSC for this reason, even though I think it is the most "progressive" club in the greater Pittsburgh area as far as defensive shooting/practicing goes. My wife is really pushing for us to join it, but I'm not sold yet (I got the rest of this month to make my decision.)

Other clubs we have looked at are Washington County Machine Guns and Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Washington County)

Long Branch sportsman's club near Belle Vernon has an indoor pistol range (currently limited to 22s only while they fix it up but it used to be any center fire pistol) and they have an outdoor 10 yard rifle range with effectively no rules.

I shoot my ARs and similar rapid fire at Clairton once a month and I'm not even a member. I just go the first Sunday of the month to the action shoot. Members pay $10 and non-members pay $20. Usually a lunch is provided. They set up fun courses on all the pistol bays that are leo only. You can shoot them however you see fit, dump a lot of rounds and do mag changes, etc. No times unless you want to race. They typically also set up the bays and shoot the Sunday prior. Also they do some night shoots. The more you go the more you will get to know the people and get more opportunities to shoot without following the stupid rules at Clairton.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    ...they have an outdoor 10 yard rifle range with effectively no rules.
    Jezuz, from that distance, you should just practice throwing rocks at your target.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Jezuz, from that distance, you should just practice throwing rocks at your target.

Bayonet charges. Definitely bayonet charges.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    My wife and I are currently members at Colliers and Iron City Armory. (We also get together with 10 or so friends once a month to rent a bay at A&S indoor range to run some practice drills.)

We are currently debating which club we are going to join next year, the drive to PMSC is 45-50 min from our house in the south hills (and yes, I have gone via different routes with the same - if not worse results). I have been reluctant to join PMSC for this reason, even though I think it is the most "progressive" club in the greater Pittsburgh area as far as defensive shooting/practicing goes. My wife is really pushing for us to join it, but I'm not sold yet (I got the rest of this month to make my decision.)

Other clubs we have looked at are Washington County Machine Guns and Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club.

I assume with all the shooting experience you have that you've been there before, but if not, and you'd like a tour, I could show you around.
    I'm probably wrapping up my remaining work for the season by this weekend and will have a pretty flexible schedule once I have no work to do. (unless it snows)

OP - same offer.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

PMSC is the place to go, and I'm not a member there, although I'm going to apply soon.

I live in Bethel and it's about 40 minutes.

I'm a member at Clairton too, and yes, it is more restrictive than PMSC.

Library is also restrictive, I'm not renewing there.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Pete; December 8th, 2016 at 06:52 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast