Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Am I ignorant about this range rule or has range become too Jerseyfied ?

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I probably would have packed up and left, as soon as some fucker started talking to me.
    If you had a momentary lapse in judgment (that happens on occasion) that the RO or another club member respectfully and courteously reminded you about, you would sill get a boo-boo lip and leave?

Default Re: Am I ignorant about this range rule or has range become too Jerseyfied ?

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Gotta wonder how much lead is on the grounds of trap/skeet/clays ranges. Don't know how it would be possible to reclaim it all.
    Yes there is companies who come in and reclaim shot. It's quite common actually. I'm not going to say they get every pellet. You can buy reclaimed shot for reloading your own shotgun shells. I think they skim off the top layer of soil and run it through a machine similar to gold mining equipt. where the dirt it washed away and shot sinks down and is collected in some kind of container.

Hey bud, I’m familiar with heritage, went there a few times. I agree it is “Jersified”, but you need to also consider the location. HG is less than 10 miles from dirty J, and any given day you’ll see several Jersey plates in the lot. It’s also nearby Easton and Allentown which are both areas known to have higher crime rates and active street gangs. Those RSOs are on edge, I know some even wear body armor. Best thing to do is join a local club where people know what they are doing, and there is at least a screening process so you don’t end up in Fuddville. Relic hunter in Coply is a little better, but still has a very tight leash because of the looney toons that come in. Sadly the area is a gun tourist location for NY,NJ types who “want to go out to the country and shoot some guns”.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rsim89 View Post
    Hey bud, I*m familiar with heritage, went there a few times. I agree it is *Jersified*, but you need to also consider the location. HG is less than 10 miles from dirty J, and any given day you*ll see several Jersey plates in the lot. It*s also nearby Easton and Allentown which are both areas known to have higher crime rates and active street gangs. Those RSOs are on edge, I know some even wear body armor. Best thing to do is join a local club where people know what they are doing, and there is at least a screening process so you don*t end up in Fuddville. Relic hunter in Coply is a little better, but still has a very tight leash because of the looney toons that come in. Sadly the area is a gun tourist location for NY,NJ types who *want to go out to the country and shoot some guns*.
    Thread is over 5 years old and the OP hasn't posted anything since August of last year.

(Northampton County)

6 years later and the Heritage Guild still sucks. It looks nice, but that's all it has going for it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    If you had a momentary lapse in judgment (that happens on occasion) that the RO or another club member respectfully and courteously reminded you about, you would sill get a boo-boo lip and leave?
    I wouldn't want anyone talking to me. I'm not a chatty guy.

Haven't shot at a indoor range since '90..........and don't intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Haven't shot at a indoor range since '90..........and don't intend to.
    Same here.
    FJB

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I won a new toy in a raffle; a S&W 9mm Shield Ported.
    Today was the first chance I had to take it to the range and fire it.

The local outdoor ranges to which I have a memberships; were both too congested for my liking and it was starting to rain.
    So I went to the local indoor range; Heritage Guild.
    Since obtaining a membership to the outdoor ranges a couple of years ago; I don't go to Heritage more than 2 or three times per year.
    And the last two times I've gone to Heritage. I've had some interactions with the range officers that gave me the feeling it's becoming too (for lack of a better vocabulary) "Jerseyfied".

The last time; before today; I went there. I had a range officer begin to give me a talking to about laying down, on the bench, a Pietta 1873 SAA "without it's cylinder open".
    It took a couple sentences of me correcting him that these Colt SAA clones; or the real thing; do not have cylinders that swing out.
    All that can be done without disassembling the gun; is to open the little loading gate. Of which mine was open.

Today when I went there. I was opening carrying my Taurus revolver on my hip as usual. Which has never, ever been a problem before; at Heritage or any other range.
    One of the range officers noticed it; and began giving me their usual speech about how to remove it from my holster; strong side facing down range and placing directly on the bench.
    I said yes I'm aware, and that I was not going to be shooting that weapon.
    At which point he immediately said he doesn't think that is allowed.
    And then turned to the other range officers asking if I was allowed in the range, with a holstered weapon, that I was not going to be shooting.
    They promptly said yes it was allowed.
    After which I said to him "Really ?! That's a range policy ?".
    His reply was "Yes, sometimes it is."

After getting back home, I looked at their website to verify their rules.
    I could not find any rule stating that you must fire holstered weapons at the range.
    The closest rules I could find; which have never changed for as long as I know; are:

• All guns must be cased or holstered when not in the shooting port.
    • Only one gun uncased or unholstered at any time. If two people in port, only one shooter at a time. Pass gun by placing it on shooting bench, not hand to hand.

So; is it sometimes a range rule; at Heritage or any other range; that if you bring a holstered weapon into a range you MUST fire it ?
    If yes; what is the reasoning behind it ?

Or are my last two interactions with range officers at Heritage simply a case of it growing, having more patrons from NJ than PA, and possibly having more NJ range officers ?

Thanks;
    Your story says "yes it was allowed ". Then you go on about like it isn't allowed. Which is it?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123