Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 1911 Holster recomendations...Please help

Ok So I carry a 1911 as my EDC. 5 inch R1 Enhanced. I carry it in a Blackhawk holster (I know thats the first problem) Its usually pretty comfortable but the problem I have is when I drive it is super uncomfortable.

I have decided I want to invest in a quality holster and was wondering what you guys would recommend? Im interested in shoulder holsters. I would prefer outside of the waistband, but not opposed to inside. I just want something that is comfortable. I open carry about 50% of the time.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: 1911 Holster recomendations...Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Kumora View Post
    Ok So I carry a 1911 as my EDC. 5 inch R1 Enhanced. I carry it in a Blackhawk holster (I know thats the first problem) Its usually pretty comfortable but the problem I have is when I drive it is super uncomfortable.

I have decided I want to invest in a quality holster and was wondering what you guys would recommend? Im interested in shoulder holsters. I would prefer outside of the waistband, but not opposed to inside. I just want something that is comfortable. I open carry about 50% of the time.
    My EDC is a 5" 1911. My EDC holster is a hand made (my hands, thank you) supertuck clone/variant worn IWB around 3:00-3:30. I am fortunate enough that it rides between the seat belt latch and the seat-back bolster when driving, allowing me not only to carry it there but to draw while buckled in.

As for a shoulder holster - I have been happy with my Miami Classic II when taking week-long trips in the passenger seat, where the door interferes with my standard carry.

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...

ETA: My EDC is tuckable. I tuck my shirt over it at the office, behind it everywhere else.

(Bucks County)

I can remember when cars had room in them. Three in the front. Imagine that? They were called six-passenger sedans. Until the government pushed by do-gooders got rid of that stuff.

As someone who has been carrying 1911s for almost 20 years, my opinion is that there is no good way to carry a full-size 1911 when driving. For that reason, I mostly carry an Officers ACP or a smaller (subcompact) 1911 model with a 3" barrel and a shorter grip. IWB isn't comfortable for me, so I wear an OWB holster at about the 3:30 position on my right side.

Some folks suggest a crossdraw hosler for driving, but I don't see how that can work with a seatbelt.

I tried one of the nice Safariland shoulder rigs, but didn't like it, so it got sold.

As for IWB, I never liked carrying that way either. I'm 6', 180 lbs & there's not a lot of "padding" on my hips, so sticking a holster & big gun inside my waistband & cinching it down tight with a belt was never comfortable, and I've tried just about all of them. The only IWB holster I have left is a Milt Sparks Summer Special & it's not too bad.

I use a Raven Concealment Phantom to carry my 1911's & Glocks. They've been working fine for me for years. If it doesn't feel right when I'm driving, I'll just move the holster to a more comfortable position.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

Sometimes just pulling the gun from its holster and placing it somewhere in the driver's area solves it.

(Erie County)

Have a look a Sam Andrews Custom Leather in Alacula Fla. I have been using his leather holsters for over 20 years and am more than satisfied Andrews Leather Catalog

www.andrewsleather.com

(Montgomery County)

I absoluty like g-code holsters!

(Berks County)

Check out Stirn holsters. I have one of his IWB holsters. It's hybrid style but all leather. I use it for my ruger commanded and it is comfortable.

(Allegheny County)

comfort has a huge amount to do with your build. Especially in a seated position. I found that the old fobus rotoholster mounted on a shoulder rig was very comfortable with a glock 17. IWB I have to wear the holster at about 4:00 or further back and it is comfortable seated but it is relatively hard to get to in the car. If you're thin then crossdraw may be a good option in a car. Also consider a vehicle mounted holster, and use that while driving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast