Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Stainless steel gun rust

I purposely bought the stainless steel versions of two Springfield 1911's so i wouldn't have to worry about rusting. I left the two guns in an air tight personnel safe for about 8 months before checking them and they both rusted up. I think the moisture in the wood grips caused this. I thought SS was not supposed to rust, maybe its cheap SS. anyway i can get surface rust off with a 3m pad but i have some pitting too and i am not really sure how to get it out without bead blasting it. Any suggestions would be great.

adding pics

Attachment 91548Attachment 91549
    Last edited by spinhat; December 7th, 2016 at 03:32 PM.
    "fom my cold dead hands"

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Stainless steel gun rust

Quote Originally Posted by spinhat View Post
    I purposely bought the stainless steel versions of two Springfield 1911's so i wouldn't have to worry about rusting. I left the two guns in an air tight personnel safe for about 8 months before checking them and they both rusted up. I think the moisture in the wood grips caused this. I thought SS was not supposed to rust, maybe its cheap SS. anyway i can get surface rust off with a 3m pad but i have some pitting too and i am not really sure how to get it out without bead blasting it. Any suggestions would be great.
    3 series stainless does not rust, 4 series does. It is dependent on the amount or chrome and nickel in the alloy. Pitting requires removing metal.

(Berks County)

If it has any iron in it then it can rust. Some stainless steel has no iron, but then it's not really steel. Every grade of stainless used in guns have iron and will rust. They passivate the steel to help protect it. A light acid wash desolves the surface iron leaving chrome that then oxidizes in a very thin but hard layer. The chrome is self limiting as to how far it will oxidize. If you scratch that layer, it will rust if it can. The way the grain structure works in stainless the iron travels deep but not wide. So when stainless goes you had better be quick as it will pit faster than regular steel in a gun. Use either oil, rust inhibiting grease or wepon shield or museum wax to prevent rust on all your guns. Control humidity to less than 50% and know if your body chemistry is bad for rusting guns. If your one of those "lucky" people use cotton gloves at home before storage. Never wrap a gun in cotton cloth for storage as if the humidity get high enough the cotton will pull the water out of he air and rust a fabric weave pattern on your gun. Never use steel wool on stainless, the iron rubbs off onto the gun and can cause rusting. 3m is ok. A polish after with flitz will help close the pores or a bead blast or a passivation bath.

(Bucks County)

To add-

4xx series stainless is magnetic. It is the "cheap" grade of stainless steel

3xx series is only slightly magnetic when heat treated or welded. Cold worked 304 (the most common grade) or 316 (food grade/used in highly corrosive environments) is not magnetic

Every "Stainless Steel" gun I have encountered is 400 series and takes to a magnet like regular steel

(Berks County)

Thought I had an old link to simmilar conversation. Oops.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Thought I had an old link to simmilar conversation. Oops.
    You did.

(Monroe County)

Using a silicon cloth would help prevent it. W/O pics I'd say light oil and 0000 steel wool with a light touch.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; December 6th, 2016 at 08:24 AM.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Using a silicon cloth would help prevent it. W/O pics I'd say light oil and 0000 steel wool with a light touch.
    Wool=bad 3M scotch brite=good horse beat=dead

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Wool=bad 3M scotch brite=good horse beat=dead
    The greenie weenie? eh maybe. Again depends on how bad it is.
    I do like the Dremal bits of them.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    The greenie weenie? eh maybe. Again depends on how bad it is.
    I do like the Dremal bits of them.
    White is a nice finishing pad. Red is a work horse. Green is middle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast