Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default testing carry ammo question.

I always test a few boxes of self defense ammo in any autoloader I carry. I try to run at least 100 rounds through before carrying that ammo. That can get expensive if you change ammo brands.
    I had been carrying Hornady Custom in my LCP. It uses the XTP 90gr. bullet and has an advertised 1000fps. I recently changed to Fiocchi Etrema which also uses the XTP bullet and advertised at 1000fps. Hornady now sells the American Gunner which also uses the same XTP bullet and same FPS. My LCP has been 100% reliable with everything I've fed it.
    My question is, I know there can be some differences in powder and pressures between manufacturers but am I wasting money by testing hundreds of rounds that are so very similar, same bullets and same specs? When I switched to Fiocchi I bought two boxes (50 rounds), ran 37 through for testing and kept 13 for carry. I staggered Hornady Custom and Fiocchi in the mags and couldn't tell any difference in the way they fired.
    The Hostler

(Bucks County)

Default Re: testing carry ammo question.

I wouldn't say a waste of money, but I would consider the length of the barrel and how much difference various powders can achieve in such a short time. I think you have satisfied yourself that various brands produce reliable pistol function...the most important consideration in a defense carry combination. Beyond that, since your question refers to pressures and differences in powders, it is missing information without a chronograph.

I see that you are driving the same projectile at the same speed using three different brands (which may in actuality all be the same manufacturer badging the products for the marketers). You cannot detect any differences. I would expect any differences would be in loudness of report and flash brilliance beyond the muzzle, and the differences in terminal ballistics so small that from that standpoint a waste of time and money...except for the proficiency gained with the gun, which is never a bad thing. Unless you are inadvertently forming and reinforcing bad shooting habits.

(Berks County)

Personally I test drive any ammo changes. I don't rely on their claims. I would rather blow some cash and know for sure than take any chances.

(Indiana County)

Does it work? Good, end of discussion. Bad guy getting hit squarely with a JHP round isn't going to care whether the round is traveling 900 fps or 1000 fps.

Some people worry about such things. I don't.

But, if you want to, then go for it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I wouldn't say a waste of money, but I would consider the length of the barrel and how much difference various powders can achieve in such a short time. I think you have satisfied yourself that various brands produce reliable pistol function...the most important consideration in a defense carry combination. Beyond that, since your question refers to pressures and differences in powders, it is missing information without a chronograph.

I see that you are driving the same projectile at the same speed using three different brands (which may in actuality all be the same manufacturer badging the products for the marketers). You cannot detect any differences. I would expect any differences would be in loudness of report and flash brilliance beyond the muzzle, and the differences in terminal ballistics so small that from that standpoint a waste of time and money...except for the proficiency gained with the gun, which is never a bad thing. Unless you are inadvertently forming and reinforcing bad shooting habits.
    Quite true! The ability to function in your firearm is the first point to cross from the list after you've been satisfied. And you are quite right that manufacturers will put a label on the same item under a variety of branding that, depending on manufacturing tolerances, almost show the same degree of variation if you run them over a chrony...

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Personally I test drive any ammo changes. I don't rely on their claims. I would rather blow some cash and know for sure than take any chances.
    Honestly, this is the only way to satisfy yourself that makes you 100% confident in your ammo: the ability to function in your firearm. Velocity and penetration don't matter so much unless you're shooting through a grizzly. If you get the rounds that work for you "on target" with reliability and repeatability, you're probably good to go.

There's a "7-5-3" school of thought:

1. Draw your weapon and present it for self-defense purposes at 7 yards with a stout "BACK-OFF MUTHER-FUCHER!"

2. Dump two rounds at 5 yards - I've seen you shoot, headshots are no problem,

3. If they're still coming, mag-dump at 3 yds into center mass and step out of the way when gravity seems to be working. Then be sure to eject the mag and put in your spare, while keeping your head on swivel.

I actually hate describing the 7-5-3 plan because it isn't as palatable as a contribution to a 401(K) or a donation to a 501(c)(3). And the 7-5-3 plan is missing parentheses!

I just think there's a new reality here that wasn't quite apparent 5-7 years ago.

Smart folks here have to change (who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?), adapt, and more importantly, survive.
    Last edited by bamboomaster; November 25th, 2016 at 07:00 PM.
    - bamboomaster

Confidence it what you carry (isn't that a catch phrase for a firearm company) makes all the difference in the world. If shooting more than 50 rounds to test function in your particular pistol is required to reach that level of confidence, then I say go for it.

(Bucks County)

I have some XTP's from both Hornaday and Fiocchi in 9mm 124 +P and standard and 230 gr .45.

Didn't notice any difference between the brands except the Fiocchi's are usually a buck or two cheaper, and their cases are nickle plated.

I picked up some American Gunners too when hollow points were scarce. Haven't tried them but I'd imagine they're pretty identical to the regular Hornadys.

But does it work? Nevertheless thank you so much for this information.

I see no point in testing a lot of the new ammunition if it's using the same bullet and loaded to the same overall length as what you previously tested. The only purpose fulfilled by test firing a few boxes is to ensure that the ammo feeds reliably through your pistol. Shooting holes in paper provides to information as to how well the bullets will perform if used in a real world situation.

(Susquehanna County)

Tis the testing season.. head to local pumpkin growner and buy a truck load of cheap pumpkins.
    They definitely tell a lot more about what a SD round will do to a body than any piece of paper
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast