Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Lawrence County)

Default Re: Anyone get a bear?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyoas759 View Post
    I got my first Monday evening. 335lbs and a good deal of work. Posted the story and pics in the success thread on here.

Nothing wrong with small bears. The average pa bear is 158lbs. A deer you can look at and judge the size pretty easily. Bears are very hard to have a perspective on since they all look about the same from far away. Every pa bear is a throphy.
    Congrats, 335 is a great bear, my first bear in PA was 200 and I thought I was going to die getting it out.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    First bear.....small....but taken with a handgun.

I got a small bear with a handgun Saturday in 3D. My first bear and managed to do it with a handgun. Bear was about 75lbs. I would have liked it to be bigger, but it's my first.....and done with a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum.

I was walking a trail through some scrubs, when I heard 5 shots from down below. I stopped and waited, thinking maybe something might run my way. The trail has a bend and I heard and saw black running my way. Before I could get the handgun out of the holster, the nice sized bear ran into the scrubs. I said........fiddle-sticks!!!

But not 30 seconds later, I hear and see black coming through the scrubs at me. I figured the bear ran back down the hill, but came back up when it confronted the shooter(s). I was ready this time, had the gun out and put the front sight on the shoulder of what I thought was the returning big bear. Through the scrubs, I found an opening and pulled the trigger. The bear only ran a short distance and expired.

When I walked up to it, I saw that it wasn't the big bear I had seen 30 seconds earlier, but a smaller bear. While tagging the bear, two smaller bears broke through the scrubs and continued on to my left. About a minute later, I heard a sound to my right, turned and saw the larger bear.

Apparently what happened was the person who shot the 5-shots was shooting at the sow or one of her cubs. The sow was the first one to break out onto the trail I was on, spot me, then go back into the scrubs. When I heard and saw black, I assumed it was her as I had not seen or heard any other bears. What had happened was she ducked into the scrubs and the smaller ones continued my way.

I had posted the picture on a black bear hunting page on Facebook with the macho men saying I shot a dog, while others complimented me on my first bear. Years ago, these macho men would have shot this bear, then left it to rot in the woods. Right now, the bear is at my taxidermist waiting for me to decide what type of mount or rug I want to get.
    I think they got on your case because it is illegal to shoot a bear that obviously just got out of surgery. Just saying.
    Last edited by MachineGunKelly; January 15th, 2017 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    First bear.....small....but taken with a handgun.

I got a small bear with a handgun Saturday in 3D. My first bear and managed to do it with a handgun. Bear was about 75lbs. I would have liked it to be bigger, but it's my first.....and done with a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum.

I was walking a trail through some scrubs, when I heard 5 shots from down below. I stopped and waited, thinking maybe something might run my way. The trail has a bend and I heard and saw black running my way. Before I could get the handgun out of the holster, the nice sized bear ran into the scrubs. I said........fiddle-sticks!!!

But not 30 seconds later, I hear and see black coming through the scrubs at me. I figured the bear ran back down the hill, but came back up when it confronted the shooter(s). I was ready this time, had the gun out and put the front sight on the shoulder of what I thought was the returning big bear. Through the scrubs, I found an opening and pulled the trigger. The bear only ran a short distance and expired.

When I walked up to it, I saw that it wasn't the big bear I had seen 30 seconds earlier, but a smaller bear. While tagging the bear, two smaller bears broke through the scrubs and continued on to my left. About a minute later, I heard a sound to my right, turned and saw the larger bear.

Apparently what happened was the person who shot the 5-shots was shooting at the sow or one of her cubs. The sow was the first one to break out onto the trail I was on, spot me, then go back into the scrubs. When I heard and saw black, I assumed it was her as I had not seen or heard any other bears. What had happened was she ducked into the scrubs and the smaller ones continued my way.

I had posted the picture on a black bear hunting page on Facebook with the macho men saying I shot a dog, while others complimented me on my first bear. Years ago, these macho men would have shot this bear, then left it to rot in the woods. Right now, the bear is at my taxidermist waiting for me to decide what type of mount or rug I want to get.
    Very cool man!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234