Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Open Carry Denied?

I would love to hear of any experiences any of you had with specific stores, malls or anywhere else where you may have been told you couldn't carry a gun. I usually carry concealed so it hasn't been a big issue for me in the past, but after Mtn. Jack's experience I feel the need to express my right to open carry. I've been told that Cabelas doesn't allow you to carry firearms in their store and if that's the case then they've seen their last penny of my money.
    Don
    Last edited by levergun; August 31st, 2008 at 08:15 PM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Open Carry Denied?

Quote Originally Posted by levergun View Post
    I would love to hear of any experiences any of you had with specific stores, malls or anywhere else where you may have been told you couldn't carry a gun. I usually carry concealed so it hasn't been a big issue for me in the past, but after Mtn. Jack's experience I feel the need to express my right to open carry. I've been told that Cabelas doesn't allow you to carry firearms in their store and if that's the case then they've seen their last penny of my money.
    Don
    I've only been told once time that I couldn't "have a gun here". The person who told me that was wrong.

Cabela's in Hamburg occasionally has a misinformed employee, but I've personally spoken with the store manager on more than one occasion, and it's clear that any lawful carry is permitted. Because of these conversations, Cabela's in Hamburg is the one private business where I would likely stand firm and refuse to comply with a contrary request by any employee, because I have specific and personal information from the store manager, and I am clear on their policy.

^^^I'm not suggesting that anyone else would attempt to do this because of the above statement.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

I was just at Cabelas Friday and OC'ed the whole time. From the greeter to the floor personnel and the cashier, nobody said anything negative. The guy in the archery section even asked what I was carrying.

(Lackawanna County)

um, lately? everywhere i go. old country buffet, the mall at steamtown, the viewmont mall, the walmart in honesdale, mcdade park, all branches of penn security bank. i was even leery of OCing to the italian festival in scranton, but after walking by two cops without issue, i guess i was good to go. i think in some cases it might be race related, to be honest. others have gone to the same locations without incident, and that's all i'm saying about that.

The only place I have been asked to conceal or leave my gun in the truck is my parent's house, by my dear sainted mother, and that was on one occasion only. They had a guest who is deathly afraid of guns. I think it had something to do with him being hunted in Africa by people who wanted to kill him, being hidden in all sorts of awful places for days on end, etc. So I complied. It was my Mom after all, and she has no problems with me OC or CC anywhere or at any other time in their house. She has been out with me in public while I am OCing, and I OC at their house every other time I am there. This was a special occasion.

Cabela's is friendly to OC. I have been in there more times than I can remember now with my gun on my hip.

When I was at Dick's in Whitehall, I thought they were going to ask me to leave, and even asked if they were, but the kid said no. Dick's is so lame when it comes to guns though, that there won't be a reason for me to go back anytime again.

Other than that, nothing so far in the way of problems - well, except for that little incident at the sheriff's office, but after all the screaming, even that turned out well.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    um, lately? everywhere i go. old country buffet, the mall at steamtown, the viewmont mall, the walmart in honesdale, mcdade park, all branches of penn security bank. i was even leery of OCing to the italian festival in scranton, but after walking by two cops without issue, i guess i was good to go. i think in some cases it might be race related, to be honest. others have gone to the same locations without incident, and that's all i'm saying about that.
    You've got balls...what brings you out to Honesdale? That's my territory. Dickson City...I can understand.

Props for OC'n @ the Italian Festival...but there's so many people i doubt anyone noticed.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by SFMarine View Post
    You've got balls...what brings you out to Honesdale? That's my territory. Dickson City...I can understand.

Props for OC'n @ the Italian Festival...but there's so many people i doubt anyone noticed.
    i go ut there once in a blue moon; NE Firearms is one reason, and i just like taking the drive up there for some reason. i used to live in gouldsboro, and before i moved to scranton, i used to go to hamlin and honesdale quite a bit to my shopping, as well as mt. pocono.

(Northampton County)

That's great to hear about Cabelas. Not being allowed to carry in a gun store would be like not smoking in a tobacco shop.
    Don

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Open Carry Denied?

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i think in some cases it might be race related, to be honest. others have gone to the same locations without incident, and that's all i'm saying about that.
    It is.

We discussed this here, ad nauseam, previously, in the "Steamtown Mall" thread.