Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Adams County)

Default Re: So do you eat your deer?

I'll eat anybody's deer. When's dinner?

(Luzerne County)

I eat it but not everyday. I'll make burgers, stew, meetloaf, chili, stuff like that maybe once a week. The steaks I usually save for sometime on the grill. We don't go thru as much as others at my house. This year I harvested 3 doe on our property and the first 2 were donated to families that I know who are having a rough time. Whether I put a deer in the freezer or not my family will be fine but I know that there are others out there who could really use it much more than I could. I only put a small doe in my freezer this year and I already made a big pot of chili so I will be out with the flint/crossbow trying for one more.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed View Post
    I eat it but not everyday. I'll make burgers, stew, meetloaf, chili, stuff like that maybe once a week. The steaks I usually save for sometime on the grill. We don't go thru as much as others at my house. This year I harvested 3 doe on our property and the first 2 were donated to families that I know who are having a rough time. Whether I put a deer in the freezer or not my family will be fine but I know that there are others out there who could really use it much more than I could. I only put a small doe in my freezer this year and I already made a big pot of chili so I will be out with the flint/crossbow trying for one more.
    Good for you.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    I lived on a hobby farm for a few years where we butchered beef, and they always hung for at least a week like you mentioned.

I usually only get one deer a year, but if lightning strikes and I connect in late season archery with a buck in WV I'll let you know!

I have gotten a lot of really rave reviews using the following recipe (I wing it a lot, so my measurements are fluid, change them to taste)
    1lb ground venison
    1/4 lb fatty ground pork or beef
    1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1 egg, beaten well
    2 decent dashes or Worcestershire sauce
    dash of salt
    ground black pepper to taste, I like a good amount
    dash garlic powder

Form into patties and grill those bad boys up!
    Quote Originally Posted by the deer hunter View Post
    I cherish every scrap of deer meat that I can get off of my deer. I butcher my own deer I have a meat grinder to make the ground meat that my wife and I both enjoy it much more than any store-bought meat. If there was some way to eat nothing but deer meat that's what we would do. Some of my favorite ways to enjoy deer meat are deer chili and deer stew. A recent backstrap recipe that I invented is to cut a section of backstrap about 3 inches long stand it on end on The Cutting Board and pounded out flat with a meat tenderizer until it's about half an inch thick slap some red wine vinegar on it and some spices and then a nice dusting of breadcrumbs and into the iron skillet with about a half an inch of piping hot corn oil as soon as the breading is brown on both sides it's done. Best country fried anything I've ever tasted. Cracker crumbs make great breading as well. Makes me hungry just thinking about it I wish I had not frozen a whole deer leg and had been less lazy and cut it up ahead of time now if I want any more steak I have to thaw out a whole leg LOL
    Great recipes guys - thanks for sharing your "secret sauce" and your culinary skills...
    - bamboomaster

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567