Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default AK Building offer / Need your ak Built?

Looking for a winter project. If you have a kit you want me to put together for you let me know.

No charge.

I can only put together on a 100% receiver.

Can not manufacture I'm not an FFL. I can not accept profit, again not a FFL.

If you have a collection of AKs and want a free build I am not helping you.

This if for the guy who wants to put an AK together but the process looks a little daunting.

I have all tooling and fixtures to assemble. I have built many and build to a higher standard then most manufacturers. The whole process will be photographed for you. You need to provide all rivets and components.

Tooling I have:
    Milling machine
    Press
    Fixtures
    Dimpling tooling
    Headspace gauges in 7.62 and 5.45 (not 5.56 yet but if you provide I can build one)

If you want me to finish the gun I can only epoxy finish. No blueing or park.

As to why I am offering. This process can be really expensive to only build one or two rifles. The learning curve can be strong as well. I found that I enjoy the process and with winter coming I need something to do. I am in York county.

(Berks County)

Default Re: AK Building offer / Need your ak Built?

You can not offer to do that, unless you are a manufacturer and have all your licences and taxes paid. Do not pass Go.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You can not offer to do that, unless you are a manufacturer and have all your licences and taxes paid. Do not pass Go.
    Was under the impression if it was for profit or if I was manufacturing it would not be ok?

(York County)

Under your assumption would it not also be illegal for me to put a rail on a friends AR?

Maybe you did not see where I said I can not manufacture the receiver? It would need to be provided.

I do see some stipulation of keeping the firearm over night but all seem to reference paid services.

I am not trying to argue with you. If it's a no go I would like to just know why.
    Last edited by mcarroll1987; November 20th, 2016 at 11:01 AM.

its best to only build for yourself, there are too many "gray areas" once doing it for others. IMO youd be better off hosting a build party where everybody does their own work.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    its best to only build for yourself, there are too many "gray areas" once doing it for others. IMO youd be better off hosting a build party where everybody does their own work.
    Ok well thanks for the heads up guys. If anyone needs to borrow any tools let me know.

(Berks County)

I believe you could let someone use your resources with your oversight. That would be a terrific help to someone who wants to learn to build.

While you can't manufacture a receiver for profit, I'm not so sure that there's anything particularly unlawful about taking parts from a non-prohibited PA resident, assembling them on a rifle receiver, and then giving the assembled gun back, UNLESS it's done for profit. I'd need to look into it before rendering an actual opinion.

Where people got into trouble before, was where they set up "build parties" where "80% receivers" were machined using someone's CAD/CAM machine, and money changed hands. The process of programming a milling machine to turn a blank into a receiver, for money, was deemed to be "in the business".

Handguns would be different. Doing it for profit would be different. Gunsmithing for extra cash is "in the business". If someone can show me where a person got into trouble for assembling parts on an excise-tax-paid rifle receiver and giving it back without compensation to a non-prohibited resident of the same state, in compliance with all state transfer laws, I'd welcome the info.

There could be ITAR ramifications, but I believe (someone can check this) that you also have to be "in the business" before even the new lower ITAR threshold kicks in.

My understanding of a standard AK build is that there's not a lot of machining. You have to press the barrel in. You may need to either tap some holes or peen some rivets. Parts kits often require removal of scrap. But building a gun on a serialized complete receiver in the manner described, is not what got folks in trouble with ATF.

Again, this is not the final word on this, I'm open to citations to the contrary. I'm between dinner and some family stuff now, so I gotta run.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. The law prohibits a person from assembling a non–sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be detected by metal detectors or x–ray machines. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o), (p) and (r); 26 U.S.C. 5822; 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

IANAL you tell me is the proposal distributing? Also, AK so 922 proof of compliance? So much grey. The idea of teaching is much better. Just because a guy hands you a reciever doesn't mean they arnt prohibited. Nor is it proof a guy offers such services that they are not prohibited. People who play with fire get burnt.

Point to OP yes building requires an investment in tools and more, it is a hobbie just like a boat. You put money into it, you don't get money out of it. You do however get to have done something with your time here on earth. That is the pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. The law prohibits a person from assembling a non–sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be detected by metal detectors or x–ray machines. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o), (p) and (r); 26 U.S.C. 5822; 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

IANAL you tell me is the proposal distributing? Also, AK so 922 proof of compliance? So much grey. The idea of teaching is much better. Just because a guy hands you a reciever doesn't mean they arnt prohibited. Nor is it proof a guy offers such services that they are not prohibited. People who play with fire get burnt.

Point to OP yes building requires an investment in tools and more, it is a hobbie just like a boat. You put money into it, you don't get money out of it. You do however get to have done something with your time here on earth. That is the pay off.
    922 (o), (p), and (r) are irrelevant to this situation; (r) is about making a post-ban imported gun using too many imported parts, (p) is about undetectable guns, and (o) is the post-86 machinegun ban.

What IS relevant is 922 (a):
    (a) It shall be unlawful—
    (1) for any person—
    (A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; or
    (B) except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce;
    (2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that—
    (A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;
    (B) this paragraph shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer from depositing a firearm for conveyance in the mails to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who, pursuant to the provisions of section 1715 of this title, is eligible to receive through the mails pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person, for use in connection with his official duty; and
    (C) nothing in this paragraph shall be construed as applying in any manner in the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any possession of the United States differently than it would apply if the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or the possession were in fact a State of the United States;
    (3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;
    (4) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, to transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986), short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, except as specifically authorized by the Attorney General consistent with public safety and necessity;
    (5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    (6) for any person in connection with the acquisition or attempted acquisition of any firearm or ammunition from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, knowingly to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement or to furnish or exhibit any false, fictitious, or misrepresented identification, intended or likely to deceive such importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector with respect to any fact material to the lawfulness of the sale or other disposition of such firearm or ammunition under the provisions of this chapter;
    (7) for any person to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition, unless—
    (A) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
    (B) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the purpose of exportation; or
    (C) the manufacture or importation of such ammunition is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General;
    (8) for any manufacturer or importer to sell or deliver armor piercing ammunition, unless such sale or delivery—
    (A) is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
    (B) is for the purpose of exportation; or
    (C) is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General; [1]
    (9) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, who does not reside in any State to receive any firearms unless such receipt is for lawful sporting purposes.

Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast