Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Weaver vs Modern Isosceles for revolvers

Curious as to what everyone here uses for revolver shoting. Also, what hand grip do you use? Is it even safe to grip a revolver with thumbs forward? I recently saw the video of the guy who blew the top of his left thumb off by having the thumb too far forward, next to the forcing cone.

Edit: Do you think it's important to use the same grip for semi-auto and revolver?
    Last edited by tobor; August 31st, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
    Every person is created equal and is entitled to an opinion, but not all opinions are created equal.

-Wise Man, circa early 21st century.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Weaver vs Modern Isosceles for revolvers

I just happened to have a .22 revolver sitting right here on my computer desk down here in the dungeon. I grabbed it and pointed it at the wall with my thumbs forward like I shoot my 1911....the tip of my thumb wasn't even close to the barrel/cylinder gap. The guy that shredded his thumb must have been holding his support hand a lot farther forward...maybe in front of the trigger guard instead of on top of his strong hand.

As to the Weaver vs. Isoscelese debate,....you should learn BOTH...as well as weak hand only. And unless you're practicing for some specific type of competetive shooting, you should do some up-close point shooting as well as shooting from "weird" positions...like sitting, prone, and especially from around cover. In a self-defense situation you may not have time to "set yourself".
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Cumberland County)

I've been practicing my grip and I've been gripping with both thumbs forward. My thumbs aren't close to the front of the cylinder at all.

(Bucks County)

I've shot a weaver like stance for years. When we had a recent training session for gun bloggers with Todd Jarrett, he corrected us to modern isosceles. It's a little awkward for me starting out, but when I tried it, I shot better than I did with weaver.

As someone pointed out, Jack Weaver never shot as well as Todd Jarrett does, so take that for what it's worth.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Westmoreland County)

I started gripping a revolver last year like I do an auto-loader. It took some getting used to but I like the fact that I now have a common grip for both weapon systems.

The guy that tore his thumb off was actually supporting the pistol by placing the bottom of the frame / trigger guard into the palm of his support hand thus indexing his thumb and fingers in close proximity to the forward end of the chambers.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    I've been practicing my grip and I've been gripping with both thumbs forward. My thumbs aren't close to the front of the cylinder at all.
    Right. Same here.

(Chester County)

I've found "push pull" with the arms/ hands to be un-necessary, so my shoulders are not bladed. My grip is as high and tight as the weapons system permits, with both thumbs pointing to the target. I don't shoot revolvers enough to really have a set technique, I typically curl and stack my thumbs on the larger calibers, I've noticed.

My offside foot is slightly forward, but my shoulders are not bladed...when I'm in my stance. I've heard it termed "progressively aggressive" before.

To me, Weaver means push/pull w/ bladed shoulders....I've not seen the purpose of doing this w/ any pistol. The offset between my left (front) and right (back) foot only adds stability to my position.

Like a man much smarter than me once said : Stance is nothing more than a prelude to movement.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Like a man much smarter than me once said : Stance is nothing more than a prelude to movement.
    Very good quote. I agree with the sentiment of that quote, although I don't like the "nothing more" part...

I instinctively stand in weaver stance, either from watching cops too many times or from playing duck hunt too long during my childhood days... However, when I force myself to modern isosceles I do tend to shoot better.