Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Best product for detailed cleaning (get into crevices to swab etc)

Cotton swabs are too wide. Is there any product specifically for detail-cleaning guns that let you get into crevices and such, or do I need to just have my gun cleaned annually by a gunsmith who knows how to take it completely apart and not just remove the slide & barrel etc? Each time I've cleaned my guns so far I can do a pretty decent job but I always see some muck tucked away in places I can't quite reach. I try to use a toothpick and some fabric and poke it into those cracks but can't seem to make much headway. I tend to like to take extremely good care of my stuff and my guns are no exception.
    Last edited by darnskewered; December 2nd, 2016 at 07:16 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Best product for detailed cleaning (get into crevices to swab etc)

Go to the dollar store and buy a pack or two of bamboo skewers. The ones I have come in two sizes and the smaller ones are long enough and strong enough to reach anywhere I need. I normally use a cleaning patch with them and can clean out all kinds of crevices and cracks. Toothpicks are too small and feeble for a lot of use. The pointed end of the skewer is close to the same size and just works a lot better.

(Chester County)

A regular nylon bristle brush for cleaning guns (the kind with a large brush on one end and a thin brush on the other) works just fine. When I've initially wiped out all powder off the gun with a paper towel, I take a 3x3 or 2.25x2.25 or 1.75x1.75 patch cut from old flannel pillow covers/bed sheets, put a few drops of my favorite cleaner on it, wrap it around the thinner side of the brush, and use that to clean hard to get areas. Just by shifting the position of the patch on the brush, you can use the same one three or four times. Get a new patch, add some oil, and gently run two or three passes with the brush. Also clean the inside of revolver cylinders this way, forcing cone, front of cylinder, slides, slide rails, inside of slides, inside of magwell, etc.

If I need to clean further, I'll use Qtips. If they have too much fluff on them, I'll peel back a layer at a time just to reach a particularly recalcitrant area. But aside from whatever you use to clean the inside of your barrel, that $2. nylon bristle brush does 99.9% of the rest - and the bristles don't get dirty since you're using the patches.

If you have to "renew" some nylon brushes (or bore brushes for that matter), just squirt some simple green on them, pick up a piece of paper towel, and squeeze the brush a couple of times - you'll see the dirt come off on paper towel. No point in cleaning a gun to your spec if your brushes are dirty...
    - bamboomaster

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs down Re: Best product for detailed cleaning (get into crevices to swab etc)

GI tooth brushes work for me. Or you can do what I did for my M60. Take a shower with it. Just don't let the armorer catch you.

(Bucks County)

I Use Gun scrubber, just spray and watch all the carbon, dirt and other gunk rinse away. Gun scrubber washes away everything so you have to apply lubricant after you use it or your gun will be bone dry.

(Bucks County)

Your described firearm is a semi-auto handgun, since its barrel is removable.

1- Remove grip panels if removable. Remove slide, barrel and any other "upper" parts from frame.

2- Carry frame to a sink or lav having a choice of hot water.

3- Direct full-open hot water from the faucet thoughout the handgun's interior from all possible angles.

4- Remove handgun from the water and immediately shake very hard for several seconds, followed by drying externals with a towel or paper towel.

5- Blow interior dry using a hand-held hair dryer on high.

6- Lube interior parts with a gun oil dispensed via a thin tube, sparingly, as indicated in owner's manual.

OR...see message 5, above.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Or you can do what I did for my M60. Take a shower with it. Just don't let the armorer catch you.
    Ha... we had fuel drums at he armory that were sawed in half lengthwise, filled with GI grade Hoppe's. Field stripped that bad boy and let it soak a while before going at it with brushes. It was actually pretty effective.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Ha... we had fuel drums at he armory that were sawed in half lengthwise, filled with GI grade Hoppe's. Field stripped that bad boy and let it soak a while before going at it with brushes. It was actually pretty effective.
    Unless you have done it, most people have a natural repulsion to mix firearms with water or other unconventional cleaning methods. And unless you sat there scrubbing a pig with your own socks and T-shirts, in a desperate attempt to get a clapped out Piece of shit with 50,000 rounds through it turned in, you relly can't understand. The calling of beer and korean hookers will overpower any possible concept of giving a shit about a piece of shit weapon.

(Bucks County)

After breaking a few wooden skewers, I turned to Pro-Shot's Gun Pick and Scraper Tool (Brass, $7). One end is like a skewer with a blunt point while the other end is a flat bar. Put a patch on either end and I can get into most places . . . and the tool comes out intact. The flat end is particularly great at cleaning channels (eg in pistols and the slides).

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    After breaking a few wooden skewers, I turned to Pro-Shot's Gun Pick and Scraper Tool (Brass, $7). One end is like a skewer with a blunt point while the other end is a flat bar. Put a patch on either end and I can get into most places . . . and the tool comes out intact. The flat end is particularly great at cleaning channels (eg in pistols and the slides).
    I have not seen that, do you have a source or link? Or a LGS that has them!
    Last edited by gghbi; December 2nd, 2016 at 10:29 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast