Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Best product for detailed cleaning (get into crevices to swab etc)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Went out hunting early this morning and did a face-plant while doing a "drive" today through a 3 acre morass on the farm more affectionately know as "THE SWAMP".

You think it's OK to power-wash the mud off the Leupold 7x scope? I looked at the manual and it's supposed to be water-proof

It was a real serious face-plant - NO KIDDING!!!!! I felt like I was back in 2nd grade...

The rest of me is gonna take a shower to wash the crud off - maybe I bring the Model 1895 Marlin in there too?
    Mkay, THAT may warrant a scrubbing.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Mkay, THAT may warrant a scrubbing.
    I'll make sure the missus doesn't miss a spot. And I'm gonna tell her you said so!
    - bamboomaster

(Bucks County)

Deleted - already answered.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    One of these years I'll have to clean my guns and see what all the fuss is about.

Seriously - once I started "needing" to clean four or more guns it became a huge, time-consuming pain in the ass so I pretty much just don't bother.

Keep them lubed/wiped, maybe run a swab through the barrel... done.
    Same here.

There is no benefit to doing a complete stripping down of a firearm to just "clean" it.
    Paying a gunsmith to do so is even more silly.

There is keeping your guns nice and then there is batshit OCD.

Unless you are talking about an auto loading shotgun that was carried through a field of goldenrods while raining or some other extreme event there is no reason to detail strip your firearms and use picks and swabs to clean them.

I have access to free use of an ultrasonic weapons cleaner whenever I like, I rarely take advantage of it because it's a waste of time.

Someone mentioned Gunscrubber, be aware that some of these scrubbers can discolor plastic.

Some carbon build up in little corners isn't going to hurt anything.

Life is too short to spend time with dentalpicks, toothpicks and little brushes making sure the crevices of a firearm are clean.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Someone mentioned Gunscrubber, be aware that some of these scrubbers can discolor plastic.
    What is this word "plastic"? It does not appear in any of *my* gun books...

For those of use that us lever guns, (like my 99's), they "should" be kept a tad cleaner and maintained more often than bolt guns and pumps. (Way more moving tight tolerance parts). Do I field-strip and clean after each day of firearms season? Nope! But I do strip the gun(s) down at the end of the season and especially so if they saw rain, snow and a face-plant into a swamp or in my latest foray, a Pennsylvania Mountain Laurel bush that thought it was a Venus Fly Trap. It wouldn't let me up or out. The gun is on the ground and I'm suspended above it. :< )
    I have a brass pick like thingy that was in an old rifle cleaning kit that is similar to the ProShot pick. I tried it here and there but a brush or two is just as good if not better. Cheaper too.
    I use old tooth brushes and the old green military brushes and combine those with my Remington Squeegee System for barrel cleaning! I don't use the Remington cleaners! Just the squeegee hardware. It cut my cleaning times in half per gun.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    GI tooth brushes work for me. Or you can do what I did for my M60. Take a shower with it. Just don't let the armorer catch you.
    This was actually SOP for us most of the time, a good freshwater rinse (we'd get the funk off us too) to get the salt water and sand out of the M60's and M16's, sometimes scalding hot soapy water and hang them in the breeze to dry before cleaning

(Bucks County)

I happen to have a supply of these for their original dental purpose. So I found that GUM Go-Between Cleaners have some use cleaning firearms.

There are some places where I'd like to use a small brush to reach in and get some cleaner into tight spots. You can't exert any side pressure on these brushes . . . the wire will just bend and the "brush" won't really scrub. But if the brush fits in the spot you want to get to, it will work.

A little reach, a little scrub . . . a little utility.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    What is this word "plastic"? It does not appear in any of *my* gun books...
    Lots of shotgun fire control group housings, pistol grip caps, 7600 dust covers, 1911 trigger shoes, magazine followers, grips butt pad spacers and other common parts on real guns are made of plastic.

(Bucks County)

I agree with the usgi brush, but I also use bamboo chop sticks, and the small red sticks from the cheese and cracker snacks.
    Cut the red sticks to any shape you need. I have a bunch of them; curved, pointed, whatever.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast