• HK p30sk

8 57.14%
  • Both

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Fns9C or HK P30SK

which would you choose and why?

I'm looking for a new CC gun and these both seem to fit the bill. Good reviews, no major complaints.

Not sure how I feel about hammer fired pistols but I'm willing to give it a shot!

Let me know what you think!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Fns9C or HK P30SK

Did FN fix the slide stop battering the bottom edge of the slide?
    Last edited by Gunsnwater; November 29th, 2016 at 09:24 PM.

If you have to ask, you don't deserve the HK. Get the FN. :P
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

I have a P30SK, V3 DA/SA decocker only... It's a good gun, not the best trigger out there though. DA is heavy, but pretty darn smooth. SA break is decent, but the reset is pretty sad on the P30 and P2000. Very long, longer than the other HKs currently available. Ergonomics are best in class, you can get one hell of a solid grip on it after you select the right panels for your hand. If you don't like the DA first pull, get the LEM variant, or go with a safety variant and carry cocked and locked. LEM basically makes every pull the same (unless you hit a dead primer), where you have the takeup length of the DA (with almost no weight), but the wall, break, weight, and reset of the SA. It's the closest thing to a striker fired system in a hammer fired gun.

I think a hammer fired gun is safer. That's not to say that a striker fired gun is unsafe (they're perfectly safe), but there's features that objectively add layers of safety with a hammer fired gun. With DA/SA, you get a long, heavy first pull, where as LEM gets you a long light first pull. In either case, the length of trigger pull helps prevent unintended discharges. And when holstering, you can keep a thumb on the hammer. Should anything find its way into the trigger guard, you'll feel the hammer moving, and you can stop what you're doing, and prevent yourself from sending a round into your leg. None of this, of course, is a substitute for proper gun handling. It's like the seatbelt in your car. Not a substitute for safe driving, but helps you out when things go south.

One question to ask yourself if you have the full size version of either gun, the FNS-9, or the VP9, P30, USP Compact, or P2000. If so, you may want to keep the same brand for magazine interchangeability and handling familiarity.

(Montgomery County)

There are 3 reasons you should go with the H&K.

1) it's an H&K.

2) it's an H&K

3) it's an H&K

Need I say more?

Seriously the quality of this gun is way superior to any gun. The adaptability to one's gripping is by far the best. Accuracy. Is way above most of us if not all. I currently own two. A V1 and a V3. I prefer the V1 LEM light trigger, but it's just personal preference. You'll probably find just as many people that prefer the DA/SA version.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    There are 3 reasons you should go with the H&K.

1) it's an H&K.

2) it's an H&K

3) it's an H&K

Need I say more?

Seriously the quality of this gun is way superior to any gun. The adaptability to one's gripping is by far the best. Accuracy. Is way above most of us if not all. I currently own two. A V1 and a V3. I prefer the V1 LEM light trigger, but it's just personal preference. You'll probably find just as many people that prefer the DA/SA version.

I'm also a V1 light LEM fan. Both my full size P30 and my P30sk are V1 light LEMs and the sk is easily the best carry gun I've ever had.

They go bang every time and the ergonomics are terrific.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I'm also a V1 light LEM fan. Both my full size P30 and my P30sk are V1 light LEMs and the sk is easily the best carry gun I've ever had.

They go bang every time and the ergonomics are terrific.
    Agreed. My P2000 is light LEM as well. Love it. I've never had a single failure with it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I have a P30SK, V3 DA/SA decocker only... It's a good gun, not the best trigger out there though. DA is heavy, but pretty darn smooth. SA break is decent, but the reset is pretty sad on the P30 and P2000. Very long, longer than the other HKs currently available. Ergonomics are best in class, you can get one hell of a solid grip on it after you select the right panels for your hand. If you don't like the DA first pull, get the LEM variant, or go with a safety variant and carry cocked and locked. LEM basically makes every pull the same (unless you hit a dead primer), where you have the takeup length of the DA (with almost no weight), but the wall, break, weight, and reset of the SA. It's the closest thing to a striker fired system in a hammer fired gun.

I think a hammer fired gun is safer. That's not to say that a striker fired gun is unsafe (they're perfectly safe), but there's features that objectively add layers of safety with a hammer fired gun. With DA/SA, you get a long, heavy first pull, where as LEM gets you a long light first pull. In either case, the length of trigger pull helps prevent unintended discharges. And when holstering, you can keep a thumb on the hammer. Should anything find its way into the trigger guard, you'll feel the hammer moving, and you can stop what you're doing, and prevent yourself from sending a round into your leg. None of this, of course, is a substitute for proper gun handling. It's like the seatbelt in your car. Not a substitute for safe driving, but helps you out when things go south.

One question to ask yourself if you have the full size version of either gun, the FNS-9, or the VP9, P30, USP Compact, or P2000. If so, you may want to keep the same brand for magazine interchangeability and handling familiarity.

Awesome info, I currently don't own either brand, and have very little to no experience with either handgun. I like the 3 different size mags you get with the fn but I know the quality and ergos are better on the HK. Gonna try and shootem both and see which one I like

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    Awesome info, I currently don't own either brand, and have very little to no experience with either handgun. I like the 3 different size mags you get with the fn but I know the quality and ergos are better on the HK. Gonna try and shootem both and see which one I like
    They don't come with the gun, but as I implied in the previous post, the P30SK will take magazines from the P2000/USP Compact (13 rounds), and from the VP9/P30 (15 rounds). If you want something to fill in the grip area with these longer magazines, there's a sleeve called the X-Grip that slips over the mag and fits around the baseplate. HK sells them in their webshop online, so at least that's some endorsement. They're designed for the P2000SK, but will work in the P30SK as well. There are also aftermarket extended baseplates available for the P30SK.

(Chester County)

Get the HK P30SK. I have a HK P30 v3 in 9mm and love it. From what I hear the HK P30SK may be a subcompact gun, but it handles like a bigger a gun. As for LEM for DA/SA that comes down to personal preference. I wanted a P30 with LEM, but I found a deal on a HK P30 in DA/SA that I couldn't pass up on.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast