Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Mold Remediation?

Anyone have any recommendations for mold remediation companies?

There is some mold in our attic which we had tested and an estimate for before we purchased the house. The lab result came back as common mold and the estimate from ServePro for about $400. Now that we've closed we had servePro come in to do the work and now they're saying the mold is "black mold" and has spread, and will now cost $2k+.

Quite frankly the mold looks exactly the same as it did during the inspection and they're basis for calling it "black mold" is the color of it. Needless to say my wife and I are very frustrated being jerked around by them.

Other than that, we love our home and living here! its been busy unpacking and cleaning, had to get a leaf blower so I don't become that neighbor that doesn't take care of the yard. Haven't been able to change drivers license yet tho, so no fun stuff yet.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Mold Remediation?

Almost sounds like bait and switch. I would trust a lab result over any visual eval. If ServePro screwed up, they should make it right and give you a serious discount for getting it wrong in the first place. Hopefully you have pictures or a report that you can use as leverage, call the regional office and see what they say.

Good luck!

(Allegheny County)

Scrub it with bleach

^^^THIS

I was on a job a couple years ago and there was a mold crew there. You would have thought someone dropped some uranium in the house
    the way these guys were dressed. I wanted to go to the basement to get something, the mold guy is like YOU CANT GO DOWN THERE WITHOUT THESE,
    (suit and mask) I'm like yeah, ok, move over I'm coming through.

What a scam.

(Delaware County)

Its more than likely not black mold....what happens is the moisure from a bath exhaust or residual moisture get trapped in attic and it will grow...Chances are its benign. I would make up a bleach to water mixture and spray the moldy area with it.....5:1 water to bleach. make sure you don't wet any insulation in the area. Home depot sells a mold inhibitor as well. It can be used to spray area to keep mold from reforming.

Black mold tends to have a pungent odor assocated with it. I would use a mask to keep whatever mold spores from being inhaled....

I would tell Servpro you are going to write them up on Yelp and slam the crap out of them. Don't use them. Chances are they won't even do the job right for 400 bucks. You can do it yourself for a lot less. if you want some more info or advice...send me a pm.

(Berks County)

Diluted viniger in water kills mold. Need to keep the area dry. I run a dehumidifier.

if you have mold in the attic you have a ventilation issue.
    Spray it with mold inhibitor by the instructions on the label, get it from Home depot.
    Look to see if your eave events are blocked, and see if you have a ridge vent or a gable vent that are blocked by insulation.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Delaware County)

I should have asked where the mold was found. Most of the time in an attic area, mold will form on the underside of the roof sheathing and on the framing. As others have indicated, make sure you have cross ventilation in the attic area. The situation should be fine over the winter....mold does not do well in the cold.

(Luzerne County)

Get a second opinion. Or at least a second quote.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. We got a second opinion, and my wife likes the second company much better. They're going to epoxy paint the whole side of the attic and chimney flue for less money. Still a lot of money but the wife wants it professionally done since we have a baby and one on the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast