Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kano AeroKroil lubricant

I just came across a can of this "The oil that creeps" and was wondering if anyone every used it on a case stuck in a die (not that this would ever happen to us). Fortunately I have not had one, most likely since I've only been reloading handgun cartridges. I'm thinking of moving on to bottle neck rifle cartridges and understand the importance of proper lubrication to avoid a stuck case. I know items are made to remove stuck cases but does this lubricant help the tool work?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Kano AeroKroil lubricant

I used it but not for that. Couldn't hurt. I don't find it to be as awsome as advertised. It's not bad, it's good in fact. It's just not mirical penetrating oil. You are correct on lube and bottlenecked cases. Too much and dented shoulders, too little and torn off rims and stuck cases. One shot is probibly the easiest to apply correctly.

Thanks for the "One shot" advice, I'm sure I will dent a few shoulders just like a lot of others did before I get it just right. Rather a dent than a stuck case.

(Bucks County)

I would not use Kroil as a case lube. It is a great penetrating oil but it is not supposed to be used for lubricating moving parts. It spreads out to thin. I have been using the Lee lube (works but is a pain) and the RCBS spray lube if I am doing a bunch of cases. Recently got a can of Imperial sizing wax and it is quickly becoming my favorite for rifle cases.

IMO everyone needs a can of Kroil in their workshop though. Forget crap like WD-40, this stuff really penetrates. Saved me countless times with stuck bolts and rusted parts. Usually a shot Kroil on the threads and a light tap with a hammer gets it unstuck. Sometimes a badly rusted bolt need a few applications and let it sit for hours to penetrate. It would be the first thing I grab for a stuck case too.

Benchrest shooters also use Kroil as part of their bore cleaning. It is supposed to get under the copper fouling so you can brush it out.
    Last edited by Delkal; November 30th, 2016 at 10:34 PM.

(Warren County)

yeah I use Kroil for a lot of stuck stuff.

I buy the pints of liquid vs the aerosol.

3 in 1 oil, marvel mystery oil, atf, 5W20 synthetic motor oil, all useful lubes.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I used it but not for that. Couldn't hurt. I don't find it to be as awsome as advertised. It's not bad, it's good in fact. It's just not mirical penetrating oil. You are correct on lube and bottlenecked cases. Too much and dented shoulders, too little and torn off rims and stuck cases. One shot is probibly the easiest to apply correctly.
    Maybe, but the lion's share of stuck case stories I read start with One Shot.

(Bucks County)

A case stuck in a die is not going to allow anything past the seal it is creating within the die.

Since 1971, I have been lubing all manner of cases by rolling them on a pad originally designed for inking a stamp such as a signature stamp.

Charging the pad with a brand reloading lube was the original lube, but for the last ten or more years I charge the pad from a quart container of Gardner Bender 79-006N Wire-Aide Wire Pulling Lubricant, Squeeze Bottle, cost $9 a quart, still on the same quart. Works, is cheap, and trouble-free.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Maybe, but the lion's share of stuck case stories I read start with One Shot.
    Smaller batches, don't try a bucket full at once. I started with a waxy paste and dented almost every 30-06 I got my hands on. Then I'd cut back to save the shoulders and stick on real good. Then I went with the lee white cream stuff, it worked, still got some dented cases but it was messy. Finally found one shot, as long as you can shake the can and get it on all the cases it works well for me.

(Clarion County)

Agree with Bang, it'd take quite awhile if ever for something to penetrate a stuck case.
    Being frugal I use allot of home brew chemicals. I've found a 50/50 mix of transmission fluid and acetone to be an excellent penetrating fluid. Lots of info on the web about it. Depending on the test it rates better than Kroil, shrug.
    Am in the boonies and was in a pinch for case lube one time. Followed a suggestion to use the greasy kid stuff for hair, Alberto V05. Turns out it has a high lanolin content and worked as well if not better than anything I've previously used. Been a couple years and still working on the original tube.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Old timers would use ATF and Acetone in a 75/25 mix. I think thats what the Aerokroil is
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast