Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: PAFOA Logo 9mm AR15 Carbine Build

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I was told that I should expect my brass to be thrown about 15 feet. I grabbed a tape measure out of my truck.

I was standing up by the third furthest post. ("downrange" is to the right in photo)
    This shot shows how far rearward the brass went. (landed by the body of the tape measure)

Well, looky there... 15 feet! (no I didn't fake that)

These aluminum case Federals only go about 5 feet though.

If you go the Colt pattern mag route, PSA has about the best price ($20 on sale) on the 32 rd mags. They are Metalform mags with a PSA marked base plate.
    Great mags.
    I have some 20 rd ASC mags with the orange plastic follower, but haven't yet tried them to see how they work. (Metalforms are flawless)
    And as I already mentioned, get one of the LULA loaders!!!

I had to modify the followers on my ASC mags for them to be reliable, the follower was hitting the feed ramp. I had to round off the front until it no longer made contact with the feed ramp when inserting the mag empty.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I had to modify the followers on my ASC mags for them to be reliable, the follower was hitting the feed ramp. I had to round off the front until it no longer made contact with the feed ramp when inserting the mag empty.

I finally got a chance to try out those ASC brand 20 round mags with the orange, plastic followers today.

They worked FLAWLESSLY.

I've got eight 32 rd Metalform mags now and four of the ASC 20 rd mags. Definitely getting more of the 20 rounders now that I know they work for me.
    $12 for the 20 rd ASC and $14 for the 32 rd ASC is a good bit less than the Metalform mags. (source)

I know I've seen very mixed reviews on "anything other than Metalform" and I was hesitant to get more than four for fear of them not feeding, but all is good!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Generally the worst thing you can do is believe anything you read on the internet.

I finally got a chance to try out those ASC brand 20 round mags with the orange, plastic followers today.

They worked FLAWLESSLY.

I've got eight 32 rd Metalform mags now and four of the ASC 20 rd mags. Definitely getting more of the 20 rounders now that I know they work for me.
    $12 for the 20 rd ASC and $14 for the 32 rd ASC is a good bit less than the Metalform mags. (source)

I know I've seen very mixed reviews on "anything other than Metalform" and I was hesitant to get more than four for fear of them not feeding, but all is good!
    Every day's a Saturday

every time you bump this I have to re-evaluate what I want to buy/build next

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    Generally the worst thing you can do is believe anything you read on the internet.
    I can say with certainty they didn't work in any of my 3 9mm AR's without modifying the followers.

It has to do with the feedramp on the magblock or lower, if they clear the feedramp you won't have an issue. If the follwer hits the feedramp it will malfunction on the last 2 rnds.

(Allegheny County)

They worked FLAWLESSLY.

Good deal, mine took a rounding of of the follower to get them to runn 100%.

(York County)

My post wasn't directed toward any comments in this thread just sayin I personally own a lot of firearms and accessories that have pretty lousy internet reviews and I've not had any major problems with them. I like to read the reviews but if I really want something internet reviews don't weigh into my buying decisions a whole lot and yes sometimes I find out the hard way why some stuff gets bad reviews but most of the time I've been happy with my choices.

Mr. Emptymag how do you get your pictures to look so nice - is it the camera or are you a professional photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I can say with certainty they didn't work in any of my 3 9mm AR's without modifying the followers.

It has to do with the feedramp on the magblock or lower, if they clear the feedramp you won't have an issue. If the follwer hits the feedramp it will malfunction on the last 2 rnds.
    Every day's a Saturday

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    My post wasn't directed toward any comments in this thread just sayin I personally own a lot of firearms and accessories that have pretty lousy internet reviews and I've not had any major problems with them. I like to read the reviews but if I really want something internet reviews don't weigh into my buying decisions a whole lot and yes sometimes I find out the hard way why some stuff gets bad reviews but most of the time I've been happy with my choices.

Mr. Emptymag how do you get your pictures to look so nice - is it the camera or are you a professional photographer?
    Thanks.
    It's just my old Samsung Galaxy S5 phone that I use for photos.

No photographer, but I am a graphic designer so I try to frame the shots to be more interesting than plain, old "straight on" shots.
    I don't have time to crop/edit later so I try to look at the entire frame and background before I take the shot.

I notice my pics aren't as sharp lately. I think my hands are less still as I age. LOL

(York County)

That must be one hell of a camera on the S5 those pictures are awesome.

Thanks.
    It's just my old Samsung Galaxy S5 phone that I use for photos.

No photographer, but I am a graphic designer so I try to frame the shots to be more interesting than plain, old "straight on" shots.
    I don't have time to crop/edit later so I try to look at the entire frame and background before I take the shot.

I notice my pics aren't as sharp lately. I think my hands are less still as I age. LOL
    Every day's a Saturday

(Allegheny County)

Recent photo...

This thing is fun to shoot.

Better than the 22AR15. Not quite as cheap to shoot, but feels like you're actually shooting a real gun.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast