Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile RABBIT HUNTING ?

Anyone in the N E PA haveing any luck bunny hunting ? they seem to be scarce around here and hardly any coyote tracks .

(Wayne County)

Default Re: RABBIT HUNTING ?

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Anyone in the N E PA haveing any luck bunny hunting ? they seem to be scarce around here and hardly any coyote tracks .
    In all my years living up here, I have rarely seen any bunnies. I think I've only ever shot two cottontails, one definitely, while on the plateau. I see sign of snowhoe hares occasionally, and I even saw an Appalachian cottontail once. But bunnies just are not a beech/maple forest kinda critter. Get up toward Honesdale or down off the plateau and you'll see more.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Butler County)

I've been hunting bunnies a long time, close to 50 years. The last 5-6 years have been horrible. I even have trouble finding rabbits at the beagle club where I train my dogs. It's a fenced in area with feed plots, shelters and everything for rabbits. The clubs around here have trouble running field trials because they can't a rabbit up for the dogs to run. Hawks, owls, fox, coyotes or some kind of rabbit plague? Who knows?

Head north to Wayne Co. Seen lots of rabbits up there.

(Lackawanna County)

just moved to (TCCE) here very disappointed, no nothing except deer and a few turkey, try to go to different spots regularly, have tried and true straight beagle who can make a white rabbit sweat. new to the area would welcome a hunting buddy to scout old or new areas. Seems to me that in addition to lack of habitat and predators lack of woodchucks, am sure you know rabbits don't dig holes they borrow woodchuck holes it's their lifeline to escaping predators.

(Chester County)

My property used to be bunny heaven. Not anymore. Squirrels are still plentiful, but I think that is because they are tree dwellers. There seems to be a proliferation of Hawks, and Fox here now. I have not heard about disease, but can't rule that out.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit1 View Post
    just moved to (TCCE) here very disappointed, no nothing except deer and a few turkey, try to go to different spots regularly, have tried and true straight beagle who can make a white rabbit sweat. new to the area would welcome a hunting buddy to scout old or new areas. Seems to me that in addition to lack of habitat and predators lack of woodchucks, am sure you know rabbits don't dig holes they borrow woodchuck holes it's their lifeline to escaping predators.
    There's actually more whistle pigs around our area than you think. They just behave differently than they do in the more agricultural areas that I was used to. Much harder to spot in the woods. You'll see them along the sides of forest roads, powerline cuts, that kind of setting.

And welcome to the area!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    My property used to be bunny heaven. Not anymore. Squirrels are still plentiful, but I think that is because they are tree dwellers. There seems to be a proliferation of Hawks, and Fox here now. I have not heard about disease, but can't rule that out.
    Odd, as we are seeing more rabbits here. We still have fox and hawks. The hunters with horses and hounds come and chase the foxes around, but they don't kill them. It seems that the rabbit population has exploded in the last 2 years.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Berks County)

The older I get the more it looks like most of it goes in cycles. From not enough to overrun and back again. One exception thus far is the pheasant, which isn't indigenous here anyway.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Susquehanna County)

Used to have crap ton of bunnies running around just South of the NY border..
    Since spotting a Fisher Cat a couple times we have noticed there are almost no more bunnies Coincidence? I think NOT
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast