Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Making a smooth bore slug barrel?

Any experience with this? I have a Moss 500 20 Ga. Everything is perfect except the barrel. The end of the barrel is bulged likely because steel shot was put through it with a full choke. I took it to a gun smith and he said nothing can be done except to chop down the barrel. He told me just to buy a new barrel. Anyway I want to keep the bulged barrel and make it a smooth slug barrel. I can chop off two inches right before the next vent rib post and that'll get rid of the bulged portion. Williams sites makes adjustable sites that clamp onto the vent rib. I think I can turn it into a nice slug barrel for around $40. Anyone have any input?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Making a smooth bore slug barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    Any experience with this? I have a Moss 500 20 Ga. Everything is perfect except the barrel. The end of the barrel is bulged likely because steel shot was put through it with a full choke. I took it to a gun smith and he said nothing can be done except to chop down the barrel. He told me just to buy a new barrel. Anyway I want to keep the bulged barrel and make it a smooth slug barrel. I can chop off two inches right before the next vent rib post and that'll get rid of the bulged portion. Williams sites makes adjustable sites that clamp onto the vent rib. I think I can turn it into a nice slug barrel for around $40. Anyone have any input?
    Honestly, I'd just cut it to around 18-20" and call it a day, freebie riot barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    Honestly, I'd just cut it to around 18-20" and call it a day, freebie riot barrel.
    Why not stick the adjustable sites on it? From what I understand smooth barrels shot guns are capable of 2" group s at 50 yards.

(Bucks County)

I would go ahead and cut it down, add the sights. Your reasoning is sound- you have nothing to lose and a new use for the barrel to be gained. Limiting yourself to 50 yards is a good idea, though I have taken deer out to 100 with a Foster slug.

It will cost you very little to accomplish what you want to try. I say give it a go. You have nothing to lose. It goes without saying that a rifled barrel using sabot slugs will produce superior accuracy, but at a much steeper cost.

Ya, I think I'll do it. I bought the gun used for very little. It's in pretty much like new condition except the barrel. Mossberg is running specials on replacement barrels now. At least that's what says on thier website. I can spiffy up the damaged barrel real nice for little money. From what I've been reading online the Williams sites seem popular and I should be able to get good groups out to about 75 yards with a smooth barrel.

(Tioga County)

It sounds like a good plan to me. Modify the damaged barrel and buy a second barrel and you have a multi-purpose shotgun with little invested.
    MikeP

Use rifled slugs in it and accuracy should be decent. Velocity loss will be negligible. Obviously you don't want to cut it below 18".

(Bucks County)

I paced off 70 paces and fired a rifled slug from my 16 gauge Iver Johnson open bore (I had sawed off the choked area) and hit the target where I wanted to. Surprising what rifles slugs can do.

(Bucks County)

I used to get pretty good groups at 50 yds with a 28" smooth bore vent rib barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast